The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

i have no idea how to do that spoiler thing sorry :frown: so dunno if this will work
Reply 121
AnnyRoquentin
Because there is nothing inspiring, intelligent or original to be found in anything here. I've posted something more constructive and precise in another thread 'photography habits' or something. Anyway. The content of these photographs is so so mundane, please god, I can't look at another sunset or flower. There is no thought behind anything, has anyone thought about why they're taking this photograph? Why are they showing it to people? What to they want people to gain from it, what influences this? What does it represent? Time? The death of time? Can a photograph ever represent time?
My god, there is such extensive theory behind photography, yet people do not pay attention, and carry on snapping away at that goddamn sunset.
Any idiot can be trained to perfect the technical use of a camera, digital or analogue, to get any result they desire. However where is the creativity, thought and intelligence?

My God you are so pretentious.

I like lots of photos on this thread because they look beautiful.

Show us yours then!
Man, most of these are amazing. I need to buy myself a good camera!
i like this one cos of the guys' facial expressions

i like this one cos it's what i, as a performer, could see from the scary raked stage of Buxton Opera House

i know they're not like particularly arty or technical, but i really enjoyed takin the pics cos i am passionate about theatre:smile:
Reply 124
Fleece
Ok you REALLY have to help me out now cos it's driving me mental. Where is that first pic taken? I really recognise that island and I can't help thinking it's blatantly obvious... Please tell :o:

The island is Jethou, the pic's taken from Guernsey
Reply 125
they're just snaps, but I still like them.

Spoiler

holiday snap.

Spoiler

obligatory 'floral'

Spoiler

kitty!
amazing pic by OP
:yep:

Spoiler

This is the only one that I like.
Reply 128
AnnyRoquentin
Because there is nothing inspiring, intelligent or original to be found in anything here. I've posted something more constructive and precise in another thread 'photography habits' or something. Anyway. The content of these photographs is so so mundane, please god, I can't look at another sunset or flower. There is no thought behind anything, has anyone thought about why they're taking this photograph? Why are they showing it to people? What to they want people to gain from it, what influences this? What does it represent? Time? The death of time? Can a photograph ever represent time?
My god, there is such extensive theory behind photography, yet people do not pay attention, and carry on snapping away at that goddamn sunset.
Any idiot can be trained to perfect the technical use of a camera, digital or analogue, to get any result they desire. However where is the creativity, thought and intelligence?

Oh dear god. Get over yourself.
Miss Scarlett

I <3 no. 1!

But im a guitarist...
AnnyRoquentin

Well post some of your shots that fill these criteria if you are so keen to point out flaws in other peoples work.

I am sure no one here thinks theyre the best photographer in the world, its all subjective to personal opinion. My idea of a great shot is different to yours etc. You've put your point across of what you want to see now back it up with some shots to illustrate it. I'd like to see it, I am interested. :^_^:
Reply 131
Not the best quality owing to the camera (pre DSLR days!) and the lighting but I still really like it, because a) it reminds me of one of the best days ever, and b) I just really like the colours, and being that close that you could see the sweat on him :smile: Awesome gig.

Looks a lot better in the original format.

I also like this one purely for the vibrant colours

This one cos...who doesn't love a good monkey fight?

I like how these guys are sitting too. I photographed these guys for about half an hour. They were so interesting.

And finally one of my favourite places on earth.

None of them are super amazing, but they mean something to me, and that's what I think photography should be about. Heart behind it, not brains.
Reply 132
I agree Fleece. To someone else, pictures are just pictures, good or bad. To you, there personal, and remind you of a certain place and time. I have pictures from every single day on my 7month trip around Asia, and as such its like a diary of what I got up to. Its brilliant looking back at the clips cause you can actually remember being there, and what you got up to on that day! It doesn't even matter if the pictures ****, its the way that photos can bring back memories which is the best thing, and they don't have to be good to do that.
Ewan
I agree Fleece. To someone else, pictures are just pictures, good or bad. To you, there personal, and remind you of a certain place and time. I have pictures from every single day on my 7month trip around Asia, and as such its like a diary of what I got up to. Its brilliant looking back at the clips cause you can actually remember being there, and what you got up to on that day! It doesn't even matter if the pictures ****, its the way that photos can bring back memories which is the best thing, and they don't have to be good to do that.

Do you have your photos from Japan hosted anywhere? I'd love to see them. :smile:
Reply 134

Reply 135
Hi Anny,
I forgot to sign the negative reputation I left to you - for that I apologise.
Also apologies for replying to you so long after your post was made. I've just flown home from Prague, and was thinking about your post during my travelling, it actually quite annoyed me.
At the end of the day, this thread was created for people to post what THEY deem their "best" photograph. Let me remind you that we aren't professional, semi-professional, hell, most of us aren't even amateur photographers. Bear in mind that some people occasionally just randomly take photos, and for whatever reason those photos actually mean something to them. The photo might just "look nice", and the poster may be quite pleased with the performance of their £20 phone camera whilst out in Ibiza, or the photo might have some deeper meaning to the poster, whilst it may have no meaning to you.
One prime example here is of the guy who posted the photo of his friend on a motorbike. The photo isn't technically that great, it lacks image quality, and it doesn't really give out much of a message. However, to the guy who took the photograph it means a lot. His friend died and those photos serve as a meaningful memory of him, most likely bringing back fond memories and many emotions and for that reason it is a bloody brilliant shot.
I made a similar "Post your best photograph" thread on a forum used by many professional photographers. There was a huge response, nearly a hundred replies. Most of the photos were quite creative, very technically impressive. However, one guy then posted a bog standard holiday snap portrait, not straightened, destroyed by flash, not perfectly in focus. The photo just pictured a woman smiling and laughing at the camera, she wasn't amazingly attractive, she wasn't pulling a funny face (like in your profile picture), she wasn't posing.
The guy who posted the photograph then gave a brief reason as to why he had chosen that photo as the best photo he had ever taken. His reason was that the photo was of his wife, who had convinced him to finally spend the money to start the hobby he always wanted to start in photography. That photo was the first photo he had taken with the camera, and was taken just before they went on holiday. His wife died a few days after they returned from holiday.
The responses to the thread then sky rocketed. Everyone took a moment to sit back and study this photograph. The happiness in her face, the crudeness of the photo, the story behind the whole thing. At this point, all responses after that agreed that his photo was the best in the entire thread, and that his photo was what photography is all about.

At the end of the day, maybe it is YOU who has a distinct misunderstanding about what photography is about. It isn't about pleasing the likes of you, it's about pleasing yourself. Who gives a **** if I haven't explored various photography techniques, or if I've done something a thousand other people have. At the end of the day, I'll have produced something that I'm proud of, and I'll be happier for doing so. No doubt you're reading this and thinking that I'm just a little plebian who doesn't know what he's talking about, and if so, then I have little hope for you. You won't get far in life with that attitde, and certainly won't get anywhere in your photography career if you just stick to technicalities.

I can't believe I wasted the time to type this out to you. You don't deserve it. Don't ever disgrace this forum again with your stuck up attitude.

AnnyRoquentin
I think this is the most disheartening thread I've ever seen.

That post is quite simply the most disheartening post I have ever seen. Who the hell do you think you are.

AnnyRoquentin
Believe me, I'm not saying anything has to be abstract or edgy. Maybe you've missed my point My main problem is perhaps more with peoples definitions of a 'good photograph'. Naturally, this is going to differ from person to person. But photography is an art form, and art shouldn't exist just to look pretty.

It just seems such a shame that there are so many intelligent, interesting and profound concepts behind photography which can be explored by anyone (new to photography or not), and yet they are completely ignored by most, in favour of an image which just looks aesthetically pretty.
The great thing about photography is that you decide what to shoot and you decide whether its good or not. If other people like it its a bonus; shooting for enjoyment is the key thing. Its a hobby not something that has strict rules about what is good or not.

I'll pop some of mine up later. :wink:
Reply 137

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not my best, just some random ones I quite like.
More of mine ^.^

My parrot =D These are some of the first pictures i ever took with my S2 IS, going back a few years now...

Reply 139
karlet

I love these, they're gorgeous and have a great feel to them.

Quick Reply

Latest