The Student Room Group

Primark thread

What questions do they ask at the interview and what is the pay like?

I have just been offered a job at sainsburys but after months of waiting they tell me its temporary.

Dont know what to do :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is the job at primark temporary?
Its all experience and they could keep you on for a full time contract.
Pay is ****, and they work you like dogs. loads of people told me this before i started working there and i didnt believe them..three months later i left...if i were you..id go for sainsburys..anything over primark..
Pay isn't bad, all depends on which store you're at. I'm 18 and get £5.57.
I really enjoy it, I've worked there for nearly 2 and a half years now. It is hard work though, but provided you get good colleagues it's fun =]
Reply 4
The pay I got was awful, awful, awful and my job was essentially picking up shoes for six hours. I would never work in Primark again - it really was a horrible place to work. The managers basically bullied me into doing overtime, and would often keep me up to an hour past my contracted hours without asking me - basically I had to - and later found out I wasn't even paid for this.

I'm not saying your experience will be anything like mine but on the whole I've learnt it's not a very nice place to work, and certainly not for the money you get.
Live82005
The pay I got was awful, awful, awful and my job was essentially picking up shoes for six hours. I would never work in Primark again - it really was a horrible place to work. The managers basically bullied me into doing overtime, and would often keep me up to an hour past my contracted hours without asking me - basically I had to - and later found out I wasn't even paid for this.

I'm not saying your experience will be anything like mine but on the whole I've learnt it's not a very nice place to work, and certainly not for the money you get.

I completely agree...if you work til when the store closes, you'll definately be there for an extra unpaid hour at least, folding and tidying. I also go bullied into overtime, and while managers swanned around chatting, the sales assistants were worked solid. If i were you i really wouldnt work there.
katechar_X
I completely agree...if you work til when the store closes, you'll definately be there for an extra unpaid hour at least, folding and tidying. I also go bullied into overtime, and while managers swanned around chatting, the sales assistants were worked solid. If i were you i really wouldnt work there.

I agree with the managers thing. They seem to love standing around watching everyone else work hard while they do NOTHING.
But I guess things must vary from store to store, as the most I've ever stayed after closing time is 25 minutes, and that's always paid. :s-smilie:
I worked in primark for 8 months and i really like it :smile:
I worked on customer services doing the 4pm-8pm shift - the shop would close at 6.30pm - then we would do recovery (which was a nightmare) but with good fun workers it made the time go faster.
The pay was not very good i was on £3.95 and the day i left it got put up to £4.04 for under 18. The reason i left was because of the pay (i couldnt live on £58 per month) and i hated getting the train home after 8pm. I have got another job with john lewis on £5.75 per hour working 13 hours per week (sat&sun) but you have to do a hell of alot more. You basically do everything supervisors & managers do. So if i was you i would give primark a chance the people in my store were all great and i really miss working there but i still pop in to see them all once in a while! :smile:
Reply 8
i work in primark £5.79 an hour (at vue cinemas i was on £5.10 an hour) there are days i hate it n then days i enjoy it!
alot of the time they ask me to do 6-11 overtime during the week but i think they get annoyed when i say no to doing it at all, or if i say i can only do until 10.30, as the last bus is 11.05.......dont think they like the fact i cant do overtime if i cant find a baby sitter either even though they knew i had a baby before taking me on (i warned them at the interview)!
Reply 9
Primark was probably the worst 8 months of my life. Absolutely hated it. Slave labour.
Reply 10
I have an induction with them tomorrow (10 till 6) and then I should be starting work on Thursday. Apparently my hours are 5-9 on Thursday, 9-1 Saturday and 10-2 Sunday. I'm 17 so I think my pay is something like £4/hour but I'm not sure. There's absolutely no way I can do overtime on the Thursday though, the last train is about 9:30 and then I'll have to do whatever homework I have when I get in. Not sure whether to look forward to this or not really. I do need a job and it's only 12 hours a week but it just seems like it's gonna be hell :s-smilie:
Reply 11
James1991
I have an induction with them tomorrow (10 till 6) and then I should be starting work on Thursday. Apparently my hours are 5-9 on Thursday, 9-1 Saturday and 10-2 Sunday. I'm 17 so I think my pay is something like £4/hour but I'm not sure. There's absolutely no way I can do overtime on the Thursday though, the last train is about 9:30 and then I'll have to do whatever homework I have when I get in. Not sure whether to look forward to this or not really. I do need a job and it's only 12 hours a week but it just seems like it's gonna be hell :s-smilie:

how did u manage to get a mix of weekends and weekdays???
i got told they only done either a weekday contract or weekend contract and NOT a mix :s hence why ive ended up with only saturdays :frown: told them i could do tuesday, wednesday after 2, thursday, saturday and sunday but they said i could only have weekday or weekend
ThisIsMeOkay?
I worked in primark for 8 months and i really like it :smile:
I worked on customer services doing the 4pm-8pm shift - the shop would close at 6.30pm - then we would do recovery (which was a nightmare) but with good fun workers it made the time go faster.
The pay was not very good i was on £3.95 and the day i left it got put up to £4.04 for under 18. The reason i left was because of the pay (i couldnt live on £58 per month) and i hated getting the train home after 8pm. I have got another job with john lewis on £5.75 per hour working 13 hours per week (sat&sun) but you have to do a hell of alot more. You basically do everything supervisors & managers do. So if i was you i would give primark a chance the people in my store were all great and i really miss working there but i still pop in to see them all once in a while! :smile:

I used to work on customer servicessss. I didn't mind it, I just hated the managers. I got about £175 a month, I did 8 hours a week and over time, but only did over time because the managers basically bullied you into it.
what about the interview, what was it like?
Well I had a group interview because they were recruiting for a new store. But I had an individual interview as well, basically asking you for examples of when you've helped someone, reasons for why you left your last job, the usual questions really. Might be handy to know some knowledge about Primark too.
Reply 15
lolly pop
how did u manage to get a mix of weekends and weekdays???
i got told they only done either a weekday contract or weekend contract and NOT a mix :s hence why ive ended up with only saturdays :frown: told them i could do tuesday, wednesday after 2, thursday, saturday and sunday but they said i could only have weekday or weekend

They basically said at the interview "Weekend staff are expected to do 1 evening a week as well". It's the Liverpool store though that might just be because of the season, I'm not sure :confused:
Well the interview was easy, when I had it they asked me about what my responsibilities were in my previous jobs and when you had to work in a team etc.
But I'd go and work for Sainsbury's to be honest. Primark is a slave driver. I felt like dying after my shift hence why I quit after 2 months.
James1991
They basically said at the interview "Weekend staff are expected to do 1 evening a week as well". It's the Liverpool store though that might just be because of the season, I'm not sure :confused:

I worked in the Liverpool store, on customer services.
I worked at Primark on saturdays and sundays for over 4 years (may 2004-jul 2008.) Once you've been there over six months you just get used to it.
Reply 19
killerbeats
I worked in the Liverpool store, on customer services.

That's my department now... I was till trained today (annoying as anything) and start Customer Servicing (if that's the right term) on Thursday... whoop-de-doo :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest