The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What happens if I fail my first year?

Hi there i'm a current 1st year student at MU and i've been skipping a lot of my stuff since i started - tutorials + lectures - doing linguistics + screen studies, love the screen studies, skip loooads of the linguistics, and I was just wondering what are the repercussions if I fail my first year? Do I get to change my course or do I get kicked out? I need any and all info about what happens if you don't get the grades to continue, please.

thanks
Reply 1
kicked out I think hun or resit and pay another £3000
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
It might vary between schools/faculties - but this is how it worked last year for physics.

To pass the year, you need 40% average for the year, but you're allowed to have two 'near misses' i.e. 30%+ but above 40 in everything else.

If you don't satisfy this, you resit EVERYTHING you got less than 40% in. If you fail the resit, you might be allowed to repeat the year, but equally you might not.
Reply 3
For Maths and Politics at least, they base their decision on whether to let you resit or not on your attendance at seminars, academic record, marks for assessed essays so far in the academic year etc....they told us that you are certainly not entitled to an automatic resit should you fail your exams.
Reply 4
Three of my friends failed last year and all are now resitting. This is for architecture. However it will cost you £3,000+ for fees and another £4,000 or so in living expenses :s
Reply 5
-G-a-v-
It might vary between schools/faculties - but this is how it worked last year for physics.

To pass the year, you need 40% average for the year, but you're allowed to have two 'near misses' i.e. 30%+ but above 40 in everything else.

If you don't satisfy this, you resit EVERYTHING you got less than 40% in. If you fail the resit, you might be allowed to repeat the year, but equally you might not.

Same for computer sci...

even with this in mind, if you dont attend lectures etc and they take note of this, when asking for a repeat year they are more likely to say no...

You got a month and a bit to pull ya finger out and get studyin
Reply 6
In zoology.
Will I still be able to do the ind. placement?
Reply 7
I have 4 products help in graphic design, I handed in two, one I know I will pass the other is yanoe kinda... I have another two go hand in next week, which I will get done to a good standard, before this I have handed in another 3 products is that enough to pass into next year or do I need to pass all of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending