The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not really, I bet 90% of the Irish population would struggle to give you a good run through of their history.
Reply 2
I'm from NI, but when I worked in Dublin the general attitude was that no-one could give a flying **** about the British or Northern Ireland, and would rather not be in any way invovled as they're doing very well for themselves without all that ********.
Reply 3
rajandkwameali
When the Republic of Ireland was part of the UK, the British government didn't treat it well.

That's not remotely true. Still, there is a certain level of anti-Britishness in some elements of Irish society, but this has probably improved massively in recent times.
Reply 4
L i b
That's not remotely true.

My history's not that good, but we didn't we exacerbate the potato famine and then feed the Irish on horsefeed? (low quality oats)
Reply 5
I do know the Irish don't like England from experience. I think Scotland and wales are more unique kinda like Ireland but not ENgland :smile:
Reply 6
Apagg
My history's not that good, but we didn't we exacerbate the potato famine and then feed the Irish on horsefeed? (low quality oats)

I don't believe we did though (although Irish nationalists will tell you otherwise).

We certainly didn't provide the assistance that nowadays would be expected, however this was exactly what happened during hard times on the British mainland - we assumed that by providing free food, what remained of the Irish economy would collapse. This was, of course, only after the worst parts of the famine had already occurred: the presumption being the potato blight would go away rather quicker than it did.

Which is why public works providing a wage for the locals to buy food were seen to be the answer; although another problem arose for the long-term future of Ireland in that huge numbers of men were then relying on the government for employment.

It was a strange economic tightrope, and generally the presumption always seemed to be that the government should not intervene too much for fear of prolonging the issue and creating even more problems. That said, there were actions of the British government which were bloody incompetent - almost entirely when Peel was succeeded by Lord Russell as Prime Minister. Which just goes to prove: Liberals blow goats.

It also exposes the rather daft idea of blaming anything on 'the British' - the Tories were critical of what the Liberals were doing, and many decent people in this country (and indeed, across Europe and the Empire) raised money in support of the Irish.
Reply 7
Although I am a vaguely unionist sort of person, I can say that I do not like most english people. But only because of their accents. If they wrote things down instead of speaking, I might like them better.

Nah, the Irish, as in the Republic of Irish don't really care as Irish history is so ridiculously Revisionist. Up in the noble province of Norn Iron, however, vast swathes of the population will drag up the most obscure pieces of history to illustrate the unjustice they recieved from (depending on politicial beliefs/geography) a) The Irish or b) The English.

In short; normal people don't care until you ask them about it or make hideously generalised statements, at which stage they become raging historians. RAGING. Just imagine that. I don't think you can, can you?
There was an old story about whenever New Labour came into power they put up a portrait of Cromwell in the FCO and their first meeting was with the Irish... Which didn't go down too well. I think the idea that most in Ireland couldn't give a damn, though some, especially with ancestoral links to the war of independence may perhaps hold a grudge. In NI there is ill feeling however, many in the Nationalist community still feel strongly about internment, bloody Sunday, and the system of government from the 20s - 1972.
Whatever way you want to look at it, there are more important things for people in both countries to be worrying about, especially at the moment.
Reply 9
Couldn't give a **** myself. I dont usually get on well with English people because their ignorance annoys me when it comes to the subject of Ireland, recent or past history. In N Ireland anyway most people aren't massive fans of the English but I think its more a cultural than historical reasons these days (for the vast proportion anyway)
L i b
That's not remotely true.

800 years of opression! Are you for real? Here's a couple of counter examples, the famine (corn laws etc). The plantations where they took our land and gave it to English people and my own personal favourite, beating the Irish language out of school children.

L i b
Still, there is a certain level of anti-Britishness in some elements of Irish society, but this has probably improved massively in recent times.

Yeah you're right about that.

To answer the OP, yeah we hate the British but no we dont really. There are certain elements that are very anti British, but for the most part people don't care really. We just like to shout things like 800 years of opression, which is the sort of thing the Irish contingent shouts at International Debating Competitions (especially Oxford and Cambridge) but for the most part it's done in good spirits and in jest. And of course we all love rebel songs.

Do Irish people dislike British people because of this? No. Definitely not. We've no problem with British people.

We do(for the most part) have a problem with what the British establishment has done in the past. But for the most part we've moved on and don't hold grudges.
potteralan
I dont usually get on well with English people because their ignorance annoys me when it comes to the subject of Ireland, recent or past history.

I've had english people tell me that Ireland is part of england. I was not impressed.
I am from Northern Ireland and I am studying History & Politics.
It's not that the Irish hate the British, they don't have any particular opinion. If i am being honest the South of Ireland or the republic is a very welcoming state with little or no resentment, apart from the odd pass remark.
Living in Northern Ireland however is a different story, as there is still a devide between the Unionist and Nationlist communitys who would have different opinions of the British.
Anything to do with the Famine however, is most definitly in the past!
Reply 13
roxy potter
I've had english people tell me that Ireland is part of england. I was not impressed.

Yes and Belfast is in Wales and the old favourite when I started Uni was "How do you find using sterling, now you're not using euros like in Belfast."

Some people don't have a clue but I've set out to educate them :smile:
RangerX
I do know the Irish don't like England from experience. I think Scotland and wales are more unique kinda like Ireland but not ENgland :smile:

Which is perhaps a bit ironic considering the history of Ireland. There will be bad feelings between the two but as time goes on people care less. It's not like we hate the Spanish still is it?
roxy potter

We do(for the most part) have a problem with what the British establishment has done in the past. But for the most part we've moved on and don't hold grudges.

This.
Reply 16
The Irish are very proud of their history/independence (and rightly so), a trip to the likes of killmainham gaol (apology about spelling, couldn't be bothered to look it up) or Dublin castle will tell you that, I think they may resent the Britain of then and especially their actions - the british army weren't particularly nice, although that's all a past generations war, they are very friendly people and I'd be very surprised at any hard feeling towards Britain/the British of today.
Reply 17
Here's a question why do some English still hold grudges towards Germany?

A lot of Irish died at the Somme but you don't hear Irish moaning about Germans still. Maybe we are more forgiving than English?

Im not suggesting every english person hates the germans but there is that lingering feeling
You cannot say country A hates or loves or fears country B. You just can't. The inhabitants of countries are not homogeneous group-thinks.
Reply 19
numb3rb0y
You cannot say country A hates or loves or fears country B. You just can't. The inhabitants of countries are not homogeneous group-thinks.

Don't think the OP was suggesting this. Just asking if there is that general sense deep down amongst a proportion of the population.

Are all Americans really fat btw?

Latest

Trending

Trending