The Student Room Group

Job Seekers Allowance: Not been paid into account

I put my claim in for JSA on the 17th December and I've been to "sign on" two times since! But my JSA hasnt been coming into my account?

Since the 17th, they've asked for proof that I've left full time education [of which I gave asap] and then last week they sent a letter to me saying that they need further information [ They wanted to know what course I was on?] of which I sent a response back.

Do you think they havent put the money into my account because they needed this info first? I dont see why they havent processed it already and what direct relevance the course I was on has?!

How often should the money go in? If weekly, then the day you sign on? Or at the end of the week?

I also heard that the moment you put your claim in, the money should start from then. If this is the case [its been four weeks since the 17th], then should I be getting an approximate of £49 x 4 = £196 into my account anytime soon?

I'm thinking I should get that money since I put my claim in, regardless of the lack of information they had.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
IIRC from the last time I tried to sign on about nine years ago, you need to sign on every single week in order to get anything. In addition to this if you're living at home the chances are that you'll get nothing for income based jobskeers allowance (not 100% certain on this though, I'm assuming that they'd count your parents income, etc...), and unless you've done a lot of part-time work you are unlikely to qualify for contribution based jobskeekers allowance.

My suggestion would be to ring them and ask, or at least check out the relevant website. You should be able to get there from www.direct.gov.uk. As it happens I'm going to need to sign on pretty soon...
Reply 2
I was told to sign on every two weeks though and I was told that I was eligible for Job seekers allowance. Otherwise, there would be no point in going to sign on if I weren't eligible.
Reply 3
KadeK
I put my claim in for JSA on the 17th December and I've been to "sign on" two times since! But my JSA hasnt been coming into my account?

Since the 17th, they've asked for proof that I've left full time education [of which I gave asap] and then last week they sent a letter to me saying that they need further information [ They wanted to know what course I was on?] of which I sent a response back.

Do you think they havent put the money into my account because they needed this info first? I dont see why they havent processed it already and what direct relevance the course I was on has?!

How often should the money go in? If weekly, then the day you sign on? Or at the end of the week?

I also heard that the moment you put your claim in, the money should start from then. If this is the case [its been four weeks since the 17th], then should I be getting an approximate of £49 x 4 = £196 into my account anytime soon?

I'm thinking I should get that money since I put my claim in, regardless of the lack of information they had.

Have you received your benefit acceptance letter yet? I'd ring them up if you've signed on twice and you havent received any money.

Welcome to the dole, land of incompetant idiots who get power rushes off seeing jobless people struggle with no money.
Reply 4
No I havent recieved my acceptance letter yet but thought that I should be paid for the past few weeks when I get it.
Reply 5
Why is it called dole?
Reply 6
KadeK

They will come to a decision and write to you, confirming that a decision has been made. If your claim's accepted then it will tell you how much you're entitled to, how much will be paid in as a first sum and should tell you when the first payment with take place.

KadeK

Fortnightly from your first payment.

KadeK

The payments get backdated to when you first made the claim. Once they've decided you're entitled to it you should have this amount paid in as a lump sum.
teaboy
Why is it called dole?

Because it is doled out.
when you go to sign on, do they get angry if you haven't given out CV's and stuff to any jobs?
footballcrazy12
when you go to sign on, do they get angry if you haven't given out CV's and stuff to any jobs?

probably..

im in the process of applying for it right now, and im screwed because i dont have any proof of my address, all mail is still going to my moms house, but i live at my dads,
footballcrazy12

No, but they help you make applications.
Good bloke
No, but they help you make applications.

I can turn up today with no applications and they will help make applications with me?
footballcrazy12
I can turn up today with no applications and they will help make applications with me?

Well, they may ask you to come back again, after you are registered, and there may not be anything for you to apply for today, but they will certainly help you.
Ok kewl, im going for the first time, two weeks ago I done the interview, it was confirmed im entitled to JSA. Haven't received payment yet though, just hoping they wont screw when I go to sign on.
Reply 14
footballcrazy12

You have a job search diary and you're expected to fill it in. If they don't think you're making enough of an effort they make arrange an interview with an adviser, discuss things, do intensive job searches. But so long as you're doing what's expected of you and what's set out in your job seekers agreement (usually the required minimum is to search the job centre website twice a week and check the local paper) then that's OK. They may encourange you to register with agencies and can give you help and support with CV writing etc.
Reply 15
footballcrazy12

Depends what it says in your Job Seekers Agreement, if you haven't kept to the terms of that (for instance I have to use the internet 4 times a week to search for jobs) then they'll freeze your payments.

OP, when I signed on, a few weeks after you, they said that it's taking at least 5 weeks for the first payments to be made, just cos of the sheer volume of claims being made at the moment, so don't worry. I'd leave it 6 or 7 weeks, and if still nothing, bring it up with the person you see when you go into to sign on
Tallulah G
Depends what it says in your Job Seekers Agreement, if you haven't kept to the terms of that (for instance I have to use the internet 4 times a week to search for jobs) then they'll freeze your payments.

OP, when I signed on, a few weeks after you, they said that it's taking at least 5 weeks for the first payments to be made, just cos of the sheer volume of claims being made at the moment, so don't worry. I'd leave it 6 or 7 weeks, and if still nothing, bring it up with the person you see when you go into to sign on

5 weeks? ****.. i need it sooner than that. hopefully ill be successful with my interviews in the next few weeks
yeh sign on was straight forward, he asked if I had applied anywhere and I said one place which I haven't and he signed me on.
Reply 18
Jobseekers is so annoying! Signed up on the 5th Jan, got £61 for 2 and half weeks, they pay it out really strangely!
ive got my interview with them on friday.. hope it goes well..

Latest