The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Is anybody else interested in applying for the Clinical Scientist scheme? haven't seen any other threads about it, and thought it might be nice to share application experiences here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ive havent heard of it whats it about?
I've read about it but I don't know much about it... I was thinking of it when I was considering dropping out of this course but I got through! I might yet after I get outta here. Is that the one where you can be a cardiologist (one example) and work towards a physiology degree?
Reply 3
blondie_
Ive havent heard of it whats it about?

it's a scheme aimed at those that have done a science based degree. You can choose a speciality to work in, such as embryology, genetics, audiology etc and then be pain to train and study to gain a qualification.
Reply 4
NoAngel
it's a scheme aimed at those that have done a science based degree. You can choose a speciality to work in, such as embryology, genetics, audiology etc and then be pain to train and study to gain a qualification.

What qualifications?
Whats the pay like?

So seeing as im doing a biology degree at the end of my degree this is something i could consider?
Reply 5
blondie_
What qualifications?
Whats the pay like?

So seeing as im doing a biology degree at the end of my degree this is something i could consider?

I found all the information I needed here:
https://www.nhsclinicalscientists.info/clrl/recruitment/
i am in the process of applying! hardly any1 knows what the hell a clinical scientist does or is, this thread is proof! I would love you get to talk to some like minded people on this - i'm from NI and there are hardly any clinical scientists to start with, let alone applicants for this years intake for Eng/Wales!

A clinical scientist can make up to £93,000 and this is actually achieveable within normal career development!
Wow this sounds really good. I want to do a Biology Degree when I leave 6th form and then go on to teaching but this would also be an option afterwards?
Reply 8
I'm currently looking at the application forms, interested in the toxicology and immunology and molecular geneticist posts.

Anyone got any input as to what they're looking for in the additional info bit? Just sort of covering letter stuff? I can't find anything on the website about it but maybe I'm being a bit blind!
Reply 9
misanthropic
i am in the process of applying! hardly any1 knows what the hell a clinical scientist does or is, this thread is proof! I would love you get to talk to some like minded people on this - i'm from NI and there are hardly any clinical scientists to start with, let alone applicants for this years intake for Eng/Wales!

A clinical scientist can make up to £93,000 and this is actually achieveable within normal career development!

Its great to finally hear from someone else that's applying! Which speciality are you applying for? I'm currently applying for Audiology, almost finished my application now. Let me know how it's going.
Reply 10
Flicker
I'm currently looking at the application forms, interested in the toxicology and immunology and molecular geneticist posts.

Anyone got any input as to what they're looking for in the additional info bit? Just sort of covering letter stuff? I can't find anything on the website about it but maybe I'm being a bit blind!

I had a few problems with the website and I was sent the paper version of the application instead. On this version it says what they want in the additional info bit, here goes:

"Use this page to give further information in support of your application. Include details of any relevant experience or special skills and training. It will strengthen your application if you give examples of working in a team, problem solving and decision making, communication skills, flexibility and using your own initiative.

You may continue on a separate sheet if necessary but please limit to 2 pages in total."

So really makingsure you include all of the above. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
NoAngel
I had a few problems with the website and I was sent the paper version of the application instead. On this version it says what they want in the additional info bit, here goes:

"Use this page to give further information in support of your application. Include details of any relevant experience or special skills and training. It will strengthen your application if you give examples of working in a team, problem solving and decision making, communication skills, flexibility and using your own initiative.

You may continue on a separate sheet if necessary but please limit to 2 pages in total."

So really makingsure you include all of the above. hope this helps :smile:

fab, thank you!
Reply 12
No problem. Good luck with your application!
hey noangel, sorry for the late reply but this forum site doesn't email to let me know some1's responded!

I just posted my application last night!! How's yours going? Do you know anyone else applying? I guess it's a good thing hardly anyone knows about it - increases our chances of getting a place!

I applied to all the haematology posts! I had a lot of difficulty with the application form due to the lack of help online or from my uni! Do you know anywhere online i can find help with the interviews!?
BabyGirl - a biology degree would be relevant and yes you could apply for a clinical scientist role BUT biology is a very broad topic and a lot of your degree would be useless (plants etc).
If teaching is your first choice - stay the course
But if your genuinely interested in clinical science I would persue a more focused biology degree!
Biomedical science
Anatomy
Physiology
Molecular Medicine
Biochemistry
Genetics
Immunology
Etc....

Edit: it would be hard to choose a specific topic like immunology/genetics this early on to find you do not like it but i would recommend doing biomedical science - it basically covers all the topics and gives you an idea of what you actually like!
Reply 15
Ive applied for two microbiology positions and an immunology one. The website is absolutly rubbish though! I managed to submit the two microbiology applications online, however when ive looked back at the submitted applications, the address ive put down for a previous work experience job has become jumbled up!

Then, when I tried to submit the immunology application, the website kept crashing, so I emailed them, and got a rather terse reply saying it was my fault for pasting text in from Word, and that the site warns about this. What the front page actually says is you cannot paste from Word, but you can, and nowhere does it say this may lead to problems later on! Anyway, have just printed out and am about to post the third application, which I hope arrives by Friday morning!!
you've got me kinda worried....I only sent away one application to the headquarters - as far as I'm lead to believe they see your 4choices, photocopy your application and send them out to the relevant labs for you. Am I wrong??? :confused:
Reply 17
I dont think youre wrong, as on the paper based form there is a box where you fill in the vacancy codes for your 4 chosen positions. The problem I have is that I have 2 online submitted applications, so I only need to use the paper based form for the immunonlogy post.

I hope mine have actually been submitted!! I got a confirmation email from them, but theres so little information on the website its worrying to think there has been a problem at this late stage
the website's terrible, hence me just posting a paper copy! So you mind if I ask, what all qualifications/experience do you have?
Reply 19
I have a 2.1 hons degree in Medical Microbiology and Immunology from Newcastle University that I recieved last summer. Ive done a six week placement in a microbiology lab in a hospital back in summer 2007, and as part of my uni course i did a 3 month virology lab project.

Quick Reply