The Student Room Group

how does water pass through the cell membrane?!

hi

i understand that the tails of the phospholipids are hydrophobic and form a barrier to water soluble substances (and supposedly not to water? :s-smilie:), therefor how can water pass though what is effectively a layer of oil? does water enter through channel proteins? can water pass through the cell membrane as it is a smaller molecule than say a substance that is dissolved in it?

i am frustratingly confused.
Reply 1
Water passes in the majority through channel proteins called aquaporins. A small amount can pass through the phospholipid bilayer.
Barry Chuckle
hi

i understand that the tails of the phospholipids are hydrophobic and form a barrier to water soluble substances (and supposedly not to water? :s-smilie:), therefor how can water pass though what is effectively a layer of oil? does water enter through channel proteins? can water pass through the cell membrane as it is a smaller molecule than say a substance that is dissolved in it?

i am frustratingly confused.

Thats the one I think.
Reply 4
yeah, Osmosis!! hehe xD

der are a lot of different terms used though, depending on whether ur referring to water transport in animals or plants.
Reply 5

thank you very much!
Reply 6
osmosis, just simple diffusion me thinks... glad to see that at A in A level Biology is coming in handy.... :p:

Latest