The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's a council parking ticket:

First - it gets doubled if you don't pay it quickly.
Second - you get a threatening letter telling you to pay it for a while.
Third - you get a court summons.
Four - the court sends bailiffs to your house to make you pay the fine, plus the costs you've incurred by not paying.

That is, unless you have a valid reason for not paying. Like, the ticket was unfair. It's actually incredibly easy to get away with parking offences e.g. if the yellow lines are broken at all, if the parking restriction sign is defaced in any way.

If it's a "private parking ticket" given to you by a private company, then you don't have to pay at all. They have no powers to fine you. Any civil claims they want to make have to be done through the courts. This includes: if you have been clamped, and there was no reasonable and obvious warning of clamping (including if the sign was unreadable i.e. too far away...so easily debateable), and instances where they have paid the DVLA £2.50 for your details after noting your number plate, and then sent you a bill in the post.
Reply 2
Council ticket.

Can't I play the "It was never on my car game"?
Reply 3
Friggerpants
Council ticket.

Can't I play the "It was never on my car game"?

That might work initially, but then they'll just say "oh, well now you know, so pay up."
Go back to the spot you were parked and look for any way you can get out of it, such as the ways morbo listed.
Reply 4
Morbo

Four - the court sends bailiffs to your house to make you pay the fine, plus the costs you've incurred by not paying.

... which is usually many, many times more than the cost of the actual parking ticket. Bailiffs charge for virtually everything, and charge a lot of money for it.
Reply 5
challenge it by saying your car broke down. When i get tickets i send a fake receipt.
Reply 6
Ghost
That might work initially, but then they'll just say "oh, well now you know, so pay up."
Go back to the spot you were parked and look for any way you can get out of it, such as the ways morbo listed.

Except they now take digital photographs.

How hard is it not to park in a restricted area, anyway?
Reply 7
Creepy
Except they now take digital photographs.

How hard is it not to park in a restricted area, anyway?

It's quite easy for people to just pull them off.

It wasn't restricted, you had to pay, I went to pay at the machine, but the machine doesn't accept cash, so I left it.
Reply 8
Always try to appeal. Check back at the place and see if there's anything you can use to get out of it. Find an excuse that they may dismiss the PCN on compassionate grounds (doesn't sound likely, I know).

I'm not advocating braking the law and parking anywhere you want, just check to see if they are actually fining you legally. I've had several PCNs over the years, about 1/3 were completely incorrect and were easily appealed. I've even successfully appealed legitimate PCNs.

Have a go at appealing and see where it gets you. As long as you do it within the allowed time frame, you've got nothing to lose.
Reply 9
Friggerpants
It's quite easy for people to just pull them off.

It wasn't restricted, you had to pay, I went to pay at the machine, but the machine doesn't accept cash, so I left it.

You can use that as a reason. Say you drove around looking for a meter that accepts cash/coin as you don't have a card. I hate those card only machines, I don't always have my card with me and it makes sense to have the option for both.
Reply 10
I always try to appeal. It doesn't always work, but occasionally it does. :wink:
Reply 11
Vesta
I always try to appeal. It doesn't always work, but occasionally it does. :wink:

You've only been driving a few months...how many bloody parking tickets could you have in that time?
Reply 12
samba
You've only been driving a few months...how many bloody parking tickets could you have in that time?

Two. :frown:

One parking fine and one going into the congestion charge without realising. Both not my fault, actually - for the former, I was told to park there by a parent. For the latter, my ADI didn't realise she had taken me into the zone (I was a learner).
Reply 13
Vesta
Two. :frown:

One parking fine and one going into the congestion charge without realising. Both not my fault, actually - for the former, I was told to park there by a parent. For the latter, my ADI didn't realise she had taken me into the zone (I was a learner).

Oh. I hope you made your ADI pay for the latter :frown: At least you didn't get points!
Reply 14
samba
Oh. I hope you made your ADI pay for the latter :frown: At least you didn't get points!

She paid for half of it - she claimed that because we weren't in her car (I'd asked if we could drive in my car, seeing as I'd be taking my test in it) she forgot. Luckily no points, though. :cool:
Reply 15
snmichaels
You can use that as a reason. Say you drove around looking for a meter that accepts cash/coin as you don't have a card. I hate those card only machines, I don't always have my card with me and it makes sense to have the option for both.

Should've been a bit clear.

Basically, I was going to see Dragonforce.

I parked up, went to the machine, and it didn't accept notes, and I only had a twenty.

I thought I'd just go inside and get some change.

But the que was huge, and I wasn't prepared to que for a year, go in, pay, go out, go back to my car, come back to the gig, que for another year, and miss the supporting band.
Reply 16
at the end of the day, with it being a council spot (more often than not they're more thorough) and you don't really have a reason to appeal, all you can do is appeal (they normally freeze the ticket from increasing in the process) and hope for the best; it doesnt sound like theres much in it that will get you out of paying..
Reply 17
Hey, I have a similar, issue but i have foreign number plates, non EU plates. Will the court and bailiff still be sent to my foreign address?!

Reply 18
Basically they come into your house and fist you until you pay up.
Reply 19
Original post by Kenneth M
Hey, I have a similar, issue but i have foreign number plates, non EU plates. Will the court and bailiff still be sent to my foreign address?!

Simple answer is no.

Latest