The Student Room Group

Florence

Has anyone ever taken a gap year in Florence, Italy (or known of someone who has)? I've very recently been given the opportunity of work in Florence so I've just decided to go for it and I'm heading out at the beginning of November, hopefully until June/July. I've been to Florence once while interrailing and loved it there. I know absolutely no Italian.. will it be very hard picking it up if I'm spending a lot of time with locals? Or should I take a language course in my spare time? Also is social life good? I'd love to hear of peoples experiences even if its from other places in Italy :smile:
Reply 1
id be pretty bored spendin a long time in florence. i guess it depends what youll be doing on that gap year but you probably will need to know italian
Reply 2
i'm working on a horse-riding holiday centre thats about 20mins outside of florence.. i think (and hope!) that this will keep me from being bored as i'm a keen rider. i was told that the majority of staff and clients at the centre speak english so i'm hoping language won't be a massive barrier, but of course i will organise a course in my spare time to learn some basic italian. I certainly hope I enjoy it anyway...:smile:
Reply 3
yeah florence is nice but its very kinda historic. im sure they would tell you if you had to know italian anyway

Latest