The Student Room Group
Reply 2
does anyone know what the test is to identify a reducing suger
Reducing sugars are sugars that can donate electrons to (or reduce) another chemical.

Test for reducing sugars is the Benedict's test. When sugar is heated with the Benedicts reagent (alkaline solution of copper [II] sulfate) it forms an insoluble red precipitate of copper oxide.

Do you need to know how to carry the test out?
Reply 4
yep would like to know how to carry it out...

im retaking transport for ocr and have a prectical it the old spec. It might cum up.
Reply 5
I thought the benidicts test is for protiens
JUSTME1
yep would like to know how to carry it out...

im retaking transport for ocr and have a prectical it the old spec. It might cum up.

Add 2cm cubed the food sample (liquid form) to 2cm cubed of Benedict's reagent. Heat the mixture in a water bath (boiling) for five minutes.

It will form an insoluble red precipitate of copper (II) oxide.
JUSTME1
I thought the benidicts test is for protiens

No that's the Biuret test.
Reply 8
bieurt test? what is that how is it carried out

thanks
JUSTME1
bieurt test? what is that how is it carried out

thanks

The buiret test is the test for proteins.

Put a sample in a test tube, add benedicts reagent (I think thats the only level of detail you need to know) and if the solution turns purple, it indicates the presence of peptide bonds and therefore proteins. If the solution remains blue (because of the copper sulphate in buiret reagent) then proteins are not present.
bob9001
The buiret test is the test for proteins.

Put a sample in a test tube, add benedicts reagent (I think thats the only level of detail you need to know) and if the solution turns purple, it indicates the presence of peptide bonds and therefore proteins. If the solution remains blue (because of the copper sulphate in benedicts reagent) then proteins are not present.

Careful! Benedicts is not for proteins. Biuret is for proteins.
Revd. Mike
Careful! Benedicts is not for proteins. Biuret is for proteins.

Woops!

My mistake! I'll just edit that! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending