The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep.
Jon7
Can provisional driving license be used for an official ID? :yep:

By official, do you mean getting into clubs and bars, that sort of thing?
Yes, but you need you're counterpart and the photocard together for it to be official. :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, never had any problems using mine.
Reply 5
juicyfruit
By official, do you mean getting into clubs and bars, that sort of thing?

Oh yes :smile:
Reply 6
Normally yes. However there are some places which will only accept a full driving license, not a provisional.
Jon7
Oh yes :smile:

Then yes I should think so, I've not needed to use mine yet, but friends have used theirs and have had no problem :smile:
Reply 8
Yes but having 2 forms is best - I have the problem of my provisional not looking like me - it's a REALLY good picture *cough*
Dstbgre
Normally yes. However there are some places which will only accept a full driving license, not a provisional.

I never understood that rule. As long as it proves your ID and your age then there shouldn't be a problem!
staticrhubarb
I never understood that rule. As long as it proves your ID and your age then there shouldn't be a problem!

The problem is that when you have a provisional, no-one has verified the picture on there is you! you can send any old rubbish pic in. A full driving license will have been seen by an examiner. Fake (ie getting someone else's putting your pic on it) can be a big problem
Reply 11
fragreaper
The problem is that when you have a provisional, no-one has verified the picture on there is you! you can send any old rubbish pic in. A full driving license will have been seen by an examiner. Fake (ie getting someone else's putting your pic on it) can be a big problem

What is this rubbish? I work for the DVA and provisional applications need to be be ID checked.

Yes they do count as ID, as long as you have a new style licence (colour as apposed to black and white).
That reminds me, i need to send of for one of these, how much do they cost, and is doing it online the quickest way? ive got a passport sized photo, but i cant get that online..
Yeah, they can be used as ID.
Reply 14
Bear_Grylls
That reminds me, i need to send of for one of these, how much do they cost, and is doing it online the quickest way? ive got a passport sized photo, but i cant get that online..

Online is fastest and it costs £50.00 :yy:
Reply 15
fragreaper

Why did noone tell me this when I was 17?
Reply 16
Robob
Why did noone tell me this when I was 17?

Because it's a pile of crap.

It's advice like that which makes my job so hard - having to send so many applications back because they don't send valid ID.
Reply 17
staticrhubarb

Yeah thats what I thought but some of the clubs in Reading will only accept a full one or a passport.

SusDev
What is this rubbish? I work for the DVA and provisional applications need to be be ID checked.

Yes they do count as ID, as long as you have a new style licence (colour as apposed to black and white).

I was told by my old instructor that, whilst you do get ID checked for a provisional, you get a more through ID and background check when you upgrade to your full one making it much harder to commit fraud. Dont know if this is true though.
Reply 18
SusDev

Yeah they ask for your passport number when you fill in the form and they take the picture directly from that. What do you mean colour as opposed to black and white? I got my provisional last august, and the picture's black and white. They said that b&w is the new standard for the pictures as its harder to forge or something.. i dont remember what they said, but it was part of the security features on it - better protection than colour. Like its laser imprinted into the card or something.
Reply 19
Plato123
Online is fastest and it costs £50.00 :yy:

£50!!!:eek:

Latest