The Student Room Group

how many hours of independent study do you do for each A-level subject per week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Excluding homework (per week):

Maths - 0
Economics - 1/2
Physics - 1
Politics - 3/4

Including homework (per week):

Maths - 2/3
Economics - 4
Physics - 2/3
Politics - 6

:rolleyes:
None except for homework O.o
What more is there to do? Re reading notes that i understand is pointless....especially this early on in the A2 course.
Reading this thread makes me question what intelligence is, people doing 30+ hours a week total should be getting 295/300 easily.
Reply 103
lilpenguin
Reading this thread makes me question what intelligence is, people doing 30+ hours a week total should be getting 295/300 easily.

Not necessarily, maybe some of these people work so hard because they do not possess the same natural intelligence that others do? (Not trying to be rude to anyone in the thread who does indeed do 30 hours extra work).

I know a few people who are bright, but not as bright as some others and so in order to achieve the same or better grades they work their asses off and often reap the rewards of this commitment.

I personally do nothing other than the compulsory homework, and even then i still sometimes skimp. Thats why I didn't do as well as i would have wanted, but we reap what we sow.
I agree, to an extent with your post LH123.

But i thought of that before i posted it, 30 hours a week is ALOT of time, if i spent 5 hours a week revising say, all of the Chemistry i have done this year, i would have it done in say 1-2 weeks.

What do people do in the time i mean, i could re-write notes on all of a module of Chemistry, learn it,

that would be done... do people do that again, and again, and again? That's what people are surely doing, so i do think my point is valid, 30 hours a week is alot of time of studying... i would be disgusted with myself for losing more the 5 UMS. Having re read all notes again and again that many times it would be inexcusable.

Sorry, my personal opinion.
lilpenguin
I agree, to an extent with your post LH123.

But i thought of that before i posted it, 30 hours a week is ALOT of time, if i spent 5 hours a week revising say, all of the Chemistry i have done this year, i would have it done in say 1-2 weeks.

What do people do in the time i mean, i could re-write notes on all of a module of Chemistry, learn it,

that would be done... do people do that again, and again, and again? That's what people are surely doing, so i do think my point is valid, 30 hours a week is alot of time of studying... i would be disgusted with myself for losing more the 5 UMS. Having re read all notes again and again that many times it would be inexcusable.

Sorry, my personal opinion.

I don't do 30 hours a week outside school, but I do work in all of my frees and between 4pm and 6pm after school (usually homework TBH), so that's about 15 1/2 hours a week, but it's mainly homework (oddly enough, in school I get nothing done - I have all my frees with at least one friend :rolleyes: )

But, when I'm not doing homework, I re-write my notes (I've started always doing this - it means I can scrawl notes all over the page in lessons and still have really neat notes to revise from), condense everything down to a few A4s or make spider diagrams. (I also plan to make posters this weekend :biggrin: )

And yeah, with that much work I am doing well in class so far (I've just had my six week reviews), but if I want to get awesome grades, I need to do more, and doing that extra bit to push my grades from really quite good (not bragging, I have to put work in) to brilliant would probably take me up to around 25 hours a week (again, including homework). So I can see why people do it...I just don't see where they find the time.
Reply 106
I probably do at least an hour/two hours a night, and then three hours on Saturday and Sunday, so I guess in a week that's at least eleven. I enjoy all my subjects, so it doesn't really seem like work.
Good, i'm glad it steffi that it works... definately,

it's just i think that it is alot of time...
i wish i had the capacity to do 10 hours work total side of school a week, but i just dont do it , thats why anthing around 30 hours i think is ALOTTT and so much could get done in that time.. id run out of things to do!
Sorry to bump a 6-month-old thread, but I worked out that to do the total of 20 hours a week that my college recommends, I would have to:

- Stay at college for 1.5 hours after my last lesson finishes, twice a week
- Work for the whole of each of my 1.5 hour free periods, twice a week
- Come in to college in my 1.5 hour free period on Thursday mornings when I would normally have a lie-in
- Work for the second half of both tutorial sessions each week (the actual sessions always last half as long as normal lessons)
- Work for 1 to 1.5 hours at home in the evenings on 3 college days per week
- Work for about 4 hours on both days of the weekends

I would be exhausted, and like the person above me says, I would probably run out of things to do!
Reply 109
i literally dont do any homework for school but revise like an 1-2 hours during school days, around 3-4 hours in the weekend and around 6-8 hours on half terms <- this is coming from someone who smokes weed 24/7 and pops e at raves so you people should have no excuses
Honestly?

Since my last exam (over 2 months ago) I have done next to nothing in every subject, both in and out of lessons. So at the moment, 0 hours per subject per week.

I do as much as I can handle when exam time approaches...
Which usually isn't very much. I'm easily distracted and my focus doesn't last long.
I'd say on a normal week in the middle of the term I do about 1-3 hrs per subject, and when exams approach I do about 5-8 for Biology and Maths, (and for my other subject per exam a total of 2-3 hours revision as it is essay based and I just can't revise for it)

My college recommend 4-6 hours per subject per week.
But I think it's more about efficiency of study time. I didn't go crazy with revision, still had a full social calendar, didn't make insane revision timetables... But I got AAAB last year and three A's in my Jan exams so I'd say don't force yourself to revise a certain amount of hours, just revise until your focus is gone because any work after that point is useless :smile:
I am yet to start my a-levels however I presume at AS I will do 5 hours a week per subject until 6 weeks before the exams where I will increase that and in A2 do the recommended 8 hours, but that all depends on how easy/hard I find the syllabus.

that's for chemistry, maths, further maths and physics. I wonder which subjects will require more attention, if any :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest