The Student Room Group

Welbeck

Does anybody on this forum know how one applies for the Welbeck defence college,and what grades are realistically needed for entry?

I understand that on the website they request 40 G.C.S.E points in your seven best subjects, but that would mean a candidate could have seven B's.(Which seems a little low for a top college)

So my question is to gain entry into Welbeck does a candidate realistically need 10A* ?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You apply for Welbeck by going to your nearest AFCO at the start of Year 11. I can't give you a definite idea of what grades you need because they don't look solely at Academic results but also at your ability for leadership, teamwork etc.

However, to ease your mind a bit, I can quite confidently say that getting ten A* is not essential.
You dont need that higher grades . Get an A in maths and Bs in science its fine. The 40 points are for 7 only. I was going to go and I got A*s As and 3 Bs
Ive done all the interviews and you need an A in maths
as it can be quite competitive!
Which service do you want to join?
You do all the fitness at the interviews depending whether your Army/RN/RAF etc!
Im Navy so I did AIB.
The interview when you go to welbeck is fine.
Welbeck is such a nice college as well!
my friend went. He wasnt paticularily academic at all
He must have had some brains! As if you get low AS grades your kicked out, happened to 3 people i know there! Most of my friends there got AAA
Reply 6
mathsphysics
Ive done all the interviews and you need an A in maths
as it can be quite competitive!
Which service do you want to join?
You do all the fitness at the interviews depending whether your Army/RN/RAF etc!
Im Navy so I did AIB.
The interview when you go to welbeck is fine.
Welbeck is such a nice college as well!

I'm actually a few days into year 11 and I haven't made an application yet, I guess I should visit the AFCO, pronto.

Could anyone on here tell me a little bit more about the interviews, as I don't know what to expect, and I don't want to be sat in the AFCO trying to deflect questions while increasingly looking like a wet lettuce.

By the way I'm more interested in the Royal Navy than the other services.
Reply 7
i did my aib for a place at welbeck 2 years ago, this was due to missing the deadline for application for the raf and applying via the navy instead ( a very immature decision im not proud of), welbeck just appealed to me and i really wanted to go there. :rolleyes: the best advice i would give is to go to your afco and ask all of the questions that you have there. You dont need 10 A*s and when i applied the only must have grades were a b in maths and physics as those subjects are compulsory for your two years at welbeck. Also, with the RN and the RAF in particular, welbeck is relatively new to them, as it was originally army only, this meaning that when it comes to oasc and aib they are only just getting to grips with testing younger than average candidates...normally candidates are 18+ due to already having a level, so as a general rule dont be surprised if they dont go easy on younger candidates....as long as you are well prepared you will be fine!! AIB has recently changed so also make sure when you go to the afco you get the latest information, i know the psychometric tests are done on computers now and that the bleep test is no longer motivational, you must reach a certain level. Hope that helps
I have a friend that's starting Yr 12 at Welbeck. He did get A's in Maths and double award science but the interview was focussed around your determination for a career in the armed forces, common sense and communication skills. Also about your potential and ambition to succeed as at 16 there is still loads of time to develop.

2 years of college + 3(or even 4) years of uni + 3/5 year commission

That's 5 years to ensure you will be a superb officer and a minimum of 8 years of armed forces related activity.

Good Luck!

If you want his email PM me,
Reply 9
falling_curtain
I have a friend that's starting Yr 12 at Welbeck. He did get A's in Maths and double award science but the interview was focussed around your determination for a career in the armed forces, common sense and communication skills. Also about your potential and ambition to succeed as at 16 there is still loads of time to develop.

2 years of college + 3(or even 4) years of uni + 3/5 year commission

That's 5 years to ensure you will be a superb officer and a minimum of 8 years of armed forces related activity.

Good Luck!

If you want his email PM me,

Thanks for the Information, it all really helps as I make a decision which could potentially give fourteen years of my precious life to HMAF.

I am visiting the AFCO on Friday to discuss my options, and hopefully start the Welbeck ball rolling, so once again, thanks for everybody's input it has been gladly digested and provided me with many thoughts to mull over. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Hey buddy

I just passed out of Welbeck this July just gone (started 2006). Got AAB in Physics, Biology and Maths, going on to Newcastle in 2 weeks to start a masters in Mechanical Engineering.

The application process varies depending what your planning on joining. You got 4 choices, Army, Navy, RAF and DESG (civil servents)

Im going to assume your going for the Army (because i'm army so i know the process better). You can apply for an application form online via the website http://www.dsfc.ac.uk and order a prospectus. Most of the information is in there too, plus the relevant forms you need to send off.

After that you will be sent a couple more forms and then invited to the college for a visit (i really advise that you go to one of these open days) Assuming you go there will be a short informal interview there, nothing too important. And if you do go for heavens sake wear a suit, the amount of people who came in jeans and trainers last year was a joke.

You'll have a formal interview with your local careers officer and your school will have to submit a reference. Then if everything is in order, you will get sent to a selection board. (AOSB for Army, AIB for Navy, and something else at Cramwell for RAF and DESG)

If you pass this you will be given a conditional place (conditional on achieving the required grades at GCSE). When i joined you needed a B in maths and Physics, a C in english language and 40 ALIS points in your top 7 GCSE's alogether (an A* scoring 8, an A scoring 7 etc) but i think the standards where put up last year...

Anyhow, go to the website, get a prospectus sent to you and go from there. if you want any tips or advice along the way at any point this year, drop me a line ([email protected]) and i'll be happy to help.

Liam
Reply 11
The_Fez
Hey buddy

I just passed out of Welbeck this July just gone (started 2006). Got AAB in Physics, Biology and Maths, going on to Newcastle in 2 weeks to start a masters in Mechanical Engineering.

The application process varies depending what your planning on joining. You got 4 choices, Army, Navy, RAF and DESG (civil servents)

Im going to assume your going for the Army (because i'm army so i know the process better). You can apply for an application form online via the website http://www.dsfc.ac.uk and order a prospectus. Most of the information is in there too, plus the relevant forms you need to send off.

After that you will be sent a couple more forms and then invited to the college for a visit (i really advise that you go to one of these open days) Assuming you go there will be a short informal interview there, nothing too important. And if you do go for heavens sake wear a suit, the amount of people who came in jeans and trainers last year was a joke.

You'll have a formal interview with your local careers officer and your school will have to submit a reference. Then if everything is in order, you will get sent to a selection board. (AOSB for Army, AIB for Navy, and something else at Cramwell for RAF and DESG)

If you pass this you will be given a conditional place (conditional on achieving the required grades at GCSE). When i joined you needed a B in maths and Physics, a C in english language and 40 ALIS points in your top 7 GCSE's alogether (an A* scoring 8, an A scoring 7 etc) but i think the standards where put up last year...

Anyhow, go to the website, get a prospectus sent to you and go from there. if you want any tips or advice along the way at any point this year, drop me a line ([email protected]) and i'll be happy to help.

Liam

Well, thanks for your invaluable input Liam, I certainly will be contacting you as soon as possible and I will be intrigued to hear your opinion on the college. :wink:
Hi all,
i know it's been a long time no post. Your advice has been really informative Liam. I am due to go to an open day this saturday and i would be really grateful if someone could tell me of anything i need to prepare or be aware of.
It may seem a bit petty but it is something i want so much and i can't afford to mess up.
Thanks
Reply 13
hiya - havent had any news re. my application. gave it in well over 6/7 weeks ago and friends who applied at the same time (although admittedly for different things) have had offers of interviews etc. does this mean i have been rejected or just because i applied through a different area?
thanks xx
Original post by chappy
Thanks for the Information, it all really helps as I make a decision which could potentially give fourteen years of my precious life to HMAF.

I am visiting the AFCO on Friday to discuss my options, and hopefully start the Welbeck ball rolling, so once again, thanks for everybody's input it has been gladly digested and provided me with many thoughts to mull over. :biggrin:

On the bright side, it'll be less than 14 if you get killed in Afghan.

It's a pretty big commitment to make imo, are you sure you want to go to war?
Am I the only one here who thought this was going to be a thread about Danny Welbeck?
Reply 16
Anyone going up to the open day tomorrow? Inbox me if so... I have queries! :smile:
Reply 17
Hi, I know this was wrote quite a while ago but I have a welbeck opening day tomorrow and I'm still unsure of what to war. I was hoping to wear skinny jeans a blazer and smart black shoes, however I'm not sure if this is smart enough?
Original post by sread
Hi, I know this was wrote quite a while ago but I have a welbeck opening day tomorrow and I'm still unsure of what to war. I was hoping to wear skinny jeans a blazer and smart black shoes, however I'm not sure if this is smart enough?

hey, well, when I had one, I wore slightly smarter stuff, but there were people there in less smart stuff than you've said, I'd say maybe wear a shirt or something under the blazer? Just something to make it a tiny bit smarter.

Btw, the current thread about Welbeck entry is called "welbeck dsfc 2014 entry" if you wanted to look there :smile:

-Reuben

Quick Reply

Latest