The Student Room Group

abercrombie gilet ruined in wash

hey

i got an abercrombie gilet in about sept time (bought in america, but can be bought in the london store too). ok, don't say i'm disgusting, but yesterday was the first time i've washed it. i looked at the instructions on the gilet, and it said machine wash cold. so i put it in the 30C wash cos it was the coldest wash i had on my machine. that's cold right?

anyway, the gilet is ruined basically. i read on the label there are feathers inside, and basically they have clumped together in one place, and the gilet is no longer warm, the thickness of the gilet is made up of 2 pieces of fabic and nothing in the middle, apart from the bit where it has a clump of feathers.

was 30C a cold wash?

and if yes, has anyone complained to abercrombie before? is this grounds to complain?

xxxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how did you dry it?
i dunno if its grounds for complaint as you did it.
generally with anything like that its best to hand wash it.
Reply 2
One down, several million to go.
Reply 3
dh00001
how did you dry it?
i dunno if its grounds for complaint as you did it.
generally with anything like that its best to hand wash it.

i just dried it on the clothes horse.

i'm thinking it's grounds for complaint because i followed the instructions on the gilet. do you not agree? i absolutely love it so if it didn't say that, i would have dry cleaned. espcially when it cost twice as much as most of the stuff in the store, £120!

i'm so annoyed!!!!!

also in regards to 'you did it', i've returned shoes twice(!) to oasis, when i've worn them twice and the strap kept breaking. they just took it back. hmm it's kinda different as in it must be some design/manufactuing fault but in this case they shouldn't have written machine cold wash if it could have ruined the clothes in any way!!
Reply 4
fairycakes

i'm thinking it's grounds for complaint because i followed the instructions on the gilet. do you not agree? i absolutely love it so if it didn't say that, i would have dry cleaned. espcially when it cost twice as much as most of the stuff in the store, £120!

i'm so annoyed!!!!!

shouldve dried it flat.
Reply 5
Buy A&F and be dammed for eternity :yep:

To be honest I think it is unlikely you will get a refund, especially since it wasn't even brought in the UK.
Reply 6
fairycakes

i'm so annoyed!!!!!

You paid $240 for the gilet?!
Reply 7
dh00001
shouldve dried it flat.

but it's not like the feathers have clumped together at the bottom, like following gravity. it clearly happened in the washing machine.
Reply 8
kamie
You paid $240 for the gilet?!

no, i meant £60, $120, but it would have been £120 if i bought it in the uk. it was for dramatic purposes, cos i'm just sooooooooooooo annoyed right now. i used to wear it everywhere.............:mad:
try putting in on a cold setting in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls, puffs feather pillows up...
I don't think 30 degrees is particularly cold. 15 degrees is cold.

Should've hand washed it really.
Thesuperficials advice is bang on. Tennis balls are excellent for sorting out that kind of thing. I have a lot of down equipment, and I would never wash it, if I had to I'd get it dry cleaned, normal washing just ruins it.
I just went to their site, and the gilets are £128. £128?!?! :lolwut:
Reply 13
30 degree Celsius = 86 degree Fahrenheit
I agree with Ilora-Danon.

2ndly, all coats should be dried flat- the wieght of them wet when hanging loosens threds, and if its a down jacket, the feathers clumped.

I have an Isaac Mizrahi Jacket that was 130 USD that I always hand wash with woolite, and lay flat to dry, so I know it wont get damaged.

Unfortunately, you really do not have grounds to get a refund.
Reply 14
I have a down coat from M&S that I washed in the washing machine and it turned out fine - don't use that much soap and when you take it out the machine, just shake it/pat it around a bit so the feathers can re-spread out, then dry flat.
Reply 15
you get what you deserve when you spend a lot of money on something so cheap. it only takes the smallest amount of research to learn that abercrombie is ridiculously overpriced for the quality. and so you should expect that they don't really care if your garment gets ruined or not. its all mass produced in sweatshops in a 3rd world country and even if you never buy anything from them again, they have still made a ******** off you and gullible people like you who are so easily duped into thinking that being expensive means it will be decent. learn your lesson, do your research, and launder your things properly (i mean, really, who doesn't know that you don't put something with feathers in the washing machine?)
Reply 16
Danny_777
One down, several million to go.

I second this.
Reply 17
30 degrees is not a cold wash.....
Reply 18
oh noes
Reply 19
ps, anyone who cares, my gilet is fine now. after i wore it for a while, the feathers redistributed and it is nice and snuggly now!

Latest

Trending

Trending