The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm a size 6/8, I'd like to get back down to a 4 - but I doubt I'll ever get there again.
Yeah it's known to be size 16, yet what makes me laugh mannequins in most if not all shops are like size 6/8 so tell me how that works?! :?
ELSHA
a size ten waist? isnt that 24 inches???

because the models at storm,
have to be 22 or 24 inches, due to the new laws.
and thats either a size 8 or 10.

I'm pretty much a dead on size 8 depending on the item of clothing (sometimes a bit smaller than 8) and my waist is about 26 inches, so, it can't be.
I'm an 8 but still curvy rather than skinny but I'm 5ft 2 so thats not a bad size for my height I guess
I'm a 16, I'm currently on a diet though trying to get down to a size 12 (which is the size I'd prefer to be at my height of 5'6"), and I've already dropped from a size 18 in the last 6 weeks. I've never really been small though (I was 11 years old the last time I wore size 8 jeans), I'm the fat bitch that compensates for all the little size 8 girls out there and drags the average up!
Reply 45
Ilora-Danon
I don't think they do a national 'poll' - I think it's based on sales numbers; most popular/recurring sizes sold in shops. Just a guess.

Oh ok.

out of curiosity I just measured my waist and hips, since a few of u other girls have given stats...turns out I'm 32-25-32
Reply 47
Apocalypte
I'm a 16, I'm currently on a diet though trying to get down to a size 12 (which is the size I'd prefer to be at my height of 5'6"), and I've already dropped from a size 18 in the last 6 weeks. I've never really been small though (I was 11 years old the last time I wore size 8 jeans), I'm the fat bitch that compensates for all the little size 8 girls out there and drags the average up!

Thats not good dont think about yourself that way!
Youve gone down from a size 18 you should be proud of yourself, and considering youve gone down from a size 18 you cant be fat at all and im sure youre not a bitch :biggrin: .
It'll only be 14/16 if you include older people, you know, when middle-age spread kicks in. For this demographic, I'd wager 10-12 is closer.
Reply 49
ELSHA
a size ten waist? isnt that 24 inches???

because the models at storm,
have to be 22 or 24 inches, due to the new laws.
and thats either a size 8 or 10.

Different shops size garments differently. Here are some links to high street chains' size guides which say that a 28 inch waist is a size 10:

http://www.jackwills.com/Jack/Help.aspx (go to sizing)

http://www.newlook.co.uk/navigation/sizing_wash_care.aspx

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticPageDisplay?storeId=12556&catalogId=19551&identifier=ts1%20size%20guide%20and%20washcare (size given in cms - equivalent to 27.7 inches)

At Warehouse, a size 10 is a 27 inch waist: http://www.warehouse.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=SizeGuide&pgForward=content

Equally, there are a few shops, e.g. Monsoon I think, where a 28-inch waist would definitely be a size 12. But I don't think there are many shops at all where you'd see a size 10 as having a 24-inch waist.
Reply 50
I'd say size 14/16 is a correct average, as there are some really, really fat people as well as really thin people. Is that not why there are plus size stores such as evans and wallis? I'd love to be size 8=D
Reply 51
is wallis a plus size store? :s-smilie:
Reply 52
In most shops Im a size 8 however in NEXT Im a size 6 but they never have any size 6's in!! However jeans are a different matter and there is always a gap at the waist above my bum, Im sure I have lordosis.
I don't know how girls can get to size 14 they must be big boned it can't all be fat.
Reply 53
thumper_bear_09
I'm an 8 but still curvy rather than skinny but I'm 5ft 2 so thats not a bad size for my height I guess

Wow you have really nice eyes (im not a lesbien)!!
Bwin12
is wallis a plus size store? :s-smilie:
No, it's not.
Reply 55
"i don't know how girls can get to size 14 they must be big boned it can't all be fat."

so very shallow and pathetic.
alio~
Wow you have really nice eyes (im not a lesbien)!!

aww thanks...I just love playing with eye makeup is all
Unlike some blokes, I am actually not very attracted to skinny women at all. And I mean where she looks emaciated. And besides Curves win.
Hm i tend to flit between 8 and 10 because i have quite a small waist but then nearly a 10 inch difference on my boobs and hips. I have the problem with the gap at the back in jeans too. Not all 3 parts are ever 1 size so to fit my boobs tops sometimes have to swamp me. Oh i hate clothes sometimes.
but my measurements are 34-25.5-35, so according to new look i'm an 8 but i always buy a 10, maybe i should try their 8's.
I'm 32-23-34 and not entirely sure what size I am, to be quite honest. I rarely buy clothes from high street shops - I prefer buying from charity shops/ebay and then altering things to fit me. Perhaps I'll go shopping today and investigate :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending