The Student Room Group

Class Project: ABORTION

I will be writing a report on abortion and have always looked towards this website in searching for opinions and other concerns. the people here seemed to be informed enough for some type of opinion. I ask for everyone to place a serious question of concern or statement about abortion. If you have a statement then keep it clean. Any absurd or stupid remark will be asked to be removed. I hope this is also in the right section in order to being a thread. I invite all from Earth to share with everyone, write an anonymous post if that is better suiting. If there is a legal issue, please state the country and a legal note if you are aware of such laws imposing abortion or disregarding it. Remember to respect everyone regardless of your attitude or feelings about a comment, since the act or feeling of liking or disliking is not present with respect(therefore show it).

I would like to start things off:
There may be a medical case to which a mother has unfotunately come under the occurance of a baby or embryo being stuck within the fallopian tube. What is a common action, and what other actions may be taken?
[If you are a (medical/hospital)doctor how do you feel about such a situation]

Why does it seem like abortion is always the first thought within media?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Class Project: ABORTION

Didn't know school activities were so full on these days...
Reply 2
An embryo being stuck in the fallopian tube? Er, that's an ectopic pregnancy and needs surgery in most cases...
Reply 3
Atomik
Didn't know school activities were so full on these days...

That's what I was thinking... Surely hiring a professional would be better.

Unless the woman is really strapped for cash...
Reply 4
How is an unborn baby, of it's own DNA and it's own personal thoughts, actions, and senses...considered apart of property or owned by mother?
da_nolo
How is an unborn baby, of it's own DNA and it's own personal thoughts, actions, and senses...considered apart of property or owned by mother?

Wouldn't this be subjective? You're arguing from a humanistic point of view. Couldn't one argue that behavior is influenced by one's environment, which ultimately is decided by the mother? And in any case, I highly doubt a newborn child can fend for itself as even after its born, it continues to develop. It won't reach full maturation until adulthood.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, if you're under 18, you're a minor and your parents will be held responsible for your actions.
Reply 6
Democracy
An embryo being stuck in the fallopian tube? Er, that's an ectopic pregnancy and needs surgery in most cases...

It's called an oviduct nowadays... Step up your game, Democracy! :yep:
Reply 7
Dissey
It's called an oviduct nowadays... Step up your game, Democracy! :yep:

My anatomy textbook begs to differ :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Democracy
My anatomy textbook begs to differ :rolleyes:

:dontknow: I can't believe my biology teacher lied to me.
Reply 9
Aw this thread sounded a lot more fun than it really is... :frown:
I'm guessing this is sociology or re or pshe or something so...

"thou shalt not kill" and "Kill not your offspring for fear of poverty; it is We who provide for them and for you. Surely, killing them is a great sin"

i'm not preaching, but yeh that's what the bible/ qu'ran say!!! it got me an A at GCSE RE :smile:
Reply 11
N.a.a.t.
Tufts
N.a.a.t.

*scratces head

what?
Okay, you'll be needing some knitting needles and a lot of towels :smile:
Reply 14
silverbolt
*scratces head

what?

not

another

abortion

thread
Reply 15
Ang|ophi|e
Wouldn't this be subjective? You're arguing from a humanistic point of view. Couldn't one argue that behavior is influenced by one's environment, which ultimately is decided by the mother? And in any case, I highly doubt a newborn child can fend for itself as even after its born, it continues to develop. It won't reach full maturation until adulthood.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, if you're under 18, you're a minor and your parents will be held responsible for your actions.

true, much of the influence in our lives is enviroment (people included), and I believe that the brain continues to develope within the 30's or late 20's.

And you are right, a child so early in age may not fend for itself, even with it's try. there is actual an acount of a abortions through monitors(one that I know of).

There are senses that the unborn baby may feel or experience, even in the state of an embryo. movements and actions are created by thoughts.

And speaking about the American legal system, within the Constitution (or Bill of Rights, I dont remember) states the following:
"...the right of Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of Happiness..."
taking a look at their order and multiple laws within America...life is number 1. Understood by law, a person has their right to defend themselves, and at some extent their property. however, if a person is to be hurt or killed in such actions, then there is blaim on the person who owns the property and/or the person who hurt/kill the, Im goingt to say criminal. That means there is legal actions taken against the home owner (if it is a house being robbed) if the robber is killed/hurt. Only when there is reasonable actions against the home owner may he/she protect themselves through physical means, such as kicking robber's ass. proves the point Life before Liberty. this connection between those fundamental words are through out the law. yet abortion is the only exceptance.

wierd
Reply 16
Tufts
not

another

abortion

thread

this one is different, rather stating one opinion, it is open to multiple opinions.
da_nolo

This one is different, rather stating one opinion, it is open to multiple opinions.

Uh-huh...

It is technically a parasite as it's living off the mother and if growing in the fallopian tube, then putting the mothers life at risk. It doesn't have to be aborted, does it, in that case? Surgery or well, I don't know what other procedures can try to put that right?
Reply 18
Sprockette
Uh-huh...

It is technically a parasite as it's living off the mother and if growing in the fallopian tube, then putting the mothers life at risk. It doesn't have to be aborted, does it, in that case? Surgery or well, I don't know what other procedures can try to put that right?

funny biology seems to differ...its a human, and humans are not characterized as parasites...unless their living off their parents at age 40. even then thats not the correct scientific explanation. so technically, human infant (embryo or fetus), is not within the parasite family.

and perhaps in recent times, there are technologies to help such prosedures to ensure life to both mother and child.
The first 'procedure' I found was a drug methotrexate used to stop cell growth in cancer, also used for abortion. I didn't think abortion was a procedure really to solve a problem like that, at least not first choice... I'd probably find other procedures if I had the time but I'm on my 6th hour of SPSS and trying not to get distracted :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending