The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thankyou very much!
I remember, that when I had to learn my French to write it out from memory, it was surprising how much I could remember, and actually could write the whole thing out with no mistakes. Although it did take a long time, if I revise daily, this memorisation/recalling information should hopefully get better.
Don't worry!!! GCSEs tend to be much easier than the mocks cos the teachers mark down the mocks to make you work harder for the real things... i was ill and only revised the night before the exams - literally - and still improved on my mocks marks.

If you do start to revise this early, it's important to take into consideration how good your memory is... Some people can retain information for long periods of time, others can't. If you're one of the ones who can't, start revising your favourite subjects now - as information that we find interesting stays in our minds for longer - but leave the harder subjects til a bit closer to the time, i would say
Reply 22
I have a good memory for stuff like this, thanks for your advice, I am glad you did well in yours :smile:
Then I def. wouldn't worry - you'll have no problems mate :smile: good luck and thanks!
NickiM
I have started revising properly, but I don't know how I am ever going to remember everything. I don't know whether anything is sinking in at all. I mean, in 2 months time, am I going to remember that iron is the catalyst in the Haber process or what denitrifying bacteria do? I am organised, have all but 1 revision guide I need, have some practice papers (limited though), and make notes and diagrams, but as nobody as helped me so far in what to expect, I just feel that I am on my own, and I am worried that I am not revising enough. I did 2+ hours yesterday, and have probably done 1.5 at least today. I just don't know how I am going to remember everything...

I remember feeling like that around about this time two years ago! You will be fine though, just make sure you revise regularly, know what you have to learn for which exam etc, all of which you seem to be doing - so you sound to me like you are well on track. Oh, and past papers are good aids, but they aren't everything. I had no idea you could find them online until last year at AS and not one of my subject teachers went through past papers for GCSE, and I did fine in my exams despite not seeing typical question format/learning how to write to time limits etc! :smile: Good luck!
Tip: the revision guides for the sciences are excellent (especially biology).
:smile:
Try not too worry and relax. Try out the bbc's revision pages, they have lots of mini tests you can do. Pin point all your weak areas and ask for additonal help to clear these for you.
Reply 27
Thanks all - I do like doing practice papers as some questions seem to pop up quite often, and with the mark schemes available online, you can see what the examiners really need. I have been going on the BBC Bitesize site, quite a lot. When the post eventually comes (after all Easter festivities), I have got a Maths workbook thing, so that should help. Do GCSEs mean that much?
Reply 28
NickiM
Thanks all - I do like doing practice papers as some questions seem to pop up quite often, and with the mark schemes available online, you can see what the examiners really need. I have been going on the BBC Bitesize site, quite a lot. When the post eventually comes (after all Easter festivities), I have got a Maths workbook thing, so that should help. Do GCSEs mean that much?

When the questions pop up quite often, they usually have the same wording. However, it might be in a different wording this time. Look for the key words in the questions, so you know what you will be writing about.

Looking at mark schemes are a great idea. However, don't rely on them to much as they are not detailed. It just includes key sentences, phrases, and words.

Since you're struggling in GCSE maths, I found a math past papers site for you: http://www.gcsemathspastpapers.com However, it's not AQA. It's Edexcel. I compared the two exam board past papers and they are very similar. If you need more practice go to the site given above.

GCSEs mean that much in some way. It is to gain enry into sixth form. In addition, uni's will look at them when making their offers followed by A-levels. Obviously, they will look at A-levels more though. To distinguish a person with the same A-level grades, they will look at GCSE grades. R

Remember if you apply to uni, you need to have at least 5 GCSEs grade C or above including maths and english.
hey NickiM...trust me, only for eng lit did I do essays like 3 weekls before (but then I got 93% so that explains it all) otherwise at easter i just chilled out and relaxed. I basically started revising 1 week before my exams..and not THAT intesively. Well my poin tis don't worry too much..I mean I know I didn't do that well and could have done much better (5 A*, 4 A, 1B) but I still got offers from top unis so as long as you don't get like 10 Cs it's ok..
Good luck hun :smile:
NickiM
Do GCSEs mean that much?

I think they're a bit more important than I thought when I did them :redface: because apart from getting you into sixth form, universities are beginning to look at them more and more to distinguish between applicants. However, GCSEs will probably be one of the last things they look at, and as long as you get mostly Bs and above, with at least Cs in English and maths, that's what matters.
Reply 31
Trev - I look at mark schemes when I have done a question, not just to see whether it is right or wrong but the bits you need to get the mark. I will have a look at the site, thanks again for it! I think I will get 5 Cs+, but it is just some people say they don't mean anything, which puts you down a bit when you work your socks off for them!

Wild Thing - Your marks were great! The thing is though, in my mocks I got 2 98% and some other high marks like that, and I can't really beat them. I just like to be able to feel secure when I go into an exam that I know the stuff.

Kellywood - I suppose they have to look at GCSE options, especially if a lot of people apply for the course with the same amounts of A Levels!
NickiM
Trev - I look at mark schemes when I have done a question, not just to see whether it is right or wrong but the bits you need to get the mark. I will have a look at the site, thanks again for it! I think I will get 5 Cs+, but it is just some people say they don't mean anything, which puts you down a bit when you work your socks off for them!

Wild Thing - Your marks were great! The thing is though, in my mocks I got 2 98% and some other high marks like that, and I can't really beat them. I just like to be able to feel secure when I go into an exam that I know the stuff.

Kellywood - I suppose they have to look at GCSE options, especially if a lot of people apply for the course with the same amounts of A Levels!

bloooody hell 98%...i used to get like 60 but then i only revised the day before :biggrin:
man if you're getting 98% NOW don't worry...chill out and enjoy the vacations :rolleyes:
Reply 33
Those were in English Lit and History. But there is still a lot I need to remember. Like 1/2 the stuff we did in year 10. I haven't just revised this holiday, I have been shopping and gone round friend's houses. :smile:
Reply 34
NickiM

GCSEs means something, don't worry. :p:

The site I gave you about GCSE maths past papers (not AQA though) is quite good. If you need some help on those papers, just ask me.

As for the mark schemes, just remember those key phrases and stuff for the exam. When that question comes up again, you know you need to write those stuff to get marks.
Reply 35
Ok, thanks for your advice. I am looking at that site now, I might need to check some answers, as I think you need to pay for them!?
Reply 36
NickiM
Ok, thanks for your advice. I am looking at that site now, I might need to check some answers, as I think you need to pay for them!?

Yeah, you need to pay for them. I'll check them for if you need it. I've done those in the past, and I've still got them. :p:
Reply 37
Ok, thankyou!
Reply 38
NickiM
Ok, thankyou!

Welcome.

In the past, I printed all those papers from the website given to you today with answers in them. I go try and find them for you, so I could check them if you need to.
Reply 39
Aww, thanks!! I am just going to do questions like the trig ones just to get more confident on them.

Latest