The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why are you anonamous. Are you embarassed your lecturer died or something?
Sorry to hear about that :frown:

Yeah, the teacher who first encouraged me to consider higher education and to put more into my secondary education was shot dead just like 2 hours after he told me how proud he was of me for getting As, turning up to class, and applying to college.

It was so messed up, because in a way he saved my life- if I hadn't put my energy into the classroom and my job, I would have ended up either in prison/dead/screwing up my life. And then he dies in a way that he spent ages trying to avoid for me. It took me ages to stop blaming myself and he was a good man and he didn't deserve it. I wish he was around now- his son got into Oxford last year. And on a more selfish note, I wish he was around now to see how ready I am to go to a great university (though that kind of depends on Thursday).
Reply 22
GeorgEGNT
I had a physics teacher in year 12 who fell ill, we were told he had cancer in his face and brain but that he was responding to treatment. I never saw him again. 4 months later he was dead and I was traumatised.

He helped me scrape a grade in physics and I never had the chance to shake his hand, buy him a pint and say thank you. A week or so later I was being congratulated by the head of science for pulling the grade off and I was given a note simply saying 'Well done mate, Mr B' which he wrote in hospital. I'll never forget him and what he did for me.

Aww man! What a teacher! :]!

What a nice man he was too to it sounds like =) I'm sorry you never got the chance to thank him properly, sounds like he deserved it very much so!
A few years after finishing school i found out my tutor had died. She apparently left a class half way through and went to the girls bathroom and collapsed, some students found her and she was taken to hospital but was on a life support machine for a few days but it was eventually turned off. She died of a brain hemorrhage, so sad as she obviously thought it was just a headache but it took her life.

I was really upset when i found out as she had been a brilliant tutor and really nice person, she was only in her 30's. Everyone i have spoken to since school have said that they were upset when they found out.

A real wake up call to ensure you enjoy and make the most of life.
Mackieee
Aww man! What a teacher! :]!

What a nice man he was too to it sounds like =) I'm sorry you never got the chance to thank him properly, sounds like he deserved it very much so!

Yeah he was a great man, at our school we have two teachers per subject for timtabling, the other teacher was ready to throw me off the course along with the head of subject. He stood there n said no, just watch him he'll do it type thing. He sat in at lunchs n things giving me tutoring n stuff, what a guy. I mean he was a friend/teacher (if you know what I mean) as well, after school on friday I'd have the odd pint with im (teachers went to black horse along with a group of students)

He was a remarkable teacher, so young too it was just such a tragedy he left behind a beautiful wife and 2 baby children too. Its just really shocking. It always happens to the best people, but hey, I'll get my chance to thank him eventually. I'm happy enough knowing that he knew he helped me.
our old music teacher died whilst i was in year 8. though she was a little bitch so i didn't really react in any way. as heartless as it sounds. she died of a brain hermorrage (sp :P). but one of my friends spread a rumour around saying the other music teacher threw her down a flight of stairs because she wanted her job as head of music. (yes, we all knew it was only that - a rumour).

though i think i would be devistated if a teacher that i looked up died.
Reply 26
An all teacher of mind died. She got cancer and she went from being lively and bubbly to frail and old looking in such a short amount of time. It was so sad...

The old care taker died too. He was lovely. Such a shame!
GeorgEGNT
Yeah he was a great man, at our school we have two teachers per subject for timtabling, the other teacher was ready to throw me off the course along with the head of subject. He stood there n said no, just watch him he'll do it type thing. He sat in at lunchs n things giving me tutoring n stuff, what a guy. I mean he was a friend/teacher (if you know what I mean) as well, after school on friday I'd have the odd pint with im (teachers went to black horse along with a group of students)

He was a remarkable teacher, so young too it was just such a tragedy he left behind a beautiful wife and 2 baby children too. Its just really shocking. It always happens to the best people, but hey, I'll get my chance to thank him eventually. I'm happy enough knowing that he knew he helped me.

Ern you didnt by anychance go to hermer did you
brokenangel
Ern you didnt by anychance go to hermer did you

No Whitley Bay High School, why similar situation at your school like?
GeorgEGNT
No Whitley Bay High School, why similar situation at your school like?

my old school very as in nearly identical.
Holty-Dave
why are you anonamous. Are you embarassed your lecturer died or something?
Doesn't want to be Id'd.
Reply 31
I emailed my old uni friend and she is in shock and feels upset too, I think he may be on our mind for a while. Can stress cause leukemia? I would hate to think so as he was head of the business school and always seemed stressed out :frown:
Reply 32
Withoutadoubt
I'm pretty sure it leads to cancer in the liver, mouth and throat.

It doesnt "lead to" cancer. It slightly increases the risk.

Just like how smoking doesn't "lead to" cancer, it only increases the risk.
Reply 33
Not long after a left school one of our best teachers collapsed while teaching PE - he was dead!
It was a huge shock since he always seemed so healthy. He was one of my favourite teachers and it still brings tears to my eyes just writing this post.
Reply 34
Anonymous
I emailed my old uni friend and she is in shock and feels upset too, I think he may be on our mind for a while. Can stress cause leukemia? I would hate to think so as he was head of the business school and always seemed stressed out :frown:

many things can cause cancer, stress is one of them since it can lead to a weakend immune system and your immune system is constantly batteling mutated cells and killing them before they can develope into something serious. But it could have been many factors working together or even genetics.

I wouldn't think about the causes of his illness so much, that's not what he would want to be remembered for. Maybe you and your other former students should all write your best memories of him as a lecturer and make a scrap book of sorts to give to his wife?
Reply 35
R.i.p.
My Music Theory teacher died from cancer, aged 49. I never got to thank her for getting me a distinction :frown:
7 months later my best friend died from cancer.
6 months after that, one of my favourite PE teachers died from cancer.
An old English teacher, who took early retirement due to cancer and whom I keep in touch with via Facebook, is still battling the disease. It's horrible to watch him suffer from so far away (he lives in Italy now).

Latest

Trending

Trending