The Student Room Group

Subjects for Dentistry

Well i have 2 combinations at the moment.
Which 1 would be better.

1) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, History

or

2) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Maths

Now obviously i know option 2 would be better as Maths is well respected but I'm not particularly very good at it, I'm working at B-level at GCSE but my teacher thinks i can get an A. Also i would only take it for AS and drop it.

also any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Reply 1
helllloooooo
Reply 2
jayman
Well i have 2 combinations at the moment.
Which 1 would be better.

1) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, History

or

2) Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Maths

Now obviously i know option 2 would be better as Maths is well respected but I'm not particularly very good at it, I'm working at B-level at GCSE but my teacher thinks i can get an A. Also i would only take it for AS and drop it.

also any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks

No you need maths basically.
Number 2, Maths As level is not too bad.
Reply 4
FinalFlash
Number 2, Maths As level is not too bad.

suppose i get a B at gcse, wud i be able to get a minumum of B at AS maths?
Reply 5
Adam92
No you need maths basically.

No you do not!
Reply 6
if you work hard you'll be able to get a B im sure, i'd say take maths.
2. Of course you could get a minimum B at AS if you work hard.
Reply 8
Email a few departments and ask whether they would prefer maths or history. If they say they don't mind, choose the one you will do better in. :biggrin:
jayman
suppose i get a B at gcse, wud i be able to get a minumum of B at AS maths?

Definitely, sadly i got a B in maths gcse and now working to get an A in maths as then possibly an A* in A2. Its the amount of work you put in.
Whichever you enjoy more and think you'll do better in; AFAIK maths isn't a requirement for dentistry anywhere.
Reply 11
Doing maths instead of history would lead to you doing a more scientific base of subjects, and I would have though put you in higher steed. Although, they may want you to have a general interest kind of subject, which history would fill. Have you looked at any universities and what they prefer with Dentistry?
Ideally a bit of both: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, History in my opinion.
History for variety and because you don't need maths, plus History is excellent.
Reply 14
Hedgehunter
History for variety and because you don't need maths, plus History is excellent.

thanks for advice every1.

ok i think i am going to take chemistry, biology, maths, history. the deadline to hand in the form to submit the subjects is very soon and i stil need to make my mind up.

im thinking of droppin maths after A/S level. are the subjects good or wud any1 suggest any improvements?
I want to do dentistry and I'm taking all three sciences and maths. :smile:

I know that biology and chemistry are like VERY important but you dont *need* math. It's great if you have it though. Psychology is a great one to have.
I think option 2 would be slightly better but I dont think it makes a huge difference.
jayman

ok i think i am going to take chemistry, biology, maths, history. the deadline to hand in the form to submit the subjects is very soon and i stil need to make my mind up.

im thinking of droppin maths after A/S level. are the subjects good or wud any1 suggest any improvements?

Subject combination is brilliant, but keep your options open about Maths. Depending upon the way your exam results go next year, you might want want to continue it to A2.
Reply 17
Do u know that universities accept maths studies for dentistry?
Reply 18
jayman

i did what ur planning to do...did bio maths chem and history at AS, dropped maths and carried on with the other 3 at A2 and have 3 offers so far..from what i found out when i did my research/made calls etc was that dental schools really don't care as long as you have bio and chem and other "academic" subjects..if you are in any doubt just ring up the dental schools you are thinking of applying to and seek clarification :smile:

Latest