The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Applicants '09!

Hi there
Is anyone applying for Orthoptics out there? I can't find anyone apart from the odd one or two on TSR. It'd just be nice to see if anyone's got interviews and/or offers or anything yet! [I know it's pretty early for offers but oh well!]

I've sent my application off, but so far I've only got an acknowledgement from Manchester for Optometry.

Anyone else? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am applying for the orthoptics course at either Sheffield or Liverpool. But the only thing that I don't have is a GCSE in maths in which I have obtained a D grade. I am worried that once my UCAS application is submitted that I won't get any offers from them. Can anyone please help!!!
Reply 2
am applying for orthoptics wooo
Mariya
I am applying for the orthoptics course at either Sheffield or Liverpool. But the only thing that I don't have is a GCSE in maths in which I have obtained a D grade. I am worried that once my UCAS application is submitted that I won't get any offers from them. Can anyone please help!!!

Sorry it's took me ages to check back on this thread seeing as there's like none of us xD
I'd say email liverpool and sheffield, and ask, they've both been very helpful when I've emailed them in the past! :yep: Only problem is, there is quite physics-y bits in orthoptics to do with lenses and stuff, which obviously I presume will include calculations to a degree. I dunno what A levels you've done though so...? I mean if you've done physics you've proved you can do maths, or chem, theres maths in that too, but you're best asking them tbh! You can find the emails for the admissions tutors on both sites I believe.

As for the continuation of this thread..
I got an offer for Orthoptics at Liverpool, CCC, 6 days after I sent my app off I think? Just so everyone knows a time frame :smile: I haven't even got an acknowledgement off sheffield yet though. But liverpools my first choice so I'm content whatever happens tbh! :biggrin:
Anyone else sent them off, if so, when? :smile:
Yayyy orthoptics people! :biggrin:
Bump.
+ Anyone heard anything from Sheffield yet? I'm quite content with my Liverpool offer but I'm just curious :biggrin:
Reply 5
Av not got a notification from Sheffield, not heard anything from liverpool y won't they give me an offer ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 6
Ive just about finished my personal statement and my other choices so i should be sending my app off this week :smile: (if my form tutor has done my reference!) :biggrin:
I'm sure liverpool will give you an offer shingy! don't worry, they didn't interview me or anything I got it in 6 days or something. Everyone come to liverpool 'cause that's where I'm going *uses that emot on msn that has shades on*. I'm presuming sheffield haven't handed out any offers yet then, seeing as no one has heard anything? Maybe they're going to wait 'til the deadline or something...I hope not though.
And good to know oladz, keep us posted on your offers! :biggrin:
I'll keep checking back, but seeing as theres about 4 of us on here, I don't think we're gunna get many others now :p:
:smile:
Reply 8
hello has anyone recieved from liverpool a fee status questionnaire, i thought the fees were paid for. help any ideas!!!
Reply 9
shingy
hello has anyone recieved from liverpool a fee status questionnaire, i thought the fees were paid for. help any ideas!!!

"Once you have applied for the orthoptic degree andachieved a conditional offer the DoH will send you an application form for thefunding of the degree."

Thats from an admissions tutor at Sheffield.
Hey all! I got my offer from Sheffield for BBB [and I think shingy did aswell] and I'm invited to the department open day on either the 28th of Jan or the 10th of Dec. I have an exam on the 28th, so I'm going on the 10th :biggrin: Anyone else? I'm gunna be on my own too - I have no idea how to get to Sheffield! >.<
Anyone else got their Sheffield offer, and which day are you going? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Hey

I've had offers from Liv and Sheff! Im already doing a physiology degree tho so my offers for a 2:1 from both places....
are there any other people doing orthoptics as a second degree?

If anyone wants to know anything about Liverpool uni (which halls to go to , how to get there from the station etc etc) feel free to ask as im here doing my degree already!

=] :woo:
Kiyoko
Hey

I've had offers from Liv and Sheff! Im already doing a physiology degree tho so my offers for a 2:1 from both places....
are there any other people doing orthoptics as a second degree?

If anyone wants to know anything about Liverpool uni (which halls to go to , how to get there from the station etc etc) feel free to ask as im here doing my degree already!

=] :woo:

Hi, how do you like Liverpool? [I presume you must seeing as you've been there for the past 3 years :p:] I live nearby so it's not a massive thing for me to be going there seeing as I'm living at home. What made you apply for Orthoptics after doing a physiology degree? Just wondering like :smile:.

For Liverpool applicants, I got a pack thing through the post today saying about a department open day on the 17th of Dec. Who's going? :biggrin:
I am actually so excited for uni :biggrin:
Reply 13
when did u receive yr offer form Liverpool av not heard anything yet, its scary people have got them i have not ahhhh
shingy
when did u receive yr offer form Liverpool av not heard anything yet, its scary people have got them i have not ahhhh

Well..I think I sent mine on the 29th of oct? And I think I had my Liverpool offer but the 4th of Nov? Infact, the day after I got my offer, I got the confirmation of just receiving my application letter in the post :p:. I think that was pretty quick though.
I was reading the admissions pack thing they sent out, and it said I need 'obligatory immunisations and blood tests', I hate needles but I suppose if this is what I want to do I'll have to have them. But does anyone have any idea what immunisations I need and what the blood tests are actually for? :smile:
Reply 15
Hey, yeah liverpool's great! Anyone who comes here will love it defo, the nightlife is great and the unis really good! tho you say your living at home... I 100% recomend living in halls! its 90% of the first year experience and soooo much fun!:ymca:

umm as for why im doing orthoptics...well Physiology wasnt what i wanted to do really, i was hoping to do medicine but that didnt work out and while doing physiology i decided the optical stuff we did has been what im most interested in and ive 100% gone of the idea of medicine! So... rather than do a PhD in something im not completly happy doing i figured i may aswell go into something that im really excited about! hence...orthoptics! WOO!

so there you have it..haha. Is everyone else going to the open day on the 17th? i am, quite nervous about it for some reason! I got my Liverpool offer last week sometime, I wouldnt panic Shingy... sometimes they just take aaaages to reply!:o:
Reply 16
foundintransmission
Well..I think I sent mine on the 29th of oct? And I think I had my Liverpool offer but the 4th of Nov? Infact, the day after I got my offer, I got the confirmation of just receiving my application letter in the post :p:. I think that was pretty quick though.
I was reading the admissions pack thing they sent out, and it said I need 'obligatory immunisations and blood tests', I hate needles but I suppose if this is what I want to do I'll have to have them. But does anyone have any idea what immunisations I need and what the blood tests are actually for? :smile:

Normaly they tell you once your here and you do it at student health...thats what happens with medics anyway, so i wouldnt worry about it:o: I also hate needles and was less than pleased to read that!!!

the blood tests are just to check your in good health so tht you can be let loose on the general public!
Kiyoko
Hey, yeah liverpool's great! Anyone who comes here will love it defo, the nightlife is great and the unis really good! tho you say your living at home... I 100% recomend living in halls! its 90% of the first year experience and soooo much fun!:ymca:

umm as for why im doing orthoptics...well Physiology wasnt what i wanted to do really, i was hoping to do medicine but that didnt work out and while doing physiology i decided the optical stuff we did has been what im most interested in and ive 100% gone of the idea of medicine! So... rather than do a PhD in something im not completly happy doing i figured i may aswell go into something that im really excited about! hence...orthoptics! WOO!

so there you have it..haha. Is everyone else going to the open day on the 17th? i am, quite nervous about it for some reason! I got my Liverpool offer last week sometime, I wouldnt panic Shingy... sometimes they just take aaaages to reply!:o:

The time it takes to get there on the bus is silly for me to live there =P [I live in st helens if you know where that is] and it's about 20 minutes on the train. Plus, with the course fees being paid for, and I'll probably get the highest bursary due to my parents income, there's a strong chance I'll get out of uni debt free, so I think it's a bit silly to live there. But, saying that, I have quite a few friends who are living in halls, so I can always perch there after a night out. :cool: But, as long as I make friends and that, I might end up getting somewhere with some friends from uni in my 2nd or 3rd year? No idea if I will though.
Cool stuff ^_^ I was trying to get my brother to look into physiology [he's in l6 but thinks uni wont matter for ages yet :p:] but I don't think he listened much :p: Yeah, even though it's three years + off, I'd love to do the PhD, 'cause I'd really like to go into research at some point, so it'd be ideal! And I'm pretty sure they only do that at Liverpool, not at Sheffield? Do you know much about the PhD btw, I tried to read a PDF on it and the table confused me, how long does it take if you do it full time?

I'm nervous for that open day too, but it'll be great to meet everyone else who is planning on going there! :biggrin: You'll all know it's me too 'cause I'm sad enough to put picture on here :p: Yay orthoptics people! I love it when people actually post on this thread, gets me so chuft for uni.

Haha, sorry for the rant people! You know how I get xD. Oh and about the immunisations, they stopped giving TB the year I was supposed to have it, do you think they'll make me have it? :eek:
Reply 18
Yeah getting a house in 2nd year is well exciting! :biggrin: tis great to finaly live in your own house properly!Currently im panicking about where to live next year as everyone i live with at the mo is finishing physiology this year and going off to different places!

As for an orthoptics PhD..i dont know much about it to be honest... I know that with Physiology the PhD's are varying lengths... 4 years mostly i think and often people go to diff unis to do it but obv as only liv and sheff do Orthoptics i dont know that u cud go to many other places sadly..tho i did read somewhere about maybe going abroad! :cool:

You going to the open day on your own? i am sadly! I shall feel way nervous being on my own! :s-smilie: If anyone fancys it we should go for a coffee or something after... then we can all panic and worry face to face haha!:woo:

(ohh and about your brother...Tell him physiologys ace! its been good fun and the tutors here are lovely!)
Reply 19
ps, theres an orthoptics at liverpool group on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=21971592620&ref=ts

The admissions tutor started it a while back. she seems nice!

Latest