The Student Room Group

PBL Universities

Is there anywhere I could find a list of universities that use PBL? I'm applying for entry in 2010 later this year. I went to an medical introductory course at Liverpool Uni a few weeks ago and PBL really appealed to me. Like I said before, is there any way that I could find a list of universities that do offer PBL for medicine?Thanks :smile:
Look on the unis websites?! :/

Most unis use PBL to an extent though.

Try googling medschoolsonline or something, they're usually pretty good.
Reply 2
Keele University use PBL for medicine, and I'm pretty sure Manchester do aswell (though I will have to check).
Every medical course is PBL to an extent as every clinical exercise involving patients is arguably a PBL exercise.

More PBL universities, that i'm aware of (though may be wrong), include:

Manchester, Keele, PMS, Liverpool, Glasgow, QMUL (Barts and the London), UEA and HYMS.
Reply 4
Could someone explain to me what PBL is exactly and what makes it different from more traditional ways of teaching?
sarahll
Could someone explain to me what PBL is exactly and what makes it different from more traditional ways of teaching?

More self-directed learning, less lectures... etc...
Reply 6
sarahll
**** off and find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-based_learning
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/326/7384/328
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/178/1/34
Toiletpaper8
Every medical course is PBL to an extent as every clinical exercise involving patients is arguably a PBL exercise.

More PBL universities, that i'm aware of (though may be wrong), include:

Manchester, Keele, PMS, Liverpool, Glasgow, QMUL (Barts and the London), UEA and HYMS.

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Thanks everyone else, too.
Reply 8
sarahll

PBL=Problem Based Learning.

This means that you are given a problem and it is up to you to find out as much about it as possible. You can do as little or as much as you want. Although, the more you do is generally better.. Unless you start forgetting how to live. :P

You often do PBL in small groups, but it can be tackled individually too. Different universities use it in different ways, so it's good to just ask them.

PBL learning is said to be more like what you would do as a doctor, since you're out and about, instead of sitting in lecture halls.

Remember, PBL universities will often have lectures too and vice versa.

I hope I've helped. :smile:

Muni.
xx
Reply 9
Renal
**** off and find out.

A beautiful way of summing up PBL....
Reply 10
bloody_student
A beautiful way of summing up PBL....

LOL :biggrin:
Reply 11
munim
PBL=Problem Based Learning.

This means that you are given a problem and it is up to you to find out as much about it as possible. You can do as little or as much as you want. Although, the more you do is generally better.. Unless you start forgetting how to live. :P

You often do PBL in small groups, but it can be tackled individually too. Different universities use it in different ways, so it's good to just ask them.

PBL learning is said to be more like what you would do as a doctor, since you're out and about, instead of sitting in lecture halls.

Remember, PBL universities will often have lectures too and vice versa.

I hope I've helped. :smile:

Muni.
xx

Thanks!!
Reply 12
sarahll
Thanks!!

No problem. :smile:

Muni.
xx
I went to that Medicine day at Liverpool Uni too :biggrin:

If you liked the look of PBL then definitely have a look at Manchester!
piece_by_piece
I went to that Medicine day at Liverpool Uni too :biggrin:

If you liked the look of PBL then definitely have a look at Manchester!

Cool :biggrin:
Thanks.
Thanks everyone too, I'll look further into those universities mentioned :smile:
Reply 15
chernij
Cool :biggrin:
Thanks.
Thanks everyone too, I'll look further into those universities mentioned :smile:

UEAs good for PBL :smile: not that i'm biased or anything :p:
kate0904
UEAs good for PBL :smile: not that i'm biased or anything :p:

And PMS! I am also clearly not biased. :o:
Reply 17
Renal
**** off and find out.

Hahaha exactly :smile:
Reply 18
Does anyone know how PBL is viewed by clinicians i.e. is it proven as an effective method of delivering the course? As far as I know the GMC lay down what must be covered in a medical degree but I was wondering how older people in the profession view PBL compared with more traditional lectures/teaching?
Reply 19
bobble888
Does anyone know how PBL is viewed by clinicians i.e. is it proven as an effective method of delivering the course? As far as I know the GMC lay down what must be covered in a medical degree but I was wondering how older people in the profession view PBL compared with more traditional lectures/teaching?
It's mixed, it depends on the individual's experience with it. Some have had positive experience, some negative and some refuse to try it at all.

If you're asking whether it'll affect your chances of getting jobs or your working relationship with colleagues, I would suggest that your own experiences, abilities and personality matter far more than where or how you trained.

Latest

Trending

Trending