The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

I'm getting back into TKD this term, finally! Too broke last term. ¬_¬
Reply 1021
jeet kune do... the way of master bruce lee.

After all it was created specifically for street fighting. Its like a mix of fencing, boxing, wushu you name it. Very offensive and absolutely kick ass.

Although if i had the option i would do balintawak which is a derivative of the old martial arts called eskrima. Too bad i cant continue with it as there are no trainers around for it in the UK
I find myself very "protective" of the martial art i do, anyone the same?
Like you try to justify that the martial art you do is the best choice
if poeple didnt hear me the first time, how do you join this society?
ChaosAngel
I find myself very "protective" of the martial art i do, anyone the same?
Like you try to justify that the martial art you do is the best choice

yeh in a way, but its clear that if you know more than one technique/style and can utilise them in an effective and relevant way, then your gona be a better fighter.
Reply 1025
sonic23
if poeple didnt hear me the first time, how do you join this society?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=7

Go to the link above, scroll down to Martial Arts society and on your right hand side click on : Join this soc, or any other society you would like to join. :smile:
Guvnor
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=7

Go to the link above, scroll down to Martial Arts society and on your right hand side click on : Join this soc, or any other society you would like to join. :smile:

Thank you very much:smile:
would anyone recomend taekwondo and muay thai done together?
...my 'sensei' refers to muay thai kicks as baseball swings so..lol
i dont know what the hell is tht?

but taekwondo kicks are snap kicks and muay thai kicks are through swings so theyre very different and it would be hard to use both styles and not get confused between the techniques.

thats why i dont know if it would be easy as MMA....
Reply 1030
sonic23

What have you trained in and for how long ? I really would not recommend anyone to cross-train unless they have got at least 6 months or 1 years experience in training in their current martial art. Then after that once you get used to it then you can see what works for you and what you need to work on.

If you do have the right amount of experience and know exactly what your looking for, why don't you give it a try and see how it goes ?
Guvnor
What have you trained in and for how long ? I really would not recommend anyone to cross-train unless they have got at least 6 months or 1 years experience in training in their current martial art. Then after that once you get used to it then you can see what works for you and what you need to work on.

If you do have the right amount of experience and know exactly what your looking for, why don't you give it a try and see how it goes ?

taekwondo for 6 months -fairly comfortable with it
Reply 1032
sonic23

I don't think that would be a good idea. Stick with either one. Style and stances are VERY different.
Krush
I don't think that would be a good idea. Stick with either one. Style and stances are VERY different.

i know but the taekwondo syllabus is daunting and i like the agrressive aspect of muay thai + extra fitness
Reply 1034
sonic23
i know but the taekwondo syllabus is daunting and i like the agrressive aspect of muay thai + extra fitness

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the taekwondo syllabus being daunting. Are you on about learning the poomse forms and all the techniques?

From the sound of it, you seem to prefer muay thai. In that case go for it.

The reason why I suggested not to combine both is that I have done so for both karate and muay thai, not a lot of overlap between the two but just about enough to make it hard switching from karate to muay thai, took me more than a year to adapt.

Good combinations are karate+taekwondo for example. Or muay thai+mma.
Krush
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the taekwondo syllabus being daunting. Are you on about learning the poomse forms and all the techniques?

From the sound of it, you seem to prefer muay thai. In that case go for it.

The reason why I suggested not to combine both is that I have done so for both karate and muay thai, not a lot of overlap between the two but just about enough to make it hard switching from karate to muay thai, took me more than a year to adapt.

Good combinations are karate+taekwondo for example. Or muay thai+mma.

did u completely stop karate?
what belt did u get up 2
Reply 1036
sonic23
did u completely stop karate?
what belt did u get up 2

Yeah I stopped completely now, went up to 1st dan (black).
Krush
Yeah I stopped completely now, went up to 1st dan (black).

ahhh. so im gona continue tkd for some time and then try muay thai. the reason being ur approach seems too time-consuming. if i find muay thai very dificult il have to choose between one. did u initially find it hard?
Reply 1038
sonic23
ahhh. so im gona continue tkd for some time and then try muay thai. the reason being ur approach seems too time-consuming. if i find muay thai very dificult il have to choose between one. did u initially find it hard?

It requires significantly more physical stamina than karate (and probably taekwondo too) so in that respect, it is harder. Techniques-wise, learning the basics of muay thai (throwing jabs, elbows, knees, uppercuts...) isn't hard. It's getting better that takes a while...

But the main problem I had was the transition, but this may be due to the fact that I've been doing karate for so long.
Judo/Aikido anyone? in london?

Quick Reply

Latest