The Student Room Group

Student loan for foundation degree uni course?

Does anyone know if there are student loans for people doing a 2 year foundation degree course at uni?

x
Reply 1
Foundation degrees are Higher Education, so loans would be available provided the course itself is designated for funding and you are eligible on the other criteria, which include residency and previous study.
Reply 2
Taiko
Foundation degrees are Higher Education, so loans would be available provided the course itself is designated for funding and you are eligible on the other criteria, which include residency and previous study.

Cool, thanks :]
Reply 3
***harri***
Does anyone know if there are student loans for people doing a 2 year foundation degree course at uni?

x

This was my exact question as am in the same boat... will be doing a foundation degree and was wondering about loans, grants and such. How have you got on with your search and any channels in particular? Any pointers would be great...
Reply 4
DiscoDave06
This was my exact question as am in the same boat... will be doing a foundation degree and was wondering about loans, grants and such. How have you got on with your search and any channels in particular? Any pointers would be great...

From my research, i think that it's pretty much the same...have you found any useful info? Where are you studying?
Reply 5
I'm starting a 2 year foundation degree course followed by the final year of a BA course and I'll be getting the same loans/maintenance grants as I would if I were doing a 3 year BA course :biggrin:
I was a bit worried about this as well, so I called the student finance people and they said it would be exactly the same.
Reply 6
*kay*
I'm starting a 2 year foundation degree course followed by the final year of a BA course and I'll be getting the same loans/maintenance grants as I would if I were doing a 3 year BA course :biggrin:
I was a bit worried about this as well, so I called the student finance people and they said it would be exactly the same.

Yup, second that. Spoken to course tutor and was informed that grants and finance are avaliable for foundation degrees. I need to confirm finer details and points about the funding for part-time degrees and whether im entitled to any help at all as full-time studying looks less of a practical option. All positive feedback so far though, cant wait to get started : ) :woo:
Reply 7
***harri***
From my research, i think that it's pretty much the same...have you found any useful info? Where are you studying?

All going well should be studying in victoria, london. Had a chat and info session with course tutor and all looks ok funding wise. Only unanswered question i have is whether or not part-time funding is available. Sure i will find out when i talk to tutor next but i don't see why it should be a problem. Student finance were helpful on the phone with figures and info, pointed in right direction application wise where a few finer points needed specific attention. Another question i have is whether you apply for finance before confirmation of acceptance onto a course? It seems a strange way to do things, but my course doesnt officially enrol you for a good few months yet. Im sure the funding isnt quick at being processed but will have a look around the forums for others experience. Keen to get the ball rolling! How are you getting on?
Reply 8
I'm worried about this too. I'm going to MMU to study Art and Design. I don't think I get any loans although I will get EMA.
Reply 9
Dont think this is much help but I've just finished applying for student finance, I'm doing a foundation year in Sociology at MMU and I'll get the full grant and maintenance loans, thank God!

Best thing to do if you're unsure is phone or email the student finance people and explain your situation, much better than losing out on grants you're entitled to.
Reply 10
Thanks, well i started to apply for it but then i got to the part where i had to submit the course details. I haven't had all of my offers back yet, so cant accept any...

Does anyone know how long it takes? x
***harri***
Thanks, well i started to apply for it but then i got to the part where i had to submit the course details. I haven't had all of my offers back yet, so cant accept any...

Does anyone know how long it takes? x

Have you had your offers yet, hows the grant application progress going? I sent mine but student finance claim to not have received it. Looks like i have to re-do the application. Think im going to do it on-line this time. :frown:
fran.ha
I'm worried about this too. I'm going to MMU to study Art and Design. I don't think I get any loans although I will get EMA.

How far have you got with your research? I think you're pretty much entitled to full grants as its still in the same class as a normal degree. I would confirm but my application is up in the air at the moment, but having spoken to the people at student finance they didn't seem to think there would be a problem with obtaining grants for foundation degrees.
Will be re-submitting application a.s.a.p. so confirmation is still a while away.

Manchester impressed you?! hmmm
Reply 13
Sorry to butt in! I'm so confused about whether i can get a loan for doing a one year foundation course, I don't want to stay in my home town because there isn't any colleges near by that do a foundation course in art and design. The course itself would be free but I would need a loan for maintenance?
If anyone knows anything about this then it would be a great help! I'm absolutely clueless!
Reply 14
Hi Nichole, I am in the same boat looking for info on a 2-year FdSc, did you ever find any info on loans and maintenance? :smile:
Reply 15
hey, anyone do a foundation course in early years (2 years) ?
Reply 16
DETAILS ON WHO QUALIFIES FOR STUDENT LOAN:-

Your university or college
The university or college you plan to study at has to be one of the following:
a UK degree-awarding institution
a college that receives government funding and provides a course leading to a degree qualification
a private institution offering specifically designated higher education courses (ask your university or college if it qualifies)
a group of schools taking part in the School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) scheme
Your course
To be eligible for student finance your course should lead to one of the following qualifications:
first degree, such as a Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
Foundation Degree
Certificate of Higher Education
Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
Higher National Certificate (HNC)
Higher National Diploma (HND)
You’ll also usually qualify if you’re studying one of the following courses:
Initial Teacher Training
the further training of youth and community workers

HOPE IT HELPED :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending