The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, thats the whole deal with Advanced Highers...You don't get the colourful and interactive books and websites like you do with standard grades and highers. You're supposed to be doing proper reseach, reading proper books...its first year Uni standard for god's sake!
Reply 2
OK, I am doing that. I have being doing all that, I was just wondering if, even if it was just a student's website, there was any sites? I'm doing tons of research, I have about 20 books on Brecht and Stanislavski, a massive Social Research Methods and Criminoilogy book for Mod Studs. Thanks anyway though.
Reply 3
Have you tried that heriott watt thing?
Reply 4
Scholar? Whilst it got me through Higher Chem and is helping me with Int 2 Maths, I dunno whether or not it has stuff for Drama or Mod Studs, if it does, I've not been entered for it.

I suppose what I really want is somewhere that will give me an exemplar answer for the questions in AH Drama, my teacher never ordered any this year because I'm the only one doing the course, and the SQA have none on-line, meaning that I basically have no idea how much info should go in without it being too detailed.
Advanced Higher Modern Studies is a killer!
Just done the first chapter of my dissertation about youth crime in Scotland. This chapter was about the Children's Hearing System and basically I searched and most of my notes are from the CHS website, the Scottish Government website, and the SCRA website. I'd recomment the Scottish Government site for any dissertation; otherwise I and anyone else who wants to help would have to know what dissertation you are doing to help further.
Reply 6
" The Childrens Hearing System is failing both the Scottish public and young people"

That's the title, just chose an SQA one, my teacher kept hammering me because I wanted to do one on Youth Crime, kept saying that there wasn't enough out there, and that i would fail if I did it.
Reply 7
0129Hippy
No, thats the whole deal with Advanced Highers...You don't get the colourful and interactive books and websites like you do with standard grades and highers. You're supposed to be doing proper reseach, reading proper books...its first year Uni standard for god's sake!

Proper research does not rule out using websites. In fact, as someone undertaking a research project in their final undergraduate year, I'm using the internet for research a heck of a lot, and we are strongly encouraged to not limit our sources to books alone. There's also absolutely no need to be rude to someone who was asking a completely fair question.

OP, is there anything in particular you are looking to find for AH Drama. I didn't study it, but if I know the area you're wanting to study I could quite possibly recommend something.
Reply 8
Well I'm studying Stanislavski and Brecht. No particular area within them, I'm supposed to know everything in the SQA Guidelines for each (http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/C037Drama_AH.pdf, Pages 10 and 11) I know quite a lot about them now, due to having most of the books on the LTScotland Bibliography, and I have aseveral websites. I just need some essay answers is all so I can see how one should go about answering. If all else fails, I'll go with my instincts, which are to just write what I know tailored to the question, treating it like a Modern Studies or English essay with reference to PEELing.
RobbieNewton
" The Childrens Hearing System is failing both the Scottish public and young people"

That's the title, just chose an SQA one, my teacher kept hammering me because I wanted to do one on Youth Crime, kept saying that there wasn't enough out there, and that i would fail if I did it.

Well, while that is a bit weird as my teacher is BFF with Irene Morrison (head marker of AH Mods or something) and she said she'd be really interested in my youth crime one:confused:

However, I am finding it quite tough... though so is everyone else in my class and they are doing SQA ones. I would be finding it even tougher if it was solely on the CHS - my other headings are about Youth ASBOs and public perception of youth crime.

I'd recommend you look into the youth court trial stuff for alternatives to the CHS.

Can you let me know if you find anything of particular interest?

Reply 10
Well, I've got a book by "Maurice, Hughes and McLaughlin" called "Youth Justice" and another one called "Youth Justice and Child Protection", not had a chance to look at them but apparantely, they contain stuff on the Hearing System.

And I dont' believe my teacher because my title is an SQA one. It's rather tough since I'm doing Study Theme 2 Contexts B and D, and this falls into S2CC.

I have found some stuff of interest in the form of leaflets from the headquarters, and I was going to observe a hearing but turns out that the place gave the Lawyer I was working with the wrong date, so we missed it. I am also meeting up with the chair of the Edinburgh Section sometime in November for an Unstructured Interview, which should be good.

Finally, on a tangent, if you are doing the Law and Order one, I can recommend this site - http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199270361/ - It is an accompany guide to the book from Oxford Press

And for Social Research methods, this is a definite recommendation - http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199202959/ - The book can be bought for around £30, and it is invaluable, the book contains lots of detailed information, with case studies and analysis, of each research method, and you can then go to the website to do quizzes to test your knowledge
RobbieNewton
Well, I've got a book by "Maurice, Hughes and McLaughlin" called "Youth Justice" and another one called "Youth Justice and Child Protection", not had a chance to look at them but apparantely, they contain stuff on the Hearing System.

And I dont' believe my teacher because my title is an SQA one. It's rather tough since I'm doing Study Theme 2 Contexts B and D, and this falls into S2CC.

I have found some stuff of interest in the form of leaflets from the headquarters, and I was going to observe a hearing but turns out that the place gave the Lawyer I was working with the wrong date, so we missed it. I am also meeting up with the chair of the Edinburgh Section sometime in November for an Unstructured Interview, which should be good.

Finally, on a tangent, if you are doing the Law and Order one, I can recommend this site - http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199270361/ - It is an accompany guide to the book from Oxford Press

And for Social Research methods, this is a definite recommendation - http://www.oup.com/uk/orc/bin/9780199202959/ - The book can be bought for around £30, and it is invaluable, the book contains lots of detailed information, with case studies and analysis, of each research method, and you can then go to the website to do quizzes to test your knowledge

Latest

Trending

Trending