The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, i'm applying to UCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester. Good to find another HoA person on here!
Reply 2
KatieBaby
Hey everyone, just made a threat for all hopeful art historians 2009!
Where are you applying to, and has anyone got an offer yet?

Katie x

Ah! Never thought I would find fellow HoA applicants here. =) This feels nice!

Am applying to UCL, York, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds. I've submitted my form last week but.... my referee hasn't started the reference yet. =((

Good luck to all!
Reply 3
Well look at this... we have are own student base already!
Might be seeing you guys at UCL :wink:

Have either of you studied HoA at school?
I havn't, should I be worried?! :s-smilie:

Katie x
Reply 4
KatieBaby
Well look at this... we have are own student base already!
Might be seeing you guys at UCL :wink:

Have either of you studied HoA at school?
I havn't, should I be worried?! :s-smilie:

Katie x

Ahah! All of us are applying for UCL! Do hope we get the offers... Heard it's highly competitive?
How's your application coming along? I'm still waiting for my poor referee... =(

I didn't actually study HoA at school since it isn't offered here. Don't think it would be a problem though. I, er, keep up by watching 'Private Lives' and Schamas...
Reply 5
yea UCL is competitive apparently! they do interviews and all lol
my application was sent before 15th for oxford deadline but havnt heard anything yet...

they didnt offer it at my skl either so yea done my reading in attempts to get clued up!
its such a fab subject though!!!

Katie x
Reply 6
Wow. A history of art thread! And omg. I'd never thought I'd see another Singaporean applying for history of art! tree12, what JC are you studying in?

I've applied for Courtauld, Cambridge, UCL and U of St. Andrews. Haven't had any conclusive news yet, though I'll be going for my Cambridge interview and test sometime next week. I'm horribly nervous - I need to get in to one of these universities as Singaporean ones don't offer History of Art, and I love the subject!

Do all of you guys meet the language requirements? That is, a modern European language at GCSE level? I have zero mastery over any other European language and I'm just so afraid it'll damage my chances beyond all salvation. ): But since I haven't yet recieved any outright rejections and cambridge has offered me an interview, I'm just trying to stay positive about it. I've only chosen to apply to those that seem more accomodating with regards to the language factor.

And nope, I don't take the subject either. Doing Literature, History, KI (Philosophy & Epistemology) and Mathematics at A level, with an extra History module. I'm very sure not taking HoA at A level won't damage your chances a bit! So don't worry about that.

At any rate, GOOD LUCK! HoA is an awesome subject and I hope everyone here gets to do it in the university of their choice!
Reply 7
Moi! Doing it with French. Applying to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and I need to pick two others.

No one at my school is going to do HoA so this is all very exciting! Let's, you know, talk about it.:biggrin: Why do you want to study HoA? How did you get interested in it? Why is it such an incredibly valuable and vocational degree, in no way worthy of the raised eyebrows and derisive snorts of people planning to do so-called 'useful' (PAH! *spits*) degrees? Etc.:yep:
Reply 8
Lol.... I'm sure no one in my school has any plans to do art history either. When I tell them I want to do it, they'll be asking me why don't I want to do law instead. xD I want to become a curator... so that's why I'm doing it.
Reply 9
well then it makes sense doesnt it?!!

what really frustrates me is when people say "oh... what is it?"

lol

Katie x
Reply 10
It's even funnier when they think that the curator is the person in a suit walking around and pretending to admire the paintings or the woman at the counter.

Urgh... curators are neither security guards nor receptionists.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, why isn't anyone else applying for Courtuald? It is the best in the field, right?
Reply 11
it is indeed and im applying there!

Katie x
Reply 12
ahah! This is getting very exciting indeed. =)

@mewyq: Hihi fellow Singaporean! Well there's another girl at my college applying for HoA too, how surprising? Hmm... i study in one of the colleges in the East; suspense, suspense!

Well... the only reason why I didn't apply to the Courthauld was that I wanted a 'normal' university education, with non-HoA people I can psycho. Okay, this sounds really superficial. And that with my grades it does seem unrealistic. But I do hope to go there for post-grad, so yeah. Ahah. Thinking so far ahead...

How I got interested in History of Art? I did a crash course 2 years back. Fell in love immediately. Plus I've got a really good general studies teacher here who constantly feeds me with the latest (?) articles, TV documentaries etc. Am really lucky. =)
Haven't really envisioned what I'll be doing in the future but I think I'll like to work at auction houses/conservation. I just know I want to study HoA!!!
Reply 13
what grades have you got? and what are you expected to get?

Katie x
Reply 14
tree12: Wow! That's a real surprise. I don't know any other Singaporeans applying for History of Art. Can I assume that you're from TJ or VJ? Where is your friend applying to? (P.s. I've just PMed you!)

Edit; Katie: We're taking rather different qualifications but if you're interested, I've gotten 5A1s (mainly in the humanities) and 4A2s (mainly in the sciences) in the GCE O Levels. I've attained As in Chinese and Project Work at H1 level (something like AS I think) and I'm predicted 4As and a distinction for my A level courses. I think the standard for international applicants would tend to be higher, considering the very limited number of places so I don't think we're actually your competitors - considered differently.
Reply 15
sounds like youd have no trouble applying there but hey, good luck!

Katie x
Reply 16
@Katie: Er. Some strange school policy meant that I don't get know my predicted grades. But going by my school prelim grades, it's a ABC? Depressed :frown:

@mewyq: Friend pretty much applied to the same schools as me. I wonder why... ahah. You got to know your predicted grades! I hope they bump mine up though. I slipped during the prelims, sigh.

Referee has yet to do my reference, sigh. Remember to share the joy if you get an offer kay!
Reply 17
tree12: It never hurts to bug your refeee a bit, though they're probably busy now with consultations and PW etc. I'm sure you'll be predicted AAA if you got ABC at prelim! Prelims are so bleeding hard!
Reply 18
hey, guys. glad to see im not the only one in the world to want to read hoa at uni! has anyone heard from UCL yet? and has anyone applied to Cambridge?

goood luck!
x
Reply 19
mewyq
Wow. A history of art thread! And omg. I'd never thought I'd see another Singaporean applying for history of art! tree12, what JC are you studying in?

I've applied for Courtauld, Cambridge, UCL and U of St. Andrews. Haven't had any conclusive news yet, though I'll be going for my Cambridge interview and test sometime next week. I'm horribly nervous - I need to get in to one of these universities as Singaporean ones don't offer History of Art, and I love the subject!

OMG, Ive applied to exactly the same unis except for St.Andrews (i chose Edinburgh instead)! :smile: when did Cambridge give you an interview? by the way, what did you write in your supplemetary statement? im writing it now :confused:

x

Latest

Trending

Trending