The Student Room Group

A level subjects for law

I'm going to study: Economics, Chemistry, English language/literature and History, I aspire to study law, possibly at Oxford/LSE. What I want to know is whether these subjects are good choices to study law, especially at Oxbridge. In terms of career, I either want to carry on with law, or become a chartered accountant, so that needs to be considered too. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
I think history and english are good for law. :smile:

I think those choices are fine :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, that's an excellent selection.
Reply 3
Sulman786
I'm going to study: Economics, Chemistry, English language/literature and History, I aspire to study law, possibly at Oxford/LSE. What I want to know is whether these subjects are good choices to study law, especially at Oxbridge. In terms of career, I either want to carry on with law, or become a chartered accountant, so that needs to be considered too. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Why English Language/Literature and not just one of them?

I will be applying for Law but don't know where yet and I take Economics, Englsih Literature, Psychology and Government and Politics.

I think History will help you with the essay writing technique as will English Language/Literature and possibly Economics.

Your subjects give you a 'good rounding' but you should probably get other points of view.
Reply 4
sleekchic
Why English Language/Literature and not just one of them?

I will be applying for Law but don't know where yet and I take Economics, Englsih Literature, Psychology and Government and Politics.

I think History will help you with the essay writing technique as will English Language/Literature and possibly Economics.

Your subjects give you a 'good rounding' but you should probably get other points of view.

Well, I enjoy both types of english, language give you analytical techniques and literature more in depth study. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Do what you want, just make sure you get three As in them!
Reply 6
Not sure about economics? rest seem sound :smile:
Reply 7
I would say Economics, Chemistry and English will give you a good mix but the above are all good choices. However I think going to a top uni and having a law degree then diverging into Accountancy is pretty odd considering other fields with such a degree you could enter.
Reply 8
Think about changing Chemistry for Maths; especially if you do go down the accountancy route. :smile:
Reply 9
Check your information; Economics is highly respected by both institutions. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Sulman786

Your subjects are definitely good for Law but if you are also considering becoming an accountant i would swap chemistry for maths. The chemistry is not really necessary.
London School of Economics. Lol.
Makaveli_The_Don
London School of Economics. Lol.

That wouldn't necessarily mean that they like Economics A Level. Law schools don't necessarily like Law A Level.

Even though I'm sure everyone loves Economics A Level and thinks it's respected, your logic is flawed.
Reply 13
I'm continuing with my subjects: History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Law are they good subjects for wanting to study law at uni
Reply 14
sally_m
I'm continuing with my subjects: History, Eng Lit, Eng Lang and Law are they good subjects for wanting to study law at uni

Yes very good, bar Law but if you enjoy it do it. You still have 3 solid subjects; also what grades are you predicted?
Reply 15
I got AAAB at AS but was predicted AAAA
Reply 16
Well, I was thinking of taking Maths, and I'm predicted A* at GCSE (aaahhhh results in 2 days) but I've heard so many stories of how difficult it is at A level, and combined with the new A* grade needing over 90% I wanted to take subjects I'm comfortable with. I'm really good at practical maths, like the normal arithmatics etc, but at things like surds etc, im not so sure. Therefore, I had hoped that economics would give me better analytical/essay based skills and Chemistry would demonstrate my ability in terms of maths because of all the calculating involved. Basically, I'm substituting maths with Chemistry and Economics so that if I did want to do an ACA course, I can prove my maths ability, because firms like Deloitte only want an A at GCSE and a 2:1 degree in any subject.
Original post by tucker672
Yes very good, bar Law but if you enjoy it do it. You still have 3 solid subjects; also what grades are you predicted?

Sorry, but English Language is considered to be of "more limited suitability" according to Trinity College, Cambridge.

Latest