The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd do 4 tbh.
Reply 21
lola1993
Not for medicine. :/

wrong, i'm doing medicine
i did 4 AS's and 3 A2's (all the core sciences, and am doing critical thinking AS right now but that doesn't count)
most uni's honestly don't care, ive been shortlisted for oxford interview and already have an offer from the other uni i want to go to. other things count more, such as your PS and UKCAT/BMAT scores...

theres so many myths about what it takes to do medicine, and you certainly don't need 5 AS's - 4 A2's...
Alias__
Also, taking a 5th subject is like you said, going to give you an advantage if you get good grades. I'm thinking of doing a 5th subject for this reason as to get into med school you kind of need all the advantages you can get since there are so many applicants

Hmm I dsagree - I doubt they could presume someone with 5 is better as so many 6th forms/colleges won't allow people to do more than 4, so it would be classed as unfair.

So if you want to do 5, do it for your own liking and only if it won't affect the others.
Most take four. Some five. But six is unnecessary

In the 2nd year, you drop one.
Reply 24
take 3 like a normal person!
Reply 25
do 4! bmat and ukcat would count for more than a 5th a level at some universities. plus if they aren't asking for a 5th whats the point when you can get 4As and still get a good place. unless you drop the 5th after AS but i dont think it would be worth it.
Reply 26
Do as many as you feel you can. If you teach yourself, it will look even more impressive.
Reply 27
Well clearly 5 would be an advantage but you just have guess (and guess well) the amount of work that you can cope with.
Reply 28
MB2Z
Do 20 alevels just so you can cover everything medicine might possibly be related to.

:yep: excellent point
You're better with AAAA then AABBB.
If you can handle five, do it, but to be safe just excel in four!

And I have to say R.S. isn't art based- it's classified as a humanities, and contrary to popular belief it's not considered 'soft'!
&& for medicine, in RS you touch on medical ethics and obviously other ethical theories in general which could work in your favour as a talking point in your p. statement...IF you were looking to do a 5th subject, you can't go wrong with it.
Reply 31
Bubbles*de*Milo
You're better with AAAA then AABBB.

You're better with AAAAA than AAAA.
Only take 5 if you're very confident of getting 4As with high UMS scores in each and that taking on another won't affect that.
What do you think of those choices? I've posted loads of threads on here stressing about choices for next year but I think this may be my final choice. The 4th choice depends on which school I get into as only one of the grammar schools I've applied to offers Philosophy as a subject. So if I don't get into there then I'd have to do Psychology at the other places. Do they show me to be academic but are also varied enough to offer breadth and not limit my choices for the future? Also, do you think I could also do a fifth AS Level subject? If so, what subject would go well with the other choices? Or would the workload get too much?

One of the grammar schools I've applied to say I have to also do an Enrichment Course and I'm interested in Photography. I used to suck at Artsy subjects which is why I didn't choose any for GCSE but I think I'd be OK at Photography as I've learnt quite a few things about Photoshop etc. and everyone tells me I'm really good at it =/ The enrichment course will also offer an AS in Photography in Year 13 should I opt to choose it. What do you reckon?
They're good choices. I personally wouldn't opt for the AS unless you're sure you will have the time for it and it won't affect your other subjects. My friend did AS photography and it took up A LOT of her time.
Reply 35
Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?
inksplodge
They're good choices. I personally wouldn't opt for the AS unless you're sure you will have the time for it and it won't affect your other subjects. My friend did AS photography and it took up A LOT of her time.

Hmm thanks for the heads up.

But do you think the 4 subjects I already have are demanding enough and I won't be able to fit in a 5th subject in Year 12?
CullenLoverX
Hmm thanks for the heads up.

But do you think the 4 subjects I already have are demanding enough and I won't be able to fit in a 5th subject in Year 12?

Erm well I'd say depending on your work ethic you might be able to cope but honestly, don't sacrifice your chances of getting a good grade in the others for the sake of an "enrichment" subject :p: Photography isn't even well respected as a subject (if at all) unlike the other four.

I do both psychology and English lit and they can be pretty demanding come exam time.
Don't even bother doing Photography.
Malsi101
Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?

Nope. That's why I've been stressing out about this for the last couple of months. I want to keep my options open and I've heard from some people that the subjects I've picked do that for me. Admitedly, they're not that well informed on how A Levels, unis etc. work, which is why I'm posting on here=)

But idunno, I think that my choices are keeping my options open as they're varied and offer a wide breadth. And I also thought that at least 3 of the subjects are well liked by universities, including Oxbridge. But again, that's just what I think and I

Latest