The Student Room Group

Going the gym the day after a big drinking session

Ok as I've started training quite alot now alot of the time I don't get as bad as I used to be, especially now with uni gettin a bit harder. But last night mates 21st and free bar means I think all the hard works undone well and truly!

But if i'm wating to go the gym the next day I assume I should just do all cardio to sweat it out.

However on Sundays because most of my mates are in bed tell like 2 I'd rather do a full body workout to keep with my programme but is this ineffectual with the alcohol in my system. My mate said its pointless doing weights for like 2 days after a big session but then he doesn't even work out or go gym so not sure of his soruce.

Just wondering basically if i'd be wasting my time with weights if I go sometime today.

Cheers x
Just leave it. No work will be "undone" by missing a couple of days at the gym. I've been on holidays without the gym for a week at a time, I don't lose anything. In fact, if anything, I improve, cos I've had a rest.
Reply 2
Go to the gym, if your sober enough to walk your sober enough to work.
Reply 3
unless your talking in terms of fat loss (and even then its still incorrect) you cannot 'undo' your hard work. i dont know where the 'sweating' it out comes from either because you sweat alot doing weights also.

id suggest you drink lots of water, get plenty of carbs, multi-vits and then do a weights session later on in the day maybe 4pm.
Reply 4
Ok i might go do weights later at 4 and then reward myself with jacuzzi.

Just meant sweat it out because I do sweat obviously doing weights but its not as much compared to spinning and that.

Only reason I say undone is because eating well, training hard, and then boozin it up just makes u feel like i've undone all the spin classes ive bin to etc. by puttin on the calories i've burnt over the week.

Glad I can do weights though the day after and the muscles will still be good for it. Ta guise
Reply 5
you go to spinning classes? LOL. use the treadmill or punch bag like a real man.
Reply 6
Mattw89
Ok as I've started training quite alot now alot of the time I don't get as bad as I used to be, especially now with uni gettin a bit harder. But last night mates 21st and free bar means I think all the hard works undone well and truly!

But if i'm wating to go the gym the next day I assume I should just do all cardio to sweat it out.

However on Sundays because most of my mates are in bed tell like 2 I'd rather do a full body workout to keep with my programme but is this ineffectual with the alcohol in my system. My mate said its pointless doing weights for like 2 days after a big session but then he doesn't even work out or go gym so not sure of his soruce.

Just wondering basically if i'd be wasting my time with weights if I go sometime today.

Cheers x

Go if you want. I personally wouldn't because I'm useless in the gym if I have a hangover. Your spotter for bench will hate you too when it comes to breathing out, haha.
Reply 7
Hate those days where you don't get the hangover feeling, just feel like you're still drunk the whole day after! Wouldn't fancy lifting weights on those days lol. Personally I love cardio on a hangover day
Reply 8
i dont reccomend it, i went to the gym once with a hangover and it didnt end well, ended with me throwing up in the loo's, oh well, enough vodka and sambuca to sink a ship isnt good the morning after haha
All I can say is this...."If you have had a heavy night (particularly if you drink Guinness) followed by a dubious snack, do not, and I repeat, do not do any power lifting, especially squats. I have first hand experience of this so take heed of my warning.
I've set PBs after a night out before.
Reply 11
burningnun
I've set PBs after a night out before.

I just did :biggrin:

Congratulations.
Reply 13
Lara C.
you go to spinning classes? LOL. use the treadmill or punch bag like a real man.

You seen the chicks at a spin class? Its like being on holiday
I've only had one weights session when I was feeling a little worse for wear from the night before, and it was really bad. Cardio, on the other hand, is the best hangover cure in existence (especially as it makes you hungry too and wolfing down food makes you feel much better). When I've erged/cycled after a heavy night I feel amazing afterwards, even if there is a point a few minutes in when you feel really dodgy. Push through it and the overall effect of the exercise is to make the hangover better rather than worse.

Latest