The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if you have something genuinely wrong with you i think you go to the GP and ask if they can give you one
Does your doctor know the thing's wrong with you?
If so, just ring up your surgery, get the doc to ring you back, and ask over the phone. Then collect at surgery in a week or so :smile:
If he doesn't, you'll actually need to go in and talk to him :tongue:
If you are ill for up to 7 days you can go to the surgery and sign yourself off for that amount of time. They will give you a form to authorise it. After 7 days you will need a full on doctors certificate and that means you will need to go and make an appointment to see your GP. If they know you are genuinely ill they will give you one.
Reply 4
well, i went to the doctors a few days ago and was diagnosed with depression, but at the time asked about a DR's note, but couldnt really understand what he said, but it was something about self certifying. But i have no idea what thats about and have been told to get an actual Dr's note :s-smilie:
You just book an appt with your GP, go along, tell him what's wrong and that you need a dr's note and then they'll write you one.

A lot of the time, they charge you a small fee. I paid £10 for my last one.
Go to the doctors, and explain what's wrong, and say you need one and they give it to you. I've had one before and that's how I got mine :smile:
Self-certifying - thats when you just fill in an absence form yourself, but is usually just when you're ill for a short time. Im guessing your depression has been or is ongoing so phone up the surgery and ask for a doctor's note instead.

For example I had a dislocated knee - for the first week I had to self-cert but after that I was required to have a doctor's note. The hospital gave me one at my appointment when I asked for one. If you say the uni is asking then they should be able to give you one
Reply 8
At my doctor's surgery, we're asked to pay £15 for a note. Regardless of your problem.
Danielle89
Self-certifying - thats when you just fill in an absence form yourself, but is usually just when you're ill for a short time. Im guessing your depression has been or is ongoing so phone up the surgery and ask for a doctor's note instead.

For example I had a dislocated knee - for the first week I had to self-cert but after that I was required to have a doctor's note. The hospital gave me one at my appointment when I asked for one. If you say the uni is asking then they should be able to give you one

Umm the OP didn't say he/she had depression :s-smilie:
Redpanda91

Take a look at post 5. Yes he/she did :smile:
Reply 11
Redpanda91

He/She did.
Reply 12
im a she btw.

So i need it by next wednesday at the very latest, i take it that possible?

So ill just ring up and make an appointment, should i just say its for a note or not? Also, i only went to the doctors on monday, will they say i need to self certify till this coming monday before they can give me a note? i was ill before then, this was just when i built up courage to go to docs.

:o: sorry, i just am such a noob at this
Reply 13
member101
At my doctor's surgery, we're asked to pay £15 for a note. Regardless of your problem.
If it's within the self-cert time frame, and an employer or school is demanding it, get them to pay.
Reply 14
Renal
If it's within the self-cert time frame, and an employer or school is demanding it, get them to pay.

I got a small tear in my stomach wall the day before a GCSE exam, spent my morning and afternoon throwing up blood, and the evening in the hospital. Our exams officer asked for a doctor's note, the doctor asked for £15.
Reply 15
member101
I got a small tear in my stomach wall the day before a GCSE exam, spent my morning and afternoon throwing up blood, and the evening in the hospital. Our exams officer asked for a doctor's note, the doctor asked for £15.
Mmmm...

I can't remember the details, but I since you're applying for extenuating circumstances (rather than something under employment law) think that's something you need to pay for yourself.
Reply 16
oh, mines for mitigating circumstances at uni, ill guess ill have to pay :frown: is there like a maximum price they cost? Also cos its depression, i dont know like whether it will affect future stuff, will i need to pay everytime i need one for uni?
Danielle89
Take a look at post 5. Yes he/she did :smile:

Oh sorry :o:
Reply 18
Renal
Mmmm...

I can't remember the details, but I since you're applying for extenuating circumstances (rather than something under employment law) think that's something you need to pay for yourself.

Mhmmm. Doesn't matter now anyway.
Reply 19
Anonymous
well, i went to the doctors a few days ago and was diagnosed with depression, but at the time asked about a DR's note, but couldnt really understand what he said, but it was something about self certifying. But i have no idea what thats about and have been told to get an actual Dr's note :s-smilie:

Self-certification is normally only accepted for absences of up to about a week. Beyond that, you will need a doctor's note, which can only be given by the doctor that is treating you or by another doctor with the first doctor's consent.

Latest