The Student Room Group
It depends on the weight. Most microwave defrosting things work on the weight of the meat. Normally a minute, maybe a minute and a half is enough for me with a single chicken breast, so guess from there.

Best solution is just to get it out in the morning and leave it on the side so it defrosts naturally. Otherwise the chicken can start to cook itself if you put it in the microwave too long.
Reply 2
Joanna May
Best solution is just to get it out in the morning and leave it on the side so it defrosts naturally.

Not out on the side - then it'll be at room temperature (the 'danger zone' for the bacteria that cause food poisoning)

The absolute best way is to put it in the fridge the night before you want to cook it.

The second best (and quicker) way is to submerge it in a bowl of cold water - it should be completely thawed in about 20 minutes or so, and unlike the microwave it won't be cooked on the outside and frozen in the middle, and unlike "leaving it on the side" it will have been kept cold and out of the 'danger zone'.
munkie
Not out on the side - then it'll be at room temperature (the 'danger zone' for the bacteria that cause food poisoning)

The absolute best way is to put it in the fridge the night before you want to cook it.

The second best (and quicker) way is to submerge it in a bowl of cold water - it should be completely thawed in about 20 minutes or so, and unlike the microwave it won't be cooked on the outside and frozen in the middle, and unlike "leaving it on the side" it will have been kept cold and out of the 'danger zone'.

I've never had any problem leaving it on the side. Obviously, wrapped in cling film, not just literally dumped on the counter,or left open on a plate!
Reply 4
munkie

alright, say i use this method, i just fill up a big bowl of cold water, deep enough so the chicken is submerged, wait 20-30min and start to cook it, without having to leave it in a fridge overnight?

sorry if its an obvious question i just dont want to get poisioned! :o:
Reply 5
My Mum will leave lift it out from the freezer the night before and put it in the fridge then when it's time to cook it's already. :smile:

But otherwise I think munkie other suggestion sounds good, just have to be extra careful with raw meat.
Errrm can honestly say I have never defrosted meat in the microwave, purely because I don't trust it. But my mum just takes whatever meat out the night before; either submerge it in cold water or leave in a bowl (obv. covered) and let it thaw naturally.
Reply 7
H.JJJ
alright, say i use this method, i just fill up a big bowl of cold water, deep enough so the chicken is submerged, wait 20-30min and start to cook it, without having to leave it in a fridge overnight?

Exactly right!

Obviously feel to check it's not icy in the middle, if so just leave it 5 minutes more and check again.

Latest