The Student Room Group

Police Work Experience

Wasn't show where to put this thread... so i put it here :smile:

Okay I've been thinking recently increasingly about joining the police maybe, or doing something similar as a profession. I would be really interested in the psychological side, like helping victims, basically just talking to people, interviewing etc; :smile:

Anyway, is police work experience worth it? Do they actually let you do anything, eg at doctor's surgeries u do very little, meanwhile at schools, you can lots of stuff. And furthermore do they let you at 17? Anyone had work experience at the police before; anyone know any good departments to go for, similar professions, or maybe an are of the police force they're likely to let me go with?
Reply 1
Why don't you look into becoming a Special Constable?
Reply 2
hazzypants

Okay I've been thinking recently increasingly about joining the police maybe, or doing something similar as a profession. I would be really interested in the psychological side, like helping victims, basically just talking to people, interviewing etc; :smile:

Me too :biggrin: but i've decided to study Criminology at Uni and then during my studying perhaps volunteer at a police station.
Reply 3
squeal
Why don't you look into becoming a Special Constable?

Because they're not old enough?
Reply 4
SillyFencer
Because they're not old enough?

That's true. I didn't read that far into the thread. 1 year isn't a long time to wait though and you can apply a few months in advance as by the time you have been through the recruitment process and start training you would be 18.

Sheep88 is old enough though.
Reply 5
squeal
That's true. I didn't read that far into the thread. 1 year isn't a long time to wait though and you can apply a few months in advance as by the time you have been through the recruitment process and start training you would be 18.

Sheep88 is old enough though.

I don't want to apply, just have a a few days work experience, just for the fun of it to see how it is.
Reply 6
What do you expect to do though? You can ask to spend a night with a Regular in a patrol car to get an insight into the role of a PC first hand, I think some forces allow that. Best thing to do is go to your local station and ask them if there is anything they could offer to give you the experience you are looking for.
I know of someone who is a police officer who I used to go school with, they tried to find a work exp placement for a month with the Met. However they said no!, he also asked Kent police force and they said yes! He worked in the county HQ working in various departments (mainly filing and admin work, stock checks on equipment etc)...but never on the streets due to his own safety and insurance.

I would recommend writing a letter or even better try and get a name of someone who works within the police force that you may know?
Reply 8
Different forces organise different things. PHONE as many forces as is reasonable for you to travel to for work experience. I'm enlisted on a week's course for 15-16 year olds, despite the fact that I'm 18 and have been squeezed in last minute. If you can get hold of any officers who you know, it can be really useful to have someone who' working to find stuff for you. You have to be 18 and a half to be a regular or special, but most forces hae no official minimum age for their PCSOs. There was an artical about 2 sixteen year olds becoming PCSOs a while back. :smile:
Contact your local police station and ask if they are offering work experience. I am in year 10 and recently asked. I had the options of K9 unit, police crime scene camera man, etc. Just simple but fun things to do. I reccomend giving them a call and asking.
Reply 10
Hi firstly I know this post was 9 years ago now but this may help others in the future...I have been thinking about joining the police for sometime, so I applied to do work experience...I applied for Sussex and was actually allowed to do a variety of different things with the unit I was with...I was allowed out with response, visited SOCO, went out with the neighbourhood team and visited custody...it was a thoroughly enjoyable week and I would recommend it to anyone thinking about going the police to get an insight into what you may be getting into and the variety of different roles that may be achievable😊👌🏻🚔
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jackg653
How long before your work experience did you apply, as I'm thinking of doing the same?

Police cadets are usually a good way in
Reply 12
Hi I had to apply by about November and I wanted to do it in July, for vetting etc. The other beneficial thing I did (not sure if your local force do it, but worth asking) was the youth mentoring scheme, in my area I believe they took about 20 people, including people who want to join the police and people who need guidance from them, me being the one who wants to join!!! For me this meant having some guidance on all the options available for me and going through them with a mentor, talking about unis etc. and routes into the police...this also allowed me to go on 6 hour shifts with response, allowing me to see the reality of policing, and also visiting police HQ in my area...this was for 6 months and was a thoroughly enjoyable experience
Reply 13
Original post by Obliviously
Police cadets are usually a good way in

Hi I was going to join cadets but didn’t really know anything about them until I was 16...unfortunately the waiting list was full and they only take people before they’re 17th birthday so by the applications opened again I could no longer apply anyway!!! So would recommend getting in early if u would like to join police cadets!!!
Reply 14
Original post by jackg653
How long before your work experience did you apply, as I'm thinking of doing the same?

See my post below
Hello i am in year 10 and wanting to do work experience as a police officer who should i contact?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Charleyquantrill
Hello i am in year 10 and wanting to do work experience as a police officer who should i contact?

Hi...you could try contacting your local force or try looking on your county website e.g. for me Sussex Police then go to jobs and volunteering and look for work experience all you need to know and who to contact should be on there...hope that helps🚔👍🏻😊
(edited 4 years ago)
How did u ask them?
Reply 18
Original post by Keiths balls
How did u ask them?

I didn’t directly ask them, I found the work experience info on the county force website and had to do everything via school as you are more likely to get on. But all the info should be on their website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending