The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you visit the girl with your family and a wedding ring on your palm ... no. Any contact with the opposite sex who isn't related is considered haraam .. i believe!
Well, not really as long as you two don't have sex. Try to avoid kissing and holding hands but that's inevitable really...

How about, if you have a strong contentment to Islam, just be really close friends? Maybe if you like each other that much you'll marry. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's the only way to be sure and not to 'break' the laws of Islam.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
In culture they think it is.

I don't agree with that by the way
Ramadulla
Well, not really as long as you two don't have sex. Try to avoid kissing and holding hands but that's inevitable really...

How about, if you have a strong contentment to Islam, just be really close friends? Maybe if you like each other that much you'll marry. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's the only way to be sure and not to 'break' the laws of Islam.

Hope this helps.

couldn't have put it better meself :yep:
i dont think its haram but it is frowned upon.
You are not allowed to be alone without having a Mah'ram present, as far as I am aware.

To be honest, you shouldn't have a girlfriend as even if your intentions are pure it could easily lead you to commit sin and even to the point where you may commit Zin'ah.

With the above in mind, what kind of relationship are you likely to have?. Especially if the other half is looking to be more intimate than you are.
Reply 7
Or just stop being Muslim. It seems you disagree with something your religion tells you do to/not to do, so just give your religion the finger and do what you want to do.
Reply 8
its not haraam, its just looked down upon. Just make sure there is no sexual contact between you two, as in, kissing, general touching(hand holding)... << but all that, as in holding hands, is hard when your in a relationship.
Reply 9
ashy
:rofl:

Part time Muslim: follow your beliefs Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday.

Or just stop being Muslim. It seems you disagree with something your religion tells you do to/not to do, so just give your religion the finger and do what you want to do.

Or perhaps not be so hedonistic and simply submit to what your religion asks of you.
It's Haraam.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1114/

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=81356&Option=FatwaId

I've yet to hear of any scholar/opinion(not that of your average joe) that states otherwise.
Reply 11
yusufu
Or perhaps not be so hedonistic and simply submit to what your religion asks of you.

Wanting a girlfriend is hardly hedonistic. Why follow something so blindly when it clearly conflicts with natural feelings and desires?
Ramadulla

Hope this helps.

This.
ashy
Wanting a girlfriend is hardly hedonistic. Why follow something so blindly when it clearly conflicts with natural feelings and desires?

No one is asked to follow Islam blindly, rather we are encouraged to seek knowledge because this is the foundation of faith. Having said this, if the OP identifies himself as a Muslim, then he should accept the laws of Islam without question as they are from Allah (azza'wajjal).
Reply 14
ashy

Going off topic here but who said anything about following things blindly?
Reply 15
yusufu
Going off topic here but who said anything about following things blindly?

Ok, no one, but if he wants a girlfriend, and his religion doesn't allow him, why should he just follow his religion? Surely his religion is less important than his life.
Ibn al-Khattab
No one is asked to follow Islam blindly, rather we are encouraged to seek knowledge because this is the foundation of faith. Having said this, if the OP identifies himself as a Muslim, then he should accept the laws of Islam without question as they are from Allah (azza'wajjal).

What's with the special font?
Reply 17
Ibn al-Khattab

Writing it in larger text doesn't sway me any more than regularly sized text.

That's also why I'm saying that he shouldn't be a Muslim, as the rules set down by Islam clearly conflict with what he wants.
Reply 18
I thought any contact with a girl was a no-no?
ashy
Ok, no one, but if he wants a girlfriend, and his religion doesn't allow him, why should he just follow his religion? Surely his religion is less important than his life.

:confused:

If he believes in his religion, that is he believes that God exists and doesn't want him to do certain things, and will be punished if he does, he's not going to do them because he feels like it. It's not difficult to understand why he wouldn't want to break the laws of his religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending