The Student Room Group

Wisdom Tooth Cutting Inside Mouth

My wisdom teeth seem to have been coming through for about the past 3 years now. I've felt pain from them off and on throughout the years but for about 3 days now, on one side of my mouth one of the teeth has been cutting the inside of my cheek everytime I eat, talk, yawn, etc! It started off as just a mild pain but now its really sore, even if I bite down or swallow I can feel pain in my mouth and around my jawline. I was just wondering if this is normal for growing wisdom teeth? Or do I need to see my dentist about it?
Reply 1
I had that too and it went away, your mouth gets used to it I suppose. But go to the dentist if it persists.
Wisdom teeth are a pain. Sometimes I think the wisest thing would be to get rid of them!
Reply 2
Aquamarine.
My wisdom teeth seem to have been coming through for about the past 3 years now. I've felt pain from them off and on throughout the years but for about 3 days now, on one side of my mouth one of the teeth has been cutting the inside of my cheek everytime I eat, talk, yawn, etc! It started off as just a mild pain but now its really sore, even if I bite down or swallow I can feel pain in my mouth and around my jawline. I was just wondering if this is normal for growing wisdom teeth? Or do I need to see my dentist about it?

It's quite common, but I don't know if it's normal. Go ahead and see your dentist, you don't want to be cutting your mouth. Not a could, nor pleasant place to be getting cuts :no:
It could be that your wisdom tooth has finally come through properly cos every time mine comes through a little bit it rubs the inside of my mouth raw. But it could also be that the wisdom tooth has come through squint or impacted and it needs to be removed.
If it persists, see your dentist.

And I hate my wisdom teeth too but the last thing I want to do is get rid of them! I hate dentists!!!
Mine kept doing that and making me bite my cheek when I ate or talked so I went to the dentist and they whipped it straight out. The same thing's happening with another one now but they won't take it unless it keeps getting infected as it's too close to a nerve to do unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully it'll be the first case for you!
Reply 5
Aquamarine.

Mine did this as well it is horrible - and it's also been going on for 3 years! they seem to grow in stages...

Keep dosed up on ibuprofen or paracetamol and get some bonjela to put on your cheek.
Reply 6
Aquamarine.

buy some bonjela (sp?) like stuff to put on the wound and use the purple listerine mouth wash to prevent infection.
That happened to me, it's normal, your cheek will get used to it. But if you think it really is a massive problem or haven't had your wisdom teeth checked out by a dentist yet, then now might be the time to go and get it done.
Reply 7
Aquamarine.

Yeah it's normal, it's called an impacted wisdom tooth. Wisdom teeth are known for being a lot of trouble. A lot of people end up having them removed because they cause some sort of trouble. The same's happening to mine. If it gets worse I'll have to go and get them removed even though I'd rather die but that's just how things are. I'll die from the pain of them slicing my face apart so I might as well go get em removed before that happens.

They can impact with the side of your jaw or the other teeth and make them move around, sometimes they come up the wrong way with the side coming up instead of the top.

Either way, if they hurt you a lot, go see your dentist.
Reply 8
Happened to me too, I went to the dentist and they have me Corsodyl, a gum mouthwash that I think you can get from Boots.
Reply 9
If it's impacted get it sorted. I left mine for years and ended up with a huge chunk of one of them falling off, massive decay and a LOT of pain. If you have to have it out, which is likely because wisdom teeth either grow through straight or are total pains in the backside, and get progressively worse, and are worried about it, you can be sedated, or even knocked out (although this means you would have to go to a hospital as dental surgeries can't knock you out anymore). Really depends how bad you are with dentists! I have panic attacks with check ups so they didn't even suggest me having (all four) of mine removed at the surgery, and referred me to the hospital.

Keep an eye on it - if the area around the gum because really swollen or white in colour you could have an infection which is easy enough to get rid of - the dentist would be able to sort it for you.
if its the upper one which is digging down and biting your cheek, then the easiest thing is to have it out, upper ones come out easily and don't cause much trouble afterwards

I had this earlier this year, it had been bothering me over Christmas and I was set to go travelling in February, so I had it out, didn't have any pain after, in fact I didn't use paracetamol or anything. Just about the easiest thing I have had done at the dentists.

The problem if you leave it is that your jaw muscles start to ache because they are not letting you close properly and are trying to protect it, so you can get headaches from it.
Reply 11
I had a similar problem where it lead to some kind of mouth ulser and then the whole of my right cheek had begun to swell up. Damn it was painful, didnt know if i should've seen a dentist or a doctor but eventually it went away after using bongela! lol
Reply 12
It's just a natural process and somethin you'll have to deal with i'm afraid. If the pain gets too bad take sum painkillers. But y'know what they say what doesnt kill you only makes u stronger. :-)
Mine were like that and I had a dentist appointment booked so mentioned it then. He said they looked perfectly fine, even though one was on a slight angle, one was cutting my mouth and leaving no room to brush behind! So tbh, let them grow first before you start thinking about them. They do hurt, but try Dentyl (Pink with Cloves) as Cloves are good for wisdom teeth.
Funguy
I had a similar problem where it lead to some kind of mouth ulser and then the whole of my right cheek had begun to swell up. Damn it was painful, didnt know if i should've seen a dentist or a doctor but eventually it went away after using bongela! lol

thats the problem - if you leave it untreated it will cause more problems

see a dentist asap, he/she will give you the best advice

Latest