The Student Room Group

History or Geography A-level?!

Ive got quite a dilemma on my hands atm...

basically, i have to pick my A-level choices for next year, and i have a basic idea of what i want to do in uni, which is either Economics or Business Management (or around that area)

and my definete choices atm are:

Maths (Option mod:s-smilie:tatistics)
Economics

and i have to pick 2 more subjects (aswell as taking compulsory Critical Thinking :shifty: )

So my question is;

should i take History or Geography for A-level?

Some info:
-i dont do History at GCSE, but i DO Geography at GCSE
-main reason i want to choose one of these is because i think its good to have an essay-based subject to help me in the future

:smile:

any other questions, just ask

and thanks for any advice =]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take History if you do pursue your aspirations for an Economics degree at university.
Reply 2
Audax
Take History if you do pursue your aspirations for an Economics degree at university.

So ive heard :]

Do you by any chance do history?.... or did history? :smile:
Reply 3
Geography isn't really an essay based subject, plus History is really interesting. It doesn't really matter if you haven't taken it at GCSE, lots of people do the A level without it.
Do geography, AS is pretty easy to handle just need to learn case studies etc, plus having the GCSE already gives you a massive step into geography, rather than douing history without doing it at GCSE. Also geography have more trips =]
History
Reply 6
moody28028
Geography isn't really an essay based subject, plus History is really interesting. It doesn't really matter if you haven't taken it at GCSE, lots of people do the A level without it.

Thanks for the advice =]

Thy-Lanky-One
Do geography, AS is pretty easy to handle just need to learn case studies etc, plus having the GCSE already gives you a massive step into geography, rather than douing history without doing it at GCSE. Also geography have more trips =]

ah yeah, that was my main advantage for geography

although i heard it has long pieces of cw...which isnt too my advantage tbh

then again, i tihnk history require a lot of essay assignments

arghh the confusion :s-smilie:
Reply 7
geminibubblegum
History

Your younger than me, so how would you know what AS is like? lol

...thanks for the advice anyways? (Y)
Reply 8
Unknown-User
Ive got quite a dilemma on my hands atm...

basically, i have to pick my A-level choices for next year, and i have a basic idea of what i want to do in uni, which is either Economics or Business Management (or around that area)

and my definete choices atm are:

Maths (Option mod:s-smilie:tatistics)
Economics

and i have to pick 2 more subjects (aswell as taking compulsory Critical Thinking :shifty: )

So my question is;

should i take History or Geography for A-level?

Some info:
-i dont do History at GCSE, but i DO Geography at GCSE
-main reason i want to choose one of these is because i think its good to have an essay-based subject to help me in the future

:smile:

any other questions, just ask

and thanks for any advice =]

HISTORY!

It's fantastic, and the exams are easier... you learn one collective topic rather than all these different bits.

I didnt do it at GCSE, but picked it up, it's really fun and easy. :smile::smile:
Reply 9
I am in no way biased...but History is THE best subject in the world :wink:
on a serious note, history would probably be better with economics... we have quite a few in our class that didn't do GCSE and they got As last year :smile: and i have also heard from people who do do geography that it the coursework is a killer... history is a lot more analytical and more essays.mmmm :smile:
Reply 10
I am in no way biased...but History is THE best subject in the world :wink:
on a serious note, history would probably be better with economics... we have quite a few in our class that didn't do GCSE and they got As last year :smile: and i have also heard from people who do do geography that it the coursework is a killer... history is a lot more analytical and more essays.mmmm :smile:
Reply 11
From what I have heard, history is harder than geography although there isn't much difference..... but history is definitely more interesting :biggrin:
Reply 12
I would say history is harder but the fact that you have not done it at GCSE shouldn't make a differnce tbh. Althought geography is easier it's not really an essay subject so maybe history would be the better option for you.
History and Economics go really well together. I do both and I love them.
take history, purely because everyone secretly knows its better than geography. Although I did enjoy colouring in maps.

:p:
Reply 15
Looks like history is quite an interesting subject. xD

Thanks for the advice everyone,

and keep it coming :biggrin:
Reply 16
tropical-twist3
take history, purely because everyone secretly knows its better than geography. Although I did enjoy colouring in maps.

:p:

LOL

have to agree with you on that one...
I'm applying for business management and I do geography A level and did it at GCSE .T ake geography its much better than history
im doing history and its good unless you get one of the duff modules.... still in my opinion better than geography....not a single person in my school choose geography a level
Geography isn;t essay based.

Latest