The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

KLL
No, but if i was to post here i'd hope people where wolud help me indicating what parts on my CV i still need to work on to increase my chances.

lets see it then.
Reply 61
uthinkilltellu
lets see it then.

see what?
Reply 62
Your CV, I presume he means.
Reply 63
Well
IB at an international school, 31 Points (the school later thought that there was a glitch in the grading, as our year did comparatively very bad eventho we had much better predicted grades than the ones we actualy got).
Half a year in the International Chiense Langauge Programme at National Taiwan University
2 Years Busienss Economics at University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany
Half a year part-time internship (during the term) at a consultancy, specialized on HR
Was in the Stock Exchange Club at Uni (basicaly a society thats about investmetn), was designated Chairman, but I rejected as i left the uni.
and starting this year, BA Banking and Finance at University of Leicester

Looking to go into either IB (S&T, Equity Resarch looks like my main areas of interest), private banking, portfolio management, corporate finance or consulting.
Might also go an do a Masters first.
Reply 64
Is it possible to get in FO IB from Leicester?
Reply 65
IITian

They have a top rated economics department (Bankign and FInance is part of it) and were 12th on this years ranking.

London offices would only be my second or third choice anyway, i'd prefer Zurich or Frankfurt. Wouldn'T even mind if its a tier 2 or so, as its less about the money than about doign something i'm itnerested in.

Oh and i forgot to mention that I trade stocks, warrants and CFDs (forex mainly) on my own account.
And I was invited for a GS non-seasonal internship interview after first year. Got rejected tho, but shows I can get into stage 1 at least. Was also invited to Paris for SocGen but they wanted the interview during my exam time so they picked someone else :-/
IITian

no.
Reply 67
Originally Posted by uthinkilltellu
no.

thats a bit harsh... what if he gets a first? still no chance?
Reply 68
sahil112

No because uthinkilltellu said so! LOL
Reply 69
Originally Posted by uthinkilltellu
No because uthinkilltellu said so! LOL

o.k agreed that uthinkilltellu is very knowledgeable but the person must have some chance if he got a first...
Reply 70
sahil112
o.k agreed that uthinkilltellu is very knowledgeable but the person must have some chance if he got a first...

Dude, I was being sarcastic. He has a good chance because of his ec's and interests!
sahil112

i'm sorry, i was being a bit harsh. yes you can get into FO, but only in illustrious banks such as HBOS, Lloyds TSB, B&B et al. i can understand having asprations, but there has to be a bottom line somehwhere people.
IITian
Dude, I was being sarcastic. He has a good chancebecause of his ec's and interests!

now you are simply joking.
Reply 73
uthinkilltellu
i'm sorry, i was being a bit harsh. yes you can get into FO, but only in illustrious banks such as HBOS, Lloyds TSB, B&B et al. i can understand having asprations, but there has to be a bottom line somehwhere people.

I guess you are studying Economics at oxbridge/LSE to be making these claims?
Reply 74
uthinkilltellu

which is why i was gonna go for a masters if i don'T get a decent job.
But as you can see, FO at a BB isn'T the only thing i'm interested in.
IITian
I guess you are studying Economics at oxbridge/LSE to be making these claims?

no, but i do have a bit of common sense, not a lot mind you, but just enough to know that, without playing the nepotism card, it is next to impossible to get into FO with a degree from leicester.
Reply 76
uthinkilltellu
no, but i do have a bit of common sense, not a lot mind you, but just enough to know that, without playing the nepotism card, it is next to impossible to get into FO with a degree from leicester.

In London maybe, but even so, Leicester has apparantly gotten itself quite a good overall reputation lately and if it keeps increasign at this rate it might well be a Top10 uni when i graduate.

I actually asked the HR guy from GS what unis he'd recomend i nthe UK and he pretty much said that most decent unis would be ok. He mentioned either Lanchester or Leicester, forgot which one.. but they're similar in ranking anyway.
KLL
In London maybe, but even so, Leicester has apparantly gotten itself quite a good overall reputation lately and if it keeps increasign at this rate it might well be a Top10 uni when i graduate.

I actually asked the HR guy from GS what unis he'd recomend i nthe UK and he pretty much said that most decent unis would be ok. He mentioned either Lanchester or Leicester, forgot which one.. but they're similar in ranking anyway.

i don't disagree with you - leicester is a good uni with a good econ dpt and you'll prob love it there, but lse, oxbridge, ucl, warick, imperial, notts, kcl, etc. are ranked higher in terms of grads getting into IBs.
Reply 78
uthinkilltellu
i don't disagree with you - leicester is a good uni with a good econ dpt and you'll prob love it there, but lse, oxbridge, ucl, warick, imperial, notts, kcl, etc. are ranked higher in terms of grads getting into IBs.

Yes, I agree, I jsut don'T think that its gonna be as near-impossible as you think.
KLL
Yes, I agree, I jsut don'T think that its gonna be as near-impossible as you think.

prove me wrong my friend, prove me wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest