The Student Room Group

Can iTunes Vouchers Be Used in the App Store?

Me, my in laws and my mum are buying my bf an iPod touch for Xmas. Now to help other rellies out they obviously want gift suggestions. My bf will probably be downloading/buying games + apps from the iTunes App Store so it would be great if they can just buy him iTunes gift vouchers.

My question is, can normal iTunes vouchers be used for purchases of Applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch? Have had a quick scan through the checkout T&Cs but I can't see anything in there.

Thanks for any help provided!!
Reply 1
Nope.

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos, TV shows, and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/giftcard/
Reply 2
Cortez, that is the bit that confuses me because the App store IS inside iTunes software and isn't on apple.com/store.....
Cortez
Nope.

What can I buy with an iTunes Gift Card or iTunes Gift Certificate?

iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates can be used to purchase music, videos, TV shows, and audio books from the iTunes Store. At this time, iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates are not accepted for online Apple Store purchases.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/giftcard/

No, the online Apple Store is this bit, which isn't inside iTunes at all.

As for whether you can use it to buy Apps... yes, I think you can, as the vouchers give you so much credit, which is used up on whatever each item (track, album, film) costs. He might find that he has to redeem the vouchers from iTunes itself and not from the iPod, but I don't see why Apps would be excluded from that unless it specifically says to in the T&C's.
Reply 4
I've emailed apple and apparently they will respond within 48 hrs so watch this space...
Reply 5
I would guess so but haven't tried it
Reply 6
Oh my bad. I read it App Store purchases :redface:
You can buy Applications for your iPod Touch or iPhone in iTunes with iTunes Vouchers.
BUT
You can not use iTunes vouchers to buy items on the Apple online store (eg: to buy computers, ipods and earphones)

I remember when I used to get the iTunes credit really cheap on eBay.. such a shame, they clamped down on it now :frown:
Reply 8
That was quick:

I understand you would like to know if you can use your iTunes Gift Card to make purchases in the App Store. I can definitely see your concern and I'm happy to give you some information about what languages and currencies it uses.

In countries that have an iTunes Store, the App Store is available along with the music and other features of the iTunes Store, in the same language and using the same currency. The App Store in these countries accepts the same payment types as the iTunes Stores for those countries, such as credit cards, gift cards, store credit, PayPal, and so on.

Because your country has an iTunes store, you can use your gift card to purchase items on the app store.

Many other countries have an App Store that is currently the only item featured in the iTunes Store. For these countries, the App Store will appear in English and the currency will be either the US dollar, the Euro, or the Peso, depending on the country. These App Stores accept credit cards but only certain types. For instance, the App Store for Mexico accepts Visa and MasterCard, while the App Stores in the other countries accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. The App Stores in these countries do not accept other payment types such as gift cards, store credit, PayPal, and so on.

I hope this information has helped.Thank you for your understanding and for contacting the iTunes Store. We truly appreciate your business. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Beverly
iTunes Store Customer Support
Reply 9
I can see why the have wrote it out long but why the need? Why do I need to know about mexico? A simple yes would suffice
Reply 10
Maybe she wanted to kill some time? lol
You guys are legendary man......lookin for this answer for two bleedin days. Thanks guys. and your right, that Beverly chick took the mick.

Latest

Trending

Trending