The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

First few posts last updated in summer 2011. Please refer to later posts for more recent/up to date information.

There are quite a few people asking about pictures of rooms and the like. I thought it might be helpful if we put up a list of photographs that can then be accessed more easily. I'll keep this post updated with any links/pictures you post.

On Campus

Bowland
Standard:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite: [No pictures yet]

Cartmel
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)

County
Standard:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (b) [Main]
Bathroom (b) [Main]
Bathroom (b) [Main]
Superior Standard:
Superior Standard Video
Superior Standard Bedroom (a)
Communal Area (a)
Communal Area (a)
Communal Area (a)
Bathroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Townhouse:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)

Grizedale
Standard: [No pictures yet]
Townhouse: [No pictures yet]
Ensuite:
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Kitchen (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite (a)
Ensuite (a)

Furness
Standard:
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Bedroom (a)
Pre-Refurb Kitchen (a)
Pre-Refurb Kitchen (a)
Pre-Refurb Kitchen (a)
Pre-Refurb Kitchen (a)
Post-Refurb Bedroom (b) [shared by a friend of mine]
Post-Refurb Bedroom (b) [shared by a friend of mine]
Post-Refurb Kitchen (b) [shared by a friend of mine]

Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bathroom (a)

Fylde
Ensuite:
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Bedroom (a)
Ensuite (a)
Ensuite (a)
Bedroom (b)
Bedroom (b)
Bedroom (b)
Ensuite (b)
Ensuite (b)

Lonsdale

Pendle
Standard: [No pictures yet]

To note, much of the superior ensuite accommodation is of the same design. For example, Furness and Fylde ensuite were built at the same time, with very similar layouts. The same applies to Lonsdale, Cartmel and Pendle ensuite rooms.

The furniture currently in Pendle and Furness standard rooms is the same, although Furness standard accommodation is due to be refurbished in summer 2011.

Grizedale and County townhouses are also of the same design.

Off Campus
If you are looking for off campus accommodation, there are a range of sites you can try. If you are in the area, you can also pop into the Yellow Door office [opposite Booths, Hala - half way between Lancaster and campus] or to the LUSU Living office in the Hub on campus. :smile:

City Block - Private halls in the city centre [very central], where all rooms are ensuite and inclusive of bills. :smile:
Cable Street - Private halls arranged into flats near Sainsbury's and the bus station. More info about the latter as the website is being redone.

For student houses, you could try Student Lets.
Also private company Yellow Door lets.
LUSU Living, which lists both houses of their own and those of recommended landlords.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got an email the other day from Grizedale about going to pick the room I want - and I also got an email from them during the holidays too saying that I was pretty much guaranteed a room on campus.

It's different for different colleges, but I think you'll probably hear something pretty soon. If you don't hear anything before February, then it would probably be a good idea to contact your college and just ask them about it.

I'm not sure how Furness go about doing things, but with Grizedale we actually get to pick the room we want to stay in next year (as long as it's available). My friend also got to pick his room last year too and he is in Pendle. So maybe Furness will do the same sort of thing.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I'd love to pick my room. What a great idea. Hopefully Furness will do it too. :smile:
Got something from Alison Platt (Bowland) saying that I had a room, but it had not been allocated yet... bear in mind that this is the frist year they have used this system, last year we all queued up and then picked the rooms we wanted.
Reply 4
I've not had owt back about it, but I was told that there's a bit of a problem in regards to accommodation and there's a good chance we might not get a room! Dunno if it's just County that has this problem or uni-wide. Any ideas? I can't be arsed with living off campus, I don't go to enough lectures now!
Reply 5
Dooze
I've not had owt back about it, but I was told that there's a bit of a problem in regards to accommodation and there's a good chance we might not get a room! Dunno if it's just County that has this problem or uni-wide. Any ideas? I can't be arsed with living off campus, I don't go to enough lectures now!

Grizedale had the same problem for 2nd years. My mate's flat were the only ones that got allocated rooms (to the best of their knowledge).
Reply 6
A friend of mine saw the Furness residence officer yesterday and he said that there are some major problems in some of the other colleges (he named Grizedale) as they have such a huge waiting list.

I suppose you could wait and see if you will get a room (as the residence guy said there are always quite a few up decide against campus accommodation etc) whilst looking for other options. Maybe a room/house in Galgate would do as that isn't particularly far - just a bit further than Cartmel. Or you could look up the main road towards Lancaster etc. Hopefully they should announce soon whose has got what for all of us. :smile:
Galgate might actually be more annoying than you think- a good friend of mine lives there, and whilst she loves it, bear in mind that you will have to walk/cycle into uni, buses to there arent that great. She gets the womens bus back at night, since they will go anywhere, and she doesn't want to walk back on her own in the dark.
Reply 8
Teao the Cat
Galgate might actually be more annoying than you think- a good friend of mine lives there, and whilst she loves it, bear in mind that you will have to walk/cycle into uni, buses to there arent that great. She gets the womens bus back at night, since they will go anywhere, and she doesn't want to walk back on her own in the dark.

I suppose. I just seems like such a nice place and a lovely walk there and back. It was dark when I walked there on Thursday morning but I can see why it is less desirable at night. :smile:
Reply 9
Hey im new to all this and im incredibly sorry if this has already been asked.

Im hopefully going to lancaster in september, but have a few questions!
What is each college like?
How subscribed is each college? (list would be good!)
What is county standard like, i think it might be my favourite!?
Is lancaster city good to live in for second and third years?
Is it possible for me to take Mathematics, with a politics minor, as one is an art and the other is a science?

Sorry for so many questions!
Thanks!:biggrin:
To be honest, at the end of the day which college you end up in doesnt matter a huge amount after freshers week! Go for the type of accommodation you want, so if you want standard, then Bowland, County, Furness or Pendle, ensuite, any college. If you want to be in the centre of campus, then Bowland or County.
I know county main was refurbished last year, and County South is being done this year, but I am not entirely sure wether they are still standard. I'm pretty sure they are. Standard rooms tend to be a little bigger than ensuite, and are obviously cheaper, by about £20 a week.
Oversubscribed colleges.... umm, differs a little each year, I think.... Furness is usually pretty popular, almost everyone I know put Furness down in their choices, very few got it. I know two years ago Bowland was pretty undersubscribed, don't know about now.
As to the maths and politics, I'm pretty sure you can unless there are timetable clashes. You can take, to the best of my knowledge, any course with the right number of credits, so long as it doesn't clash with your major, no matter the faculty.
Reply 11
Thank you very much! That really helped!
Reply 12
yeah, in the prospectus it says that they are. There is apparently a supermarket there though.
Reply 13
Teao the Cat
To be honest, at the end of the day which college you end up in doesnt matter a huge amount after freshers week! Go for the type of accommodation you want, so if you want standard, then Bowland, County, Furness or Pendle, ensuite, any college. If you want to be in the centre of campus, then Bowland or County.
I know county main was refurbished last year, and County South is being done this year, but I am not entirely sure wether they are still standard. I'm pretty sure they are. Standard rooms tend to be a little bigger than ensuite, and are obviously cheaper, by about £20 a week.
Oversubscribed colleges.... umm, differs a little each year, I think.... Furness is usually pretty popular, almost everyone I know put Furness down in their choices, very few got it. I know two years ago Bowland was pretty undersubscribed, don't know about now.
As to the maths and politics, I'm pretty sure you can unless there are timetable clashes. You can take, to the best of my knowledge, any course with the right number of credits, so long as it doesn't clash with your major, no matter the faculty.

County South isn't being refurbished... it was brand new in 2006 (ensuite).

All Lancaster is self-catering, but there are these meal type card things you can buy (have no idea how it works, and nobody seems to rate it!) And there is a Spar and a LUSU supermarket on campus if you are desperate for anything.
Reply 14
Just adding to what has been said already...

Furness is very central [arguably more so than County]. You are not guaranteed the college you apply for or even your second choice, so don't set your heart on anything. As said, look for what type of accommodation you want and where on campus you want to be. If you definitely want ensuite for example, it might be best to apply for Fylde, Cartmel or Lonsdale as they are pretty much just ensuite, as a few people I know this year applied for ensuite and were given standard. You can use any of the bars on campus so that isn't really an issue (unless you want to be close to a particular one). Be aware that Lonsdale, Cartmel and "posh" Pendle (ie. ensuite) are at the south west part of campus which looks a bit like a toy town. Whilst it only takes about 10 minutes to get up to the heart of campus (Alex Sq) you are that bit further out. They have a few bars down there and Cartmel have a food outlet but there isn't a corner shop type thing to get your milk in the morning. :smile:

The city of Lancaster is good. Nice shops, history, some pubs/clubs etc. It is best to start early when house hunting for years two and three, especially if you are on a tight budget. Also, try not to be put off as you will probably see some horrid things. And, don't be afraid to look at houses that are not listed on LUSU as some can be really great. Other than that, I'd recommend checking out the different areas as some are said to be more dangerous than others (apparently behind the train station isn't good nor a few areas out to the other side of town for example) and making sure you consider the uni-rider. Living off campus doesn't have to be a problem but another good thing about Lancaster is that you don't have to live off campus. You can stay on all three years should you wish (well, there are cases of people not getting rooms but for the most part, if you want to, you can).

No idea about County standard as I am in Furness... And same goes for the Maths question. If Maths have minor options then I don't see why not (time table permitting).

As said, Furness is often quite popular as is Lonsdale.

With regards what each college is like... Well, there are stereotypes such as that Fylde is sporty and stuff but you can pretty much ignore them. You get a mix of people in all the colleges... :smile:
Reply 15
Absinth
Hey, are all standard rooms similar to the one I can see on the website? How popular are the townhouses and are they usually filled up really quickly? The townhouse bedroom looks quite impressive compared to the standard (http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/townhbed.gif). :p: Is it on a first-come-first-served basis?

The townhouses are very popular, and everyone I know who lives in one loves it.
It is hard to say whether they fill up quickly as this is the first year Lancs have had them, but I would guess that there will be a lot of people wanting them as they are cheaper than ensuite.
Reply 16
Absinth
Hey, are all standard rooms similar to the one I can see on the website? How popular are the townhouses and are they usually filled up really quickly? The townhouse bedroom looks quite impressive compared to the standard (http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/townhbed.gif). :p: Is it on a first-come-first-served basis?

Accommodation for second and third years is first come first serve.

With regards 1st years I am not so sure. The application process doesn't open until June (ish) and then they don't start to allocate rooms until after the results have been published in August. It probably is best to get in as early as you can though but don't worry too much if you haven't firmed etc yet (I didn't firm my place until May lol).

That standard room does look pretty similar. I can probably dig out some pictures of my standard room in Furness too. :smile:

The townhouses are brand new. I think they only opened to residents this year. Therefore, the furniture etc is more modern. The people I've spoken to in them seem to like them but I haven't seen a room in the flesh. With regards how quickly they fill up, there are 12 rooms to each one and quite a few townhouses so you probably have a good(ish) chance. They are only available for County and Grizedale colleges (I think) so it would probably be best to put those two as your choices if you really want a room in one. :smile:

Edit:

Here are a few pictures from my first day here. [It has now been filled with lots of personal thinks to make it my own lol :smile:].

Spoiler

Reply 17
Grizedale's the best :wink: Brand new + all that jazz lol
I have a couple of friends in county standard + they seem to like it enough. The kitchens there are pretty new I think, + quite nice. They have sofas in there too, I think only county + grizedale have that privilege! Not seen the actual rooms though.

I'm hoping living in the city'll be good :P haha I'm in chancellors wharf next year + looking forward to it!

You should be able to do maths with politics :smile: As long as there's no timetable clashes you'll be fine. I'll point out now that I'm doing maths at the mo, so if you've got any questions about the course then just ask :smile:
Reply 18
oo this has been really helpful, thanks!

Sofas sound great! I really cant decide on which to choose now! County and furness standards look good, but the townhouses in grizedale and county also look good. I know this is another question, but im confused. Are county standard and the townhouses next to each other. Also where are grizedale and furness and county in relation to each other?

xprincessx ive heard maths at degree level is a really big jumpn from a level, is that true?
Also as i have only doen maths a leve and not further maths, will i be disdvantaged?
Reply 19
ponpon14
Also where are grizedale and furness and county in relation to each other?

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/travel/images/campus.pdf

County is out to the east side of Alex Sq. Furness is just to the west of Alex Sq next to Spar and Sultans etc. Grizedale is further west, down towards George Fox. Which is most convent for you will depend on where your lectures etc are. For example, this term for Politics the lectures are in George Fox but the seminars are up in Bowland North which is close to County. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest