The Student Room Group

How quickly can I get a Passport?!?

What's the quickest route to getting a passport, I've read several confusing methods, could someone just lay it out in steps for me?

And a total if I need to any extra money, I lost mine and the police won't give it back due to there being some dumb law about it, so it's a replacement passport which I hear doesn't take long.

any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
If you can get to Peterborough or Liverpool (i think) then they can do it in a day for about £100 (although that was a couple of years ago so might be more by now.)

Otherwise it costs £70 and takes 2-3 weeks in my experience.
Reply 2
My dad got his done from durham for about £97 last year.
Reply 3
You can get an emergency one of the same day but you have to pay more for it, £100 ish I think though not completely sure
Reply 4
Hmmm, yea I've heard you can travel to one of the office places.

Is there a way of getting it in 1 week or under by sending it through post, I hear some post offices send it straight away if you pay extra to get it checked.

But then I have no idea how long the actual passport office take to deliver it. :frown: Maybe I'll travel some place for a day could turn out fun.
Reply 5
Fastest possible time of getting a new passport is 7 days.
Passport office in London is probably the most convenient for you, looking at your location
Reply 7
Durham or Liverpool (I'm not aware of any more, but there could be) For like an emergency one, which will cost more than a standard passport application, as everyone has said at around £100.
Reply 8
Akkuz

That's not right. My mum and brother got them on the same day (they did have to actually go to the passport office in London though).

OP, are you travelling soon? If so, you'll probably have to actually go to a passport office..

Urgent applications: http://ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-urgent.asp
Same seems to apply if you are applying to (urgently) replace a lost/damaged passport: http://ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-replacing-urgent.asp
snail_87
If you can get to Peterborough or Liverpool (i think) then they can do it in a day for about £100 (although that was a couple of years ago so might be more by now.)

Otherwise it costs £70 and takes 2-3 weeks in my experience.

You can still get it in 1 day for £100. My friends passport got nicked while he was in Romania :borat:. Went to the embassy got it done in one day. :yep:
Cupid Stunt
I lost mine and the police won't give it back due to there being some dumb law about it, so it's a replacement passport which I hear doesn't take long.

Have you got the forms required yet, OP?
Reply 11
Jabbamuffin
Have you got the forms required yet, OP?

My mums in town just picking them up as I type. Sooo, looks like tomorrow I'll be able to get it sent off. I hear that you can get it in 7 days (like someone stated) by posting it.

Can anyone clarify this?

I'd rather save £20-£30 to get it in 7 days because I don't need it THAT urgent to pay for the same day thingy.
Reply 12
I sent mine off on the 2nd Jan, and the new one got delivered today :smile: That's normal processing as well!
Reply 13
becky.fm
I sent mine off on the 2nd Jan, and the new one got delivered today :smile: That's normal processing as well!

Oh awesome, that's good to hear! Think I'll take the normal route but pay the extra to get it checked and sent off fast (I hear my post office do that for extra fee's).

Hopefully it won't take longer than 7 days.
I think that it's 2 weeks ish for a standard replacement/renewal by post.

I went into Birmingham last Friday to renew (2nd Jan), and used the Post Office's checking service. It cost an extra £8, however my passport arrived this morning.

Your best bet is to phone - 08750 240 8090 for confirmation of how long it will take. Be careful though, it's 8p a minute if you do ring.
Akkuz

yeah, just to reiterate this is wrong. i got my last passport in 4 hours, queuing at petty france from 6am, i had my passport by 10am.
Reply 16
make an appointment at a passport office, might cost a bit more but to be fair passports cost near enough £100 as it is, and they do it very quickly

and theres loads of them around the uk, my boyfriend does the security for them all
in a day if you go to the passport office in the morning and queue at 9am and have adequate documents and photo with you and a able to complete the form
i swear i paid nearer 140 to get mine done in a day...
and they made me get a new photo :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending