The Student Room Group
London Metropolitan.

Owned by the London Metropolitan Police innit.
Reply 2
Dartmoor Prison... Oh, wait.
Reply 3
dmu
Reply 4
I've moved this to the social science course forum and can we please give sensible answers?

Anyway, there are no "best" unis for criminology (unless you take league tables literally and, even then, I don't think there are any for sociology). I've heard good things about Lancaster's and Cardiff's courses and possibly Keele but can't really go into any great detail as this isn't my area.

So what are you looking for in terms of location? Have you any specific interests in the area? What are your predicted grades (although I don't think entry requirements will be too high for this course), I know Durham have a typical offer of only BBB - a long way from the AAAs/AABs found in many of their other subjects. Many other unis will ask the same (more or less).
River85
I've moved this to the social science course forum and can we please give sensible answers?

Anyway, there are no "best" unis for criminology (unless you take league tables literally and, even then, I don't think there are any for sociology)
. I've heard good things about Lancaster's and Cardiff's courses and possibly Keele but can't really go into any great detail as this isn't my area.

So what are you looking for in terms of location? Have you any specific interests in the area? What are your predicted grades (although I don't think entry requirements will be too high for this course), I know Durham have a typical offer of only BBB - a long way from the AAAs/AABs found in many of their other subjects. Many other unis will ask the same (more or less).

I agree.

The degree is still fairly new so I really couldn't say what Uni is best for it. Also a lot of the Uni's that are doing the Criminology degree have completely different modules to what other Universities are doing, different assessment methods, ie some Uni's have lots of exams, some have lots of assignments/presentations (like mine has) and etc.

My best advice would be to search the Uni's, which you want to go to, look up the Criminology on their website or etc and go from there.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 6
DancinBallerina
I agree.

The degree is still fairly new so I really couldn't say what Uni is best for it. Also a lot of the Uni's that are doing the Criminology degree have completely different modules to what other Universities are doing, different assessment methods, ie some Uni's have lots of exams, some have lots of assignments/presentations (like mine has) and etc.

My best advice would be to search the Uni's, which you want to go to, look up the Criminology on their website or etc and go from there.

I'm just trying to keep my options open so I can narrow down to my top five when it's time to apply!
Reply 7
DancinBallerina
I agree.

What is this about Sociology? There are league tables, but **** league tables.
Reply 8
My degree is in criminology, and I would say the most noted unis for Criminology are: Leeds, Keele, Kent, Hull, Cardiff, Manchester, Leicester. Durham has just started a course as well. Also consider joint degrees like sociology and criminology. A lot of unis that have good sociology departments might offer criminology modules e.g. Loughborough is very good for sociology.
layla_1234
What is this about Sociology? There are league tables, but **** league tables.

Errrr im talking about Criminology and I didn't say anything about league tables or Sociology . . . :rolleyes: because im doing a joint honours degree doesn't mean what I said is talking about Sociology. I enjoy Criminology a lot more than Sociology - only took joint honours to break up the Criminology (didn't want to get bored of it and then start with the ''I want to quit because im bored'' scenario/moaning).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Reply 10
DancinBallerina
Errrr im talking about Criminology and I didn't say anything about league tables or Sociology . . . :rolleyes: because im doing a joint honours degree doesn't mean what I said is talking about Sociology. I enjoy Criminology a lot more than Sociology - only took joint honours to break up the Criminology (didn't want to get bored of it and then start with the ''I want to quit because im bored'' scenario/moaning).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway, there are no "best" unis for criminology (unless you take league tables literally and, even then, I don't think there are any for sociology).... what do you mean by that???

OP you have to chose a course based on the location of the uni (i.e the city it is in), accomodation (some are ensuite and on campus, or miles away, price, JCR etc) and the course. Get two out of three and you are fine.
layla_1234
Anyway, there are no "best" unis for criminology (unless you take league tables literally and, even then, I don't think there are any for sociology).... what do you mean by that???

OP you have to chose a course based on the location of the uni (i.e the city it is in), accomodation (some are ensuite and on campus, or miles away, price, JCR etc) and the course. Get two out of three and you are fine.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about nor do you understand what im saying - I did NOT mention anything about league tables in regards to Criminology or Sociology (which I didn't mention in the first place :s-smilie:.

Actually do you even know the difference between Criminology and Sociology? . . .sounds like your getting a tad confused between the 2 perhaps? :dontknow: . . .:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Im at loughborough doing Sociology (final year)... and i've taken a fair few Criminology modules ( at Loughborough the course is Criminology and Social Policy, unless they've changed it)... so if you want to know anything in particular about loughborough or the social sciences dept (I'm currently Chair of the Social Sciences Dept Committee) pm me =]
I regret not applying to Hull, seriously.
Reply 14
NDGAARONDI
I regret not applying to Hull, seriously.

It's a blummin' fine uni (

Now you're at Durham and know what things are like here, would you chose it over Durham?

:eek: That was a bit clumsy. Can't be bothered to rephrase it though :p:
River85
It's a blummin' fine uni (

Now you're at Durham and know what things are like here, would you chose it over Durham?

:eek: That was a bit clumsy. Can't be bothered to rephrase it though :p:

I didn't apply to Hull to start with. Chose Durham because LSE rejected me. :p:
I was just wondering because a few of you mentioned Hull, why you think its so good?? Because I have applied there and had an offer, but I kind of want to go to either Liverpool or York instead, but am intrigued as to what is so good at Hull?? :smile:

Latest