The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would personally say re-sit the Chemistry, I got 78 in B1, so i decided to retake, It all depends on what you want in the end! I have a feeling that the maximum mark was 45 but i can't be sure.
BTW you don't have much chance of finding your raw mark because the mark you are given is done by the UMS scale which can be a bit misleading and will change every year and will be different in every subject depending on how hard the exam was. For Example, I did P1, C1, and B1 in Jan 2008, I got something like 29/45 on C1 which you think would give me like a C, I got 94 or something on the UMS scale which meant I got an A*, It's very misleading!

EDIT: You maybe be able to get your raw marks from your teacher in september
Reply 2
What's the UMS scale?
Reply 3
Ask your teacher for advice, they should know.
Maximum for written papers is 45. You can find the raw to UMS on the AQA site.
Reply 5
Uniform Mark Scale, it basically is when the raw marks are adjusted and messed around with to give a mark out of 100 (it's all dependent on the difficulty of the paper and how the rest of the country found it! so on a really hard paper you could need 25/45 for 90% UMS marks, whereas on an easy one you may need 37/45 for 90% UMS marks), it basically means that once all the marks are adjusted there are easy to understand boundaries meaning an A* needs 90% UMS, An A needs 80% UMS etc
Reply 6
Plato123
Ask your teacher for advice, they should know.

But I don't want to wait 2 weeks to find out how well I've done :frown:

*Goes off to AQA*
Reply 7
vicyvix
Uniform Mark Scale, it basically is when the raw marks are adjusted and messed around with to give a mark out of 100 (it's all dependent on the difficulty of the paper and how the rest of the country found it! so on a really hard paper you could need 25/45 for 90% UMS marks, whereas on an easy one you may need 37/45 for 90% UMS marks), it basically means that once all the marks are adjusted there are easy to understand boundaries meaning an A* needs 90% UMS, An A needs 80% UMS etc

So will the results on my paper be in UMS?
Reply 8
If you request the paper back the results should be in raw mark, but I've found them on the website if that's any help, it has the raw marks and UMS marks separtly but with all hope you should be able to convert it!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BOUND-JUN08.PDF
Reply 9
Ok, Thank you guys.

Latest