The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought I was anaemic last year, I used to feel faint quite a lot, used to nearly pass out whenever I "came on", was very tired, had a sore tongue (one of the symptoms) and so my mum bought me some multivitamins that contained iron and I started taking one of those everyday. I also started eating more red meat and spinach (both high in iron) and in a month or so I was ok.

Maybe try taking multivitamins and eating those iron rich foods ^^ and see if it makes a difference. If not, go to the doctor.
Reply 21
wellerism
Cause im not a medical student, so i have no idea what a TFT is...
So how do you know that it's not the preferred test?

and when i went to the doctors and suggested i might be anaemic, they sent me for a bloodtest so im generalising my experience...
Even if you had precisely the same symptoms, I'd point that there is at least one significant difference between you and the OP. :rolleyes: Generalising my arse, you were pretty ****ing certain until you were called out.

And did you misspeak? Or were you just gobbing off with such certainty about something you don't understand that you now want to forget now that you've been called on it?
Reply 22
get yourself some tonic or vitamin juice with iron in it.
I-said-haha
I had anemia a couple of years back, it isn't too serious. If you are diagnosed with it eats lots of red meat and you can get ferrous sulphate over the counter for quite cheap too.

It is if it gets very severe. My mum could have died because she was so anaemic a few years ago, and she had to have a hysterectomy to sort it out.
Renal
It ****ing well can be. :rolleyes:

true, i did almost get hit by a bus when having a dizzy spell. But if it's under control and you're doing the right things then it doesn't have to be serious, also iron tabs is what i was taking. I've been working in a pharmacy for over a year and that's what the pharmacist usually suggest you take after you've been for blood tests.
Reply 25
**CutiePie**
So.. My bf's nan thinks I may be a little Anemic due to the fact Im always extremly cold, tired and stuff.. Anyone else suffered with this? Should I Go to the doctors or is just a waste of time?

Hey I was anaemic, I felt tired all the time, sleepy pale skin etc was prescribed ferrous sulphate (iron tablets) and was really helpful even if you have a slight iron deficiency its best to check it out as there's no harm in taking supplements :smile:
Reply 26
Go to the doctors get a bloodtest.
If you are they'll just give you iron tablets.
Reply 27
You should go to the doctors. I think I'm quite likely anaemic myself, but haven't got it checked out yet.
Joining in the bandwagon :biggrin:
I'm anaemic too.

Op, just get it checked out, all it takes is a little blood test. ^^;
Reply 29
Renal
It ****ing well can be. :rolleyes:

I love how you turn up at every kidney related question :biggrin:
Reply 30
MoonFace
I love how you turn up at every kidney related question :biggrin:
I think this is far more likely to be related to something else than the kidney. :wink:
Reply 31
Renal
I think this is far more likely to be related to something else than the kidney. :wink:

Yeah I know, I've probably just scared her senseless with that as well... Whoops :smile:
I'm anaemic - it's not a huge deal. You get tired more than usual and look sorta pale but that's about it. You'll need to be prescribed iron tablets to take daily if you ARE anaemic, so yes it's worth checking with the doctor (you'll have a blood test done) but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
All those people who keep banging on about iron tablets...

Seriously. Do you know how much iron is in one helping of red meat? Plenty.
So if you think you might be anaemic simply increase the amount of red meat and green leafy food - The reason for the later is not only do some of them have iron in, but more importantly the vitamins (esp Vit C) they contain aid the uptake of iron.

Try that for a few weeks and then go back for a repeat 'Nan anaemia checking'.
Its cheaper, tastier and 'natural'.

J
Jamie

So if you think you might be anaemic simply increase the amount of red meat and green leafy food - The reason for the later is not only do some of them have iron in, but more importantly the vitamins (esp Vit C) they contain aid the uptake of iron.

J

yes, eating leafy green veg, red meat, iron enriched cereals, and a hefty helping of liver is good for getting iron, but when you're anaemic it's sometimes not enough to get you back on track. You need the ferrous sulfate to give you a boost back into not being anaemic. THEN you can carry on with a nice healthy iron-rich diet.

edit: I guess you could do it with just diet but you'd have to pretty much stuff yourself with iron-rich foods.
**CutiePie**
So.. My bf's nan thinks I may be a little Anemic due to the fact Im always extremly cold, tired and stuff.. Anyone else suffered with this? Should I Go to the doctors or is just a waste of time?

The symptoms could be due to anemia, but it's probably not that.

I'd recommend getting a blood test done in any case. If I was taking a guess, I'd have to say hypothyroid.
Jamie

J

Hm, Ascorbic acid only assists uptake to a slight degree. Folic acid and Vitamin B12 are much, much more important, especially in individuals with intestinal sprue. (Not that she has that, but who knows.)
Reply 37
Jamie

J

bona fide bullcrap.
Reply 38
KwungSun
bona fide bullcrap.
Substantiate or shut it.

What Jamie suggests sounds good to me, applies basic medical management principles, minimises risk and adverse effects increases health with minimum intervention.

But apparently you know better, this ought to be good. :colone:
Misogynist
Hm, Ascorbic acid only assists uptake to a slight degree. Folic acid and Vitamin B12 are much, much more important, especially in individuals with intestinal sprue. (Not that she has that, but who knows.)

Really?

Have you got a source for that info..? [I never knew B12 and folate aided iron uptake, and am somewhat dubious of the mechanism. Heck, I don't believe it at all]

Latest

Trending

Trending