The Student Room Group

Tesco's uniform - skirt or trousers?

I start my new job at Tescos this weekend and have to go after school tonight to sort out my uniform. I think I will have a choice of wearing either a skirt or trousers, and I just wondered whether anybody out there had any experience of Tescos uniform and how comfortable / practical it was to wear. I'm not really a trousers person and they don't look very flattering tbh, but on the other hand I don't want to find that I tear my skirt on my first day from climbing up to stack shelves. I think I'm going to be mainly on the checkout anyway, so I'm not sure which would be most comfortable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its only work, so doesnt really matter does what you look like. You need to be comfortable so id say trousers.
Reply 2
Skirt - the girls where I work (Waitrose) all where skirts and they don't find them to be a problem. And yes, trousers don't look very flattering which is something to be aware of considering there will be lots of other boys/girls there your age.
Reply 3
KJ21
Its only work, so doesnt really matter does what you look like. You need to be comfortable so id say trousers.

Oh, believe me it does where I work, considering there is like 50 odd 16-18 year olds on a Saturday!
Reply 4
I haven't worked at Tesco but I've worked at two other supermarkets, and I always found the trousers to be really uncomfortable. The waist band always sat higher than my waist! They are really unflattering too. So I always went for the skirts. I used to spend a small fortune on tights though as I was always snagging them!
Reply 5
Grapevine
Oh, believe me it does where I work, considering there is like 50 odd 16-18 year olds on a Saturday!

You work at Waitrose. Posh there lol. Oh you like to show off your legs do you? Well no harm in that lol
Reply 6
Well, if you want it to be easier for boys to stick their willy in you...go with a skirt. If you're actually there to WORK...then go with trousers and stop fussing over stupid things like these.
Reply 7
KJ21
You work at Waitrose. Posh there lol. Oh you like to show off your legs do you? Well no harm in that lol

No lol. I'm a boy - I don't like to show off my legs!

All I'm saying is, if you put 50 or so teenagers together most likely the girls will want to look fairly "good" no matter how "shallow" that is with it being at work and all.
Reply 8
Supermarket uniform trousers often tend to be funny shapes. High waist, big baggy bum on them and straight legs. (Or at least thats what I have seen/found). So a skirt is probably more likely to fit better. Maybe have a quick look at tesco and see what the skirt and trousers look like.
Reply 9
Grapevine
No lol. I'm a boy - I don't like to show off my legs!

All I'm saying is, if you put 50 or so teenagers together most likely the girls will want to look fairly "good" no matter how "shallow" that is with it being at work and all.

Im sure have have nice legs (Joke) lol
Reply 10
kookabura
Supermarket uniform trousers often tend to be funny shapes. High waist, big baggy bum on them and straight legs. (Or at least thats what I have seen/found). So a skirt is probably more likely to fit better. Maybe have a quick look at tesco and see what the skirt and trousers look like.

I have looked and you're right, the trousers do look fairly bad. I wasn't sure with the skirt whether it'd be warm enough, and whether it's going to crease really badly if I'm sat down all day and look a right mess when I stand up.
Reply 11
Go for the trousers, without a doubt. At my Tesco, pretty much anyone who wears a skirt is either a manager or wants to be one, and look like an idiot :biggrin:

Personally, if I were you, go for the smart trousers (the casual are horrible), 2x long sleeve fleeces (the blue ones look much better btw) and your choice of smart or casual shirts. (:
Reply 12
Charlurr
Go for the trousers, without a doubt. At my Tesco, pretty much anyone who wears a skirt is either a manager or wants to be one, and look like an idiot :biggrin:

Personally, if I were you, go for the smart trousers (the casual are horrible), 2x long sleeve fleeces (the blue ones look much better btw) and your choice of smart or casual shirts. (:

What's the difference between the smart and the casual shirts?
Reply 13
The smart shirts are just normal shirts, red or blue (im pressuming theyll have the new uniform everywhere by now.. "/ )

The casual shirts are kinda like polo-neck material and looking.
Reply 14
I haven't seen the new uniform. Is it any better than the old one?
Reply 15
A lot better. Instead of the checked blue shirts, theyre either plain blue or plain red, as with the fleeces.

If they still have the old uniform, you just get a choice between long and short sleeve shirts. (:
Reply 16
saranotsarah
I start my new job at Tescos this weekend and have to go after school tonight to sort out my uniform. I think I will have a choice of wearing either a skirt or trousers, and I just wondered whether anybody out there had any experience of Tescos uniform and how comfortable / practical it was to wear. I'm not really a trousers person and they don't look very flattering tbh, but on the other hand I don't want to find that I tear my skirt on my first day from climbing up to stack shelves. I think I'm going to be mainly on the checkout anyway, so I'm not sure which would be most comfortable?

id say its more practical to wear trousers!
Reply 17
Charlurr
A lot better. Instead of the checked blue shirts, theyre either plain blue or plain red, as with the fleeces.

If they still have the old uniform, you just get a choice between long and short sleeve shirts. (:

What are the new skirts and trousers like?
Most of the checkout girls wear skirts, but it really is personal preference. If you're on shop floor then obviously it would be common sense to wear trousers.

I don't think women get the choice between long and short sleeves, if you're on the old uniform. Certainly, I was never offered long sleeves and I've never seen any woman wearing them at my store.
Reply 19
Joanna May
Most of the checkout girls wear skirts, but it really is personal preference. If you're on shop floor then obviously it would be common sense to wear trousers.

I don't think women get the choice between long and short sleeves, if you're on the old uniform. Certainly, I was never offered long sleeves and I've never seen any woman wearing them at my store.

I'm going to be on the checkouts mostly. Do the skirts crease really badly?

Quick Reply

Latest