The Student Room Group
your insurance, is your back up choice to your firm choice,just in case you don't get the grades in your firm choice.if that makes sense.
what happens if you only want to go to one uni, but you've applied to the regular 5? do you still have to pick an insurance?
So whatever course you most want to study put as your firm and then put your next favourite choice as your insurance. it's there as a back up in case you don't get the grades to get into your firm choice so it's suggested that the grade requirements for the insurance are lower.
somnambulistic grace
what happens if you only want to go to one uni, but you've applied to the regular 5? do you still have to pick an insurance?

Just put it as your firm choice and then choose a back up out of the remaining four. You might as well as it costs nothing and gives you something to fall back on in the event something with your exams goes wrong. You can decline it and not put an insurance but there's little point to doing that.
DaveParlour
Just put it as your firm choice and then choose a back up out of the remaining four. You might as well as it costs nothing and gives you something to fall back on in the event something with your exams goes wrong. You can decline it and not put an insurance but there's little point to doing that.

I disagree. The OP made it clear that he is only interested in one of his offers. If he selects an insurance choice (that he wouldn't ever go to) he will cause problems for himself should he fail to get into his firm as he will be delayed in entering clearing (while he extricates himself from his insurance), at a time when time is of the essence.

Don't accept an offer that you know you would never take up. But, equally, don't make these decisions until you have thought them through very carefully.
Good bloke
I disagree. The OP made it clear that he is only interested in one of his offers. If he selects an insurance choice (that he wouldn't ever go to) he will cause problems for himself should he fail to get into his firm as he will be delayed in entering clearing (while he extricates himself from his insurance), at a time when time is of the essence.

Don't accept an offer that you know you would never take up. But, equally, don't make these decisions until you have thought them through very carefully.

I thought about that but assumed that no Uni course would have been available to the OP during clearing that he would have liked to go to. By the sounds of it this course is the only one he wants to be on and i get the impression that he would reapply for 2010 entry should he not meet the grades this time. I think putting an insurance down that he wouldn't mind going to gives him the option, should he fail to meet the grades, of reapplying next year or deciding that a gap year isn't really worth it. I think that if there was even a close substitute to his main choice it would have been one of his options, which wouldn't have been bettered during clearing.

Although OP, if there really is NO other substitute and you know for certain you would reapply next year then don't bother with the insurance as it will save you having to decline it come August.

Latest

Trending

Trending