The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Good question. I'd also like to know the answer to this. Mind you I don't think it matters to me as I've been on the waiting list for a dentist for a year.
once your 19 you have to pay. pure and simple. If your income is below a certain amount you can get a certain amount of help cost wise.
Reply 3
unless of course, you don't have a dentist and register at a dental undergraduate teaching hospital- then all treatment is free!
Reply 4
Ellsbells3032
once your 19 you have to pay. pure and simple. If your income is below a certain amount you can get a certain amount of help cost wise.

Do you know if this income is your own personal one? or is it dependant on parental income like student loans
I think its your parents. But think the boundaries are quite high. go to a pharmacist or dentist and ask. They'll know. same with perscriptions
Reply 6
Last time I went to the dentist they gave me this masssssive form thing to fill in for free/cheaper dental treatment. As usual I put it on my desk and it got buried away never to be seen again...
I was asking my friend about it though and she said it took ages to fill the form in and when she eventually got a reply they said that she wouldn't get any money off, even though her household income really isn't very high (she had EMA at college if that helps?)
So yeah, apparently the forms aren't worth it!
Reply 7
its about 16.20 pounds for a checkup I think when you're over 19....
Reply 8
NHS Dental Charges for England and Wales from April 2008 to April 2009 Price 1 is for England and Price 2 is for Wales. You have to pay after your 19 for treatment, except band 1 which is free until youre 25 in Wales.

One Examination, Diagnosis, Xrays, Scale and Polish. £16.20 £12.00

Two All treatments in band one plus additional procedures such as Fillings, Root canal treatment and extractions. £44.60 £39.00

Three All treatments in bands one and two plus more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges £198.00 £177.00

Urgent When you need to see a dentist immediately, usually for extreme pain, swelling, excessive bleeding or recementing a crown. £16.20 £12.00

http://www.markpreston.co.uk/fg/udaguide2007.php
Reply 9
Sun!
NHS Dental Charges for England and Wales from April 2008 to April 2009 Price 1 is for England and Price 2 is for Wales. You have to pay after your 19 for treatment, except band 1 which is free until youre 25 in Wales.

One Examination, Diagnosis, Xrays, Scale and Polish. £16.20 £12.00

Two All treatments in band one plus additional procedures such as Fillings, Root canal treatment and extractions. £44.60 £39.00

Three All treatments in bands one and two plus more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges £198.00 £177.00

Urgent When you need to see a dentist immediately, usually for extreme pain, swelling, excessive bleeding or recementing a crown. £16.20 £12.00

http://www.markpreston.co.uk/fg/udaguide2007.php

Thankyou :smile:

I keep seeing this after you are 19 'clause', its free at 18? Or its free up until you 19 provided you are in education etc.
It's a proper rip off. No wonder no-one goes!
*Ally*
Do you know if this income is your own personal one? or is it dependant on parental income like student loans

It takes into account your savings/income. Something like a maximum of £8k in savings/investments/assets.

And what is extremely gay is that your student loan (a debt) is counted as an income.
Crystaltears
It's a proper rip off. No wonder no-one goes!

Healthcare is expensive!! We just don't see the cost when we visit the GP etc so when we visit the dentist it seems so expensive.

Better to pay a bit than have an abscess/tooth extraction/something really nasty.
Reply 13
ch0c0h01ic
It takes into account your savings/income. Something like a maximum of £8k in savings/investments/assets.

And what is extremely gay is that your student loan (a debt) is counted as an income.

Thats okay then, if its mine I should at least get it discounted :smile:

I wish it was free :frown:
You can get a HC1 form for low income. It's totally independent of your parents' income if you are in Halls. Just make sure you are unemployed, when you fill it in! :wink:
When I was getting student loans, and my parents helped me out with rent, despite having very little money in reality, I didn't get anything free after filling out the HC1 form. I've filled it in again now, and I have even less money - it's got to the stage where prescription charges are actually really hurting me (though it doesn't help I've had four over the last few weeks)- so I really hope I'm 'poor enough' now!

Latest

Trending

Trending