The Student Room Group
should be moved-

ermmmm, its an allied health professional, do some research on NHS careers, it's got a lot of options, eg within hospital, private clinics or even as your own buisness.
Reply 2
there a re too many and not enough jobs from what i heard
Reply 3
tw7055
there a re too many and not enough jobs from what i heard

really??? damn!! ive already applied for the course but i thawt there wernt enough:s-smilie:
gawjus56
really??? damn!! ive already applied for the course but i thawt there wernt enough:s-smilie:

Well thank god you don't need good writing skills :p:

Depends how good you are at it really, where are you studing?
Reply 5
gawjus56

well it depends what you want to do. unless you want to end up doing rehab for the nhs you either need to know someone or be really good. I have been to some awful sports physios, they lost my business straight away.
If you want to do sport physio i would suggest qualifying as a fitness instructor too, my friend did this and it helped him earn more money and build a customer base
Reply 6
xxstace123xx
Well thank god you don't need good writing skills :p:

Depends how good you are at it really, where are you studing?

looks like im not the only one with lack of good writing skills :p:

at the moment im studying Human Biology, Sociology and ICT at A2, did Maths at AS but seriously did not like it....
gawjus56
looks like im not the only one with lack of good writing skills :p:

at the moment im studying Human Biology, Sociology and ICT at A2, did Maths at AS but seriously did not like it....

So you going to uni to do Physiotherapy?
Reply 8
xxstace123xx
So you going to uni to do Physiotherapy?

yep hopefully *fingers crossed*, i sent off my application today, seriously dont want any rejections!! i hate the waiting part appliactions, they're torture!!!:woo: :eek:
gawjus56
yep hopefully *fingers crossed*, i sent off my application today, seriously dont want any rejections!! i hate the waiting part appliactions, they're torture!!!:woo: :eek:

Where have you applied?

:smile:
Reply 10
gawjus56

Hmm, prepare yourself though! Physio is VERY competitive, I don't think many get all their offers...
Reply 11
There has been a jobs crisis, but that seems to be resolving gradually, so by the time you graduate it'll hopefully be sorted. Of this year's graduates from my uni, apparently about 70% of them have found jobs already.

If you do want to work in the private sector, expect to do five years in the NHS first before anywhere'll look at you seriously. There are schemes to help mentor you if you want to set up on your own or with friends from the course.

Nothing against you but you'd be very unusual not to get any rejections - there are way more applicants than places. On the plus side if you do get in there's decent fundign compared to a lot of degrees :smile:
Reply 12
xxstace123xx
Where have you applied?

:smile:

ive applied at oxford brookes, kings college, brunel, hertfordshire and bournemouth :smile:

what about you, are you doing physio aswell??
Reply 13
suek
Hmm, prepare yourself though! Physio is VERY competitive, I don't think many get all their offers...

getting all offers would be a miracle which im not really counting on, but im hoping that atleast i can do the course at a decent university:smile:
Reply 14
iainmacn
There has been a jobs crisis, but that seems to be resolving gradually, so by the time you graduate it'll hopefully be sorted. Of this year's graduates from my uni, apparently about 70% of them have found jobs already.

If you do want to work in the private sector, expect to do five years in the NHS first before anywhere'll look at you seriously. There are schemes to help mentor you if you want to set up on your own or with friends from the course.

Nothing against you but you'd be very unusual not to get any rejections - there are way more applicants than places. On the plus side if you do get in there's decent fundign compared to a lot of degrees :smile:

yeah, ive checked out the funding and it seems pretty good compared to other courses, hopefully the job crisis will be over by the time i graduate:biggrin:
70% is quite impressive:smile: thank anyways :biggrin:
gawjus56
ive applied at oxford brookes, kings college, brunel, hertfordshire and bournemouth :smile:

what about you, are you doing physio aswell??

umm nope lol
Reply 16
I'm at George's, and I think it's one of the highest rates, so perhaps it's unrealistic to expect that for everywhere, but it's certainly higher this year than the previous year, and I think will increase. You may even get asked about it as an interview question.

Think I said something about how I expected it to have improved by the time I graduate, and also how physios actually help reduce length of stay in hospital (patients often aren't sent home until they're considered safe - i.e. can mobilise on their own if they live alone) so a bit of extra physio can save the hozzy quite a lot of money - which is what drives a lot of decisions.

Also worth a look from a lot of angles is

www.csp.org.uk

which is the national body of physios :smile:
Reply 17
iainmacn
I'm at George's, and I think it's one of the highest rates, so perhaps it's unrealistic to expect that for everywhere, but it's certainly higher this year than the previous year, and I think will increase. You may even get asked about it as an interview question.

Think I said something about how I expected it to have improved by the time I graduate, and also how physios actually help reduce length of stay in hospital (patients often aren't sent home until they're considered safe - i.e. can mobilise on their own if they live alone) so a bit of extra physio can save the hozzy quite a lot of money - which is what drives a lot of decisions.

Also worth a look from a lot of angles is

www.csp.org.uk

which is the national body of physios :smile:

thanks i was wondering what they would ask at interviews, atleast i got something that myt come up :smile:
Reply 18
if you dig down a few pages there are threads on what has come up in previous years

I do actually have the George's questions for last year as I helped out with interviews, but it would be wrong of me to post it I think. They do tell you if you're coming to itnerview at George's to think about these topics, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I think some places do group tasks to see how well you fit in with others as well - but have a look for the old thread for details
Reply 19
as for starting pay then that depends on where you work - out of London and in the NHS then yu're looking at around 19.5k, in London and in the NHS then around 24.5k

Latest