The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You get the maximum credits for any module you pass. For instance, in a 20 credit module, you still get 20 credits, even if you only scrape a pass. You normally cannot pass a year without getting the full 120 credits, although some Universities may allow you to progress if you fail one module.

In terms of identifying the classification of your year, it is generally an average based upon your mark for each module. For instance if you got 72 for three of your modules and 68 for the other three, you would get an overall grade of 70, giving you a 1st. However, it's a little more complicated than that because some modules are only worth 10 credits, and thus have less of an impact on your final grading.
A three year degree is worth 360 CATS. 120 credits for each year. If you pass all units at 50% you get a lower second degree roughly.
Reply 3
how easy is it to get 100%?
Reply 4
70%+ is a 1st
60 to 69 is a 2.1
50 to 59 is a 2.2
40 to 49 is a 3rd
I believe this is the grading for most Universities
Reply 5
The first year usually doesn't count towards the final degree classification. It's just there as a bridge between A-levels and "proper" degree study. Of course you still need to pass it, so it's still important, but whether you only just scrape though or get 75% in all modules it usually will not matter.

The second and third years do count towards the degree classification. Different universities have different systems and may weigh things up differently. I'd recommend checking with your university. However, as a general rule, your final degree classification may be spilt equally between your second and third year, or it may be split 60:40 (in favour of the third year).

Honours degrees are usually classified thus: -

Firsts (70%+)
2:1 (60%+)
2:2 (50%+)
3 (40%+)

Then you just have the basic pass (without the honours). I'll come onto that. When employers and universities (for postgrad study) ask for a "good honours degree" it will usually mean a 2:1 or a first (although an increasing number of employers are lowering their requirements to 2:2s).

As you said, you'll usually take 120 credits (six modules) in each year. You'll usually need to pass all modules to get an honours degree. If you fail some modules during your final two years the you may still get a degree without the honours. So just a basic BA as opposed to a BA (hons). Universities will differ in how many modules they'll allow a student to fail. I'd be suprised if it's more than three at most unis.

But universities have their different systems (this is especially the case in Scotland, who often have four year "undergraduate" masters degrees). This is just one of the most common outside Scotland. There will be differences in unis. I'd check with your university.
Reply 6
fxytimi

Impossible. Nobody really gets above 75 or 80%. 80% is in fact virtually unheard of.
Reply 7
fxytimi

Quite feasible if you're doing maths or a sciency subject and happen to be bloody good at it, but otherwise it isn't likely to happen.
Reply 8
I shall not be aiming for 100% then, as im doing civil engineering
Reply 9
fxytimi
I shall not be aiming for 100% then, as im doing civil engineering

Well, you can aim for it, just don't expect to reach it very often (if at all).
cjgbr
70%+ is a 1st
60 to 69 is a 2.1
50 to 59 is a 2.2
40 to 49 is a 3rd
I believe this is the grading for most Universities

Why can't it be:

70%+ is an A*
60 to 69 is an A
50 to 59 is a B
40 to 49 is a C
I believe this should be the grading for GCSEs
Reply 11
hobnob
Well, you can aim for it, just don't expect to reach it very often (if at all).

I had 100% in a maths exam, which was the highlight of my first year:woo: however its harder in essay to get 100%, 70% + is my aim overall
Reply 12
im so academic
Why can't it be:

70%+ is an A*
60 to 69 is an A
50 to 59 is a B
40 to 49 is a C
I believe this should be the grading for GCSEs

And so it is. But why would the grading of degrees have to conform to that?
Reply 13
River85
The first year usually doesn't count towards the final degree classification. It's just there as a bridge between A-levels and "proper" degree study. Of course you still need to pass it, so it's still important, but whether you only just scrape though or get 75% in all modules it usually will not matter.

The second and third years do count towards the degree classification. Different universities have different systems and may weigh things up differently. I'd recommend checking with your university. However, as a general rule, your final degree classification may be spilt equally between your second and third year, or it may be split 60:40 (in favour of the third year).

Honours degrees are usually classified thus: -

Firsts (70%+)
2:1 (60%+)
2:2 (50%+)
3 (40%+)

Then you just have the basic pass (without the honours). I'll come onto that. When employers and universities (for postgrad study) ask for a "good honours degree" it will usually mean a 2:1 or a first (although an increasing number of employers are lowering their requirements to 2:2s).

As you said, you'll usually take 120 credits (six modules) in each year. You'll usually need to pass all modules to get an honours degree. If you fail some modules during your final two years the you may still get a degree without the honours. So just a basic BA as opposed to a BA (hons). Universities will differ in how many modules they'll allow a student to fail. I'd be suprised if it's more than three at most unis.

But universities have their different systems (this is especially the case in Scotland, who often have four year "undergraduate" masters degrees). This is just one of the most common outside Scotland. There will be differences in unis. I'd check with your university.

Wow now that is awsome review:yep:
hobnob
And so it is. But why would the grading of degrees have to conform to that?

No it isn't. If it was, why is Edexcel/AQA GCSE Art have a percentage of 98%+ for an A*? Well?
im so academic
No it isn't. If it was, why is Edexcel/AQA GCSE Art have a percentage of 98%+ for an A*? Well?

Is it really?? I'd feel slightly more chuffed if it was.
Yes it is! I've just checked it now!
hobnob
Quite feasible if you're doing maths or a sciency subject and happen to be bloody good at it, but otherwise it isn't likely to happen.

I agree. I study Philosophy and I know a dual honours Maths/Philosophy student who averages about 80% in the Symbolic Logic modules (of which there are 3)

Plus I once got 76% for an exam on the Philosophy of John Locke
im so academic
Yes it is! I've just checked it now!

Schueeeet :biggrin:

Though I can't be too surprised since I got 100% in it.
*Star*Guitar*
Schueeeet :biggrin:

Though I can't be too surprised since I got 100% in it.

****. Really?! How on earth did you get that? Please PM me how you did that - honestly... :puppyeyes: