The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Canterbury West! Took me about 30 minutes to walk, including the walk up Tyler Hill :-)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Canterbury West is nearest, about 20 minutes down the Eliot footpath.

But East is near the bus station.
Reply 3
It depends where you're coming from, because if you're coming down on the Victoria line, you'll have to get off at Canterbury East. I'm not sure which lines run through Canterbury West?
Charing Cross
Reply 5
Canterbury West (and particularly Canterbury East) are a fair walk from the university then. Is there a bus that runs between the university and the two stations?
KentWill
Canterbury West (and particularly Canterbury East) are a fair walk from the university then. Is there a bus that runs between the university and the two stations?

West isn't far, about 20 minutes. The bus stop from uni is at the end of Station Road West then walk. The same bus then takes you to the bus station and you walk along the city wall and across the bridge to the east station.

All depends on what a "fair walk" is, campus is not near the city centre, it's on top of a hill! But you get used to the walking. Bus is for lazy people.
Reply 7
Oh yeah, of course. Using the bus all the time would be extremely lazy and unadventurous (and twenty minutes isn't a long walk - at least not on the flat - considering some of the other ones I've done). I'm much happier walking places, as well as being out in the fresh air. Plus, when in Canterbury, I'll experience a bit more of the city by having a stroll between it and the University. I suppose I'll also have a lot of time to kill.

I'm not a particularly frequent bus traveller, but when I'm on my own in the rain with a load of shopping this option will become suddenly more desirable. So I'll still look into the bus times and stops. :smile:

Talking of the University being atop a hill, has anyone got any photographs taken from this location looking down towards the city and the cathedral - I'd be interested to see the view?
Reply 8
have you actaully seen the massive hill in canterbury!!!! im telling ya even if its a hot summer day you would still wait for the bus than to attempt that hill even the bus was squeeching when going up that hill when i went for an open day!!!
jus-mi
have you actaully seen the massive hill in canterbury!!!! im telling ya even if its a hot summer day you would still wait for the bus than to attempt that hill even the bus was squeeching when going up that hill when i went for an open day!!!

lazy, haha.
Reply 10
jus-mi

Aah, I'm starting to imagine the University standing on top of an imposing, near unassailable mountain, whose approach is terrifying to even the hardiest climbers.

But maybe I'm being a little fantastic, lol. If only Google Earth still showed the height of the terrain... :frown: Though I'm sure I'll be able to investigate and have a good look at this menacing geographic feature when I'm in Canterbury on the 13th... :yep:
Reply 11
Look it up on the OS website, check out the contours and spot heights :-)
Reply 12
Ooh. I can see a few fifties and sixties written on the map - is that high?
Reply 13
Well, the uni is at a height of about 65 metres above sea level, which isn't particularly high if you look at a map, and in the context of some places in the Lake District its nothing. I found that the campus was about level with the cathedral steeple, and there was a wicked view of the whole of Canterbury. I'd imagine bonfire night is really nice, with all the fireworks exploding at uni level :-)
random_bloke
Charing Cross

lmao
Reply 15
Yep, it must be a scenic location, and the views of the city itself must be nice, especially at night :moon:. About the hill though, its height shouldn't make the walk between the railway station and the University too onerous, as I measured the distance between the two it's only about a mile or so.
Reply 16
It's not too bad, you won't be out of breath when you hit the summit. I did find my calf muscles a bit sore when I walked it though, it's suprisingly steep!
Reply 17
Fortunately I'll be ready for it though - the hill (http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Oxfordshire/images/BurfordWM.jpg) that I climbed a couple of times a day every day I was at the school I have just left will stand me in good stead for the similarly steep one at Canterbury. By now my lungs and calf muscles have become accustomed to a good uphill slog. Though it's still a pain in summer.
Atomic Tundra
lmao

not quite sure i understand what's funny, but i'm glad i made you laugh,

it was however a serious answer, the trains to Canterbury West mainly come from Charing Cross
KentWill
Oh yeah, of course. Using the bus all the time would be extremely lazy and unadventurous (and twenty minutes isn't a long walk - at least not on the flat - considering some of the other ones I've done). I'm much happier walking places, as well as being out in the fresh air. Plus, when in Canterbury, I'll experience a bit more of the city by having a stroll between it and the University. I suppose I'll also have a lot of time to kill.

I'm not a particularly frequent bus traveller, but when I'm on my own in the rain with a load of shopping this option will become suddenly more desirable. So I'll still look into the bus times and stops. :smile:

Talking of the University being atop a hill, has anyone got any photographs taken from this location looking down towards the city and the cathedral - I'd be interested to see the view?

if it is raining hard then it is a long walk:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending