The Student Room Group

Economics offers 2009

Scroll to see replies

NesQuiK.
Could i also have a copy of that please:yep:

why does it matter so much :s-smilie: furthermore why would the guy lie?
EdenProject91
Wtf?! I've just been browsing through this thread and I can't believe some of the grades you ppl have! lol Some have 5/6 A's at AS for subjects like Maths, FM, Economics, Physics, etc. Do you have any spare time?? lol Our skl doesnt even allow u to do more than 4 AS's lol I am just like :confused: I got AABB at AS and predicted AAA (Maths, Geography and Business)

They r applying to some of the same uni's as me (Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Exeter & Birmingham).. so I'm REALLY worried now! But the thing is.. how can Warwick reject ppl with the entry requirements and ppl with even higher grades (Warwick is AAB & B at AS) Ive got offers from Exeter and Birmingham which made me happy though :biggrin: Basicly I'm expecting rejections from Warwick and Durham and probs Bristol too lol :s-smilie: What do you think my chances of getting an offer are then? My ps and reference are decent and gcses were pretty gd - 2A*'s 6 A's and 1 B (not as gd as some of the geeks on here though!) lol cheers for ur time

Nice subtle way to enter the thread - I assume you are joking with your lovely comments though :shifty:

Why are you worried if you already have offers to places you're happy with?
Waheyyyy
Could you PM me a screeny of the email/scan of the letter please? No offence but I find that hard to believe :s-smilie: Cheers :smile:

That's what i thought. I've never considered Nottingham all that great so to consider applicants on a similar basis to that of LSE, I find unlikely.
Reply 1503
My email said :

Thank you for your email which has been passed on to me. I am afraid
that due to a very high number of strong applications we will not be
able to reconsider our decision.

Then some other generic *****...i didn't get the 7A* thing but i didn't ask for a reason, merely to reconsider so i believe him...
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
why does it matter so much :s-smilie: furthermore why would the guy lie?

Not saying he's lying, of course there would be no reason to make something like that up, but I just want to see the way it was worded ie 'Due to so many ppl with outstanding grades' or maybe because of that persons circumstances they looked more at GCSEs in thier case.
GCSEs are my one letdown im my application so this news is making me slightly nervous
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
league tables are based on stupid things it doesn't necessarily mean its better than notts and also when did the 7A* thing apply to notts :s-smilie:

Because Nott thinks it's better than it is, but it's a great idea to attract the AAA's which will boost the standings of the universities to get it more respected. Nott wants to be part of the new Top 5. More applicants = more students = more funding (in the long run) hey? economics students we got to think about this as an economist as well :smile:
Isherwood
Because Nott thinks it's better than it is, but it's a great idea to attract the AAA's which will boost the standings of the universities to get it more respected. Nott wants to be part of the new Top 5. More applicants = more students = more funding (in the long run) hey? economics students we got to think about this as an economist as well :smile:

or maybe notts is better?
EdenProject91
Wtf?! I've just been browsing through this thread and I can't believe some of the grades you ppl have! lol Some have 5/6 A's at AS for subjects like Maths, FM, Economics, Physics, etc. Do you have any spare time?? lol Our skl doesnt even allow u to do more than 4 AS's lol

Im doing 5 (f maths, maths, bio, chem and geog) and I have about half an hour homework a night (so yes, i do have spare time). My schools brilliant, it sets hardly any homework, except geography, which we seem to get about 3 essays a week for, and its by far the easiest a level i do :mad:
dougiemacs
Im doing 5 (f maths, maths, bio, chem and geog) and I have about half an hour homework a night (so yes, i do have spare time). My schools brilliant, it sets hardly any homework, except geography, which we seem to get about 3 essays a week for, and its by far the easiest a level i do :mad:

Same. Although technically my physics teachers do set the work, and I actually spend more time explaining why I don't feel it is worth my time to do the work than i spend doing it. I'd do the coursework obviously, but since the workbooks are so unlike the exams and hence, very pointless, I'd rather spend my time doing more productive work. They told me last year if I don't do the work, I'll fail. I got an A. Economics, I don't get homework technically but we have a weekly past paper to revise for.

When I did 5 subjects I had quite a fair amount of time out of college although no time during college since sports also filled my timetable.
dougiemacs

Lucky you, I go to a poor school, and homework is set on the assumption we are doing 2 A levels, and that is meant to fill the time. I do 3 times that number.
True I did 4 last year and I had more free time than I did at school, i chose not to work in this and so I did alright. Still I agree I could have done even 7 AS levels and done A/B simply because I do have enough frees to fill up my timetable and If i chose to i would have a full timetable, with 7AS and not do any outside work and come out alright but not exceptionally.
Deipnosophist123
Don't worry :smile: I'll see you at Trinity for interview, hopefully, and I'm sure you'll do well there.

Right now I'm really not fancying my chances of getting an interview. :erm:

Oh well, it's out of my hands anyway.:p:
7A*s for Nottingham complete nonsense tbh.
Reply 1513
Yeh as I first thought the 7A* thing was excrement from a male cow, but now we've gone on about it so much it would be quite hard for hookz1 to admit it isn't true :p: Oh well.
YEY!!! My application finally has been processed by UCAS!!!! I was waiting for it for 1 month!!! Everything because of the vice-principle of my college(((((

By the way, I know that last year everyone who applied for Economics to LSE and didn't have Further Maths as a separate subject, but had Statistics was rejected(( I don't have FM as well, do you know smthing about it?
Reply 1515
Oh my days. I don't know lie about things like this. This is the email I got from Jo Morgan who is the admissions lady for the economics department at Nottingham:

Dear Phillip

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry you have been disappointed. Unfortunately, we receive far more AAA applications than we can make offers to. After the AAA predictions, we look at a number of factors, in no particular order. These are the subjects chosen at A level, where we are looking for Maths and Economics, the grades at AS level and the number of A*s at GCSE. To give you some idea of the situation, I am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected. On that basis, it is probably your GCSE performance that has led to the decision. This would probably be the same situation if you were to apply next year. I think you woudl have a good chance of offers from other good universities, but unfortunately we are very competitive and are having to disappoint a lot of people.

I hope this helps in some small way and that you have better luck with your other applications.

Best wishes

Jo

IT CLEARLY SAYS "am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected".

Now do you believe me?
Reply 1516
Clements-
That's what i thought. I've never considered Nottingham all that great so to consider applicants on a similar basis to that of LSE, I find unlikely.

Nottingham was 40% oversubscribed last year for Economics. I reckon they are tightening their belts this time and raising the bar.

Or maybe Nottingham is just the new LSE?
hookz1
Oh my days. I don't know lie about things like this. This is the email I got from Jo Morgan who is the admissions lady for the economics department at Nottingham:

Dear Phillip

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry you have been disappointed. Unfortunately, we receive far more AAA applications than we can make offers to. After the AAA predictions, we look at a number of factors, in no particular order. These are the subjects chosen at A level, where we are looking for Maths and Economics, the grades at AS level and the number of A*s at GCSE. To give you some idea of the situation, I am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected. On that basis, it is probably your GCSE performance that has led to the decision. This would probably be the same situation if you were to apply next year. I think you woudl have a good chance of offers from other good universities, but unfortunately we are very competitive and are having to disappoint a lot of people.

I hope this helps in some small way and that you have better luck with your other applications.

Best wishes

Jo

IT CLEARLY SAYS "am holding a very large pile of forms with 5 or 6 A*s at GCSE, and most of them will have to be rejected".

Now do you believe me?

So have you received a rejection via UCAS?

I'm ******** it now, because I haven't emailed, nor has my ucas changed... :sad:
hookz1
Nottingham was 40% oversubscribed last year for Economics. I reckon they are tightening their belts this time and raising the bar.

Or maybe Nottingham is just the new LSE?

I wouldn't put Nottingham in the same league. I didn't even bother applying for LSE because I knew I'd be automatically rejected.
Reply 1519
well my ucas hasn't changed as my application with nottingham hasn't technically failed ....

as i posted a few days back, they have rejected me for economics, but said they would reconsider me for maths with engineering, maths with chinese studies and maths with computer science (all a bit random). I have two weeks to get back to them. If I don't, then they will put me as unsuccessful on ucas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending