The Student Room Group

Post Grad Medicine

Its the same old story, i wanted to study medicine but messed up tremendously in my As exams. Over the year i've been clawing my way back to better grades but it wasnt possible for me to apply for medicine like i wanted. Instead i went for Chemistry, which is my favourite subject but i'm not sure i want to do it for a career. I'm hoping that i'll find a career in chemistry that i can enjoy but does anyone know of any universities which offer a post grad medicine degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Technically you'll still be studying an undergraduate programme.

Have a look here:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=77

There are two types of degree: accelerated 4yr programmes and normal length 5 year ones.
Reply 2
There's loads of unis that offer postgrad medicine (but as Democracy said it is technically still classed as an undergrad degree.) Just make sure when you choose your unis that you check your degree is accepted, otherwise you waste a choice.

E.g: Leicester GEP would not accept your degree, as they only accept healthcare graduates like nurses, physios etc. Warwick GEP would accept your degree, as they only accept biological and biomedical sciences graduates (so things like chemistry, biology, physics, anatomy etc.)
Reply 3
Leicester now also accept humanities and art students. Warwick now also accept health degrees =p
Reply 4
nas7232
Leicester now also accept humanities and art students. Warwick now also accept health degrees =p

:p: Fair enough i don't know what they are doing for 2009 entry but that's what it was for 2008 entry when i joined Warwick. When i emailed Leicester they were very strict on it. But then again Warwick has taken on people with both geography and engineering degrees in my cohort. I stand corrected :smile:
Reply 5
I'm gonna do post-grad medicine...
Reply 6
Renal
I'm gonna do post-grad medicine...

Do you play rugby at Barts? Just curious as your signature.
Reply 7
No, he ditched the Barts team and now plays for Queen Mary :cool:
Reply 8

No, I haven't played rugby since secondary school, I play hockey now.
Reply 9
Trying to implie I sleep with my mother? :dry:
Reply 10
Democracy
Trying to implie I sleep with my mother? :dry:
In between me doing it, yes. :wink:
Get off my mother...I've got off yours :dry:

You coming down on Friday for the end of term piss up? I'll ****ing sort you out then.
Reply 12
Democracy
Get off my mother...I've got off yours :dry:

You coming down on Friday for the end of term piss up? I'll ****ing sort you out then.
End of term is next friday for us...

I would, but I'm afraid I'm doing the med school's staff xams party.
Oh well, shame that...I'll just have to "get you" another time :cool:
Reply 14
Democracy
Oh well, shame that...I'll just have to "get you" another time :cool:
You can get me anytime darling :wink:
Reply 15
Renal

No, I haven't played rugby since secondary school, I play hockey now.

Ah, it's just your signature is from the Guinness rugby ad (as you are probably aware, heh). I was about to inundate you with questions about rugby at Barts for a second there :wink:

(I am hoping that text really is originally from the Guinness ad and not some famous piece of poetry which was hijacked to promote Guinness!)
Reply 16
Iscariot
Ah, it's just your signature is from the Guinness rugby ad (as you are probably aware, heh). I was about to inundate you with questions about rugby at Barts for a second there :wink:

(I am hoping that text really is originally from the Guinness ad and not some famous piece of poetry which was hijacked to promote Guinness!)
It is the Guinness ad, apparently it was taken from some coach's motivational speech.

You could ask me about rugby, I know a fair few of the lads, but please don't bore me - ask me about mixed hockey instead.
Is it just me, or do most uni rugby players think they're "all that"? :unsure:
Reply 18
snail_87
There's loads of unis that offer postgrad medicine (but as Democracy said it is technically still classed as an undergrad degree.) Just make sure when you choose your unis that you check your degree is accepted, otherwise you waste a choice.

E.g: Leicester GEP would not accept your degree, as they only accept healthcare graduates like nurses, physios etc. Warwick GEP would accept your degree, as they only accept biological and biomedical sciences graduates (so things like chemistry, biology, physics, anatomy etc.)

Just out of curiosity, what percent of your class is postgrad? In addition to your good standing in your degre (2:1), did you also have alot of hostpial volunteer work or similar to make your application stand out?
Reply 19
Democracy
Is it just me, or do most uni rugby players think they're "all that"? :unsure:
Some of the younger ones.

Latest