The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

I didn't know it was Burns night today... well I found out earlier from my friend, but I never ever know the date so that's my excuse!

Gah, results stuff is ridiculous. The university talks so much crap it can be untrue sometimes... it really doesn't take that long for things to be stuck on webct by the registry! I think mine came out during week 6 in second year, as it was around essay period.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
Gah, results stuff is ridiculous.

That is one very true statement. I'm sure all my first year results were in in the first couple of weeks (which I was surprised about at the time, but the more time I spend here the more I know that that was truly unlikely) and this year I have course organisers coming up with bizarre excuses.
Reply 22
Happy burns night folks :smile:

I got 65% in my psychology 1 december exam which I am pleased with, still waiting on sociology 1a though!
artorscience?
That is one very true statement. I'm sure all my first year results were in in the first couple of weeks (which I was surprised about at the time, but the more time I spend here the more I know that that was truly unlikely) and this year I have course organisers coming up with bizarre excuses.

What excuses are they coming up with?
I really can't remember what you study either, sorry... are you in SPS too?

Jillee
I got 65% in my psychology 1 december exam which I am pleased with, still waiting on sociology 1a though!

That's really good, well done! Don't work too hard though, you're only in first year!
oxymoronic
What excuses are they coming up with?
I really can't remember what you study either, sorry... are you in SPS too?

Not anymore. I escaped at the end of last year so now I'm only Archaeology (doing Celtic Literature, Scottish History and first year European History on the side - yes 4 courses because I had thought that I might want to transfer/apply to Arch and History for honours but currently I'm probably going to stay just Archaeology).

But the excuses I have had so far is that results are slow at getting to us solely because they have to be given to registry to be announced on MyEd. And Celtic put very casually that the examiners' meeting didn't fall until the 23rd... that one mostly makes me laugh as I am all too aware of that department's need to plan meetings almost literally years in advance.
Reply 25
77 in Chem 2 :biggrin:

Still waiting on another chemistry module, and 2 maths modules argh!
Reply 26
Hello,

Does any current Edinburgh student know when the winter exam results will be out. I seem to remember them being out a lot earlier last year. I'm thinking of philosophy specifically but was wondering if other subjects had had their results back yet. Cheers.
Obscured
Does any current Edinburgh student know when the winter exam results will be out.

Technically it should be during January, I know that I'm not getting some of mine until mid-February though - if you're concerned ask your course organiser or course secretary.
Reply 28
I haven't had any exam results back yet. Russian doesn't count.
Reply 29
artorscience?
But the excuses I have had so far is that results are slow at getting to us solely because they have to be given to registry to be announced on MyEd. And Celtic put very casually that the examiners' meeting didn't fall until the 23rd... that one mostly makes me laugh as I am all too aware of that department's need to plan meetings almost literally years in advance.

the examiners meeting for medicine is on the 30th :o:

and we have had our optional feedback session timetabled for a wednesday afternoon because they forgot they had times some peoples projects on the wednesday afternoon!

i will deffinately know by the 4th :frown:
I haven't had any results back yet. Last year it took till the first weekend of February to get them back. On top of that, this year, they've decided that all the exam results are provisional till June anyway, so we won't even get official results, just something they'll put up on webct instead of myed.
Reply 31
Cheers I won't get too nervous just yet then!
artorscience?
Not anymore. I escaped at the end of last year so now I'm only Archaeology (doing Celtic Literature, Scottish History and first year European History on the side - yes 4 courses because I had thought that I might want to transfer/apply to Arch and History for honours but currently I'm probably going to stay just Archaeology).

God they are so annoying!!
At least you know that the rest of the university is still waiting too.

Your course situation sounds kind of like mine, I've changed my mind and degree too many times to count. I love Scotland.
oxymoronic
Your course situation sounds kind of like mine, I've changed my mind and degree too many times to count. I love Scotland.

The most difficult bit is that now I need to work out what I want to do. But I knew I'd be like this when I applied in the first place so I only really considered Scotland. It amuses me that so few people know of the system and those that do don't understand it, because for me it was the primary concern when picking an institution. Scottish education is wonderful. :smile:
artorscience?
The most difficult bit is that now I need to work out what I want to do. But I knew I'd be like this when I applied in the first place so I only really considered Scotland. It amuses me that so few people know of the system and those that do don't understand it, because for me it was the primary concern when picking an institution. Scottish education is wonderful. :smile:

Same, I applied to Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. If it all went wrong on results day I'd already contacted Aberdeen and asked if I could go there instead based on my AS grades (they said yes).

The fact you get the tripos system is such an advantage - if I'd have only been doing linguistics I'd have been screwed, as I love it, but it wasn't exactly what I was wanting so spent second year resenting it.

Have you spoken to your DOS? (ha yeah I know, they probs won't help if they're anything like mine) I think the deadline for changing courses is at the end of the semester so you've got a wee while longer yet. I'd have a look at the module choices in 3rd and 4th year before you make a decision as this was the thing which swayed me one way rather than the other last year as there were way more anth ones which I was desperate to do. You will be able to find the choices for this the 08-09 year online as they don't seem to release honours choices until in the revision period, so after you can change your degree.
oxymoronic
Have you spoken to your DOS? (ha yeah I know, they probs won't help if they're anything like mine) I think the deadline for changing courses is at the end of the semester so you've got a wee while longer yet. I'd have a look at the module choices in 3rd and 4th year before you make a decision as this was the thing which swayed me one way rather than the other last year as there were way more anth ones which I was desperate to do.

I spoke to him over the summer and was convinced to stick with Archaeology (and as I don't really know what I'd be better off doing, and I've now got this far I should probably keep going), the funny thing being that he knows nothing of what the course requires never mind what I might need to do to change course. And he knows that I was looking at what I would need to do to combine History with Archaeology (although the more I study Scottish History, the more I am put off it... and History as a whole, which is a shame but it happens). Which leaves me thinking about combining with Celtic which I'm not sure about as I'm not a big literature person, and I'm terrified of putting the grade of my degree in any part down to my ability to learn a language... but I'll keep toying with the idea, and probably have a chat or two with people in the department, I'm sure they want me (and if they don't that'd settle it). And having looked at Archaeology's module options, there are enough that I'd be interested in - I need more information on them (there are a few that I'll pick by staff member), which makes me a bit of an anomaly in the Archaeology department as quite a lot of my coursemates have known since half way through first year what options they'd be wanting to do - which obviously might leave them in the predicament of not being able to do what they've set their hearts on depending on which modules are running next year...

...easy peasy!
Reply 36
Weird but my results came out today after posting this thread. Passed thank heavens!
Obscured
Weird but my results came out today after posting this thread. Passed thank heavens!

Well done. Your post clearly sparked a chain reaction leading to the magical appearance of results.
artorscience?
I spoke to him over the summer and was convinced to stick with Archaeology (and as I don't really know what I'd be better off doing, and I've now got this far I should probably keep going), the funny thing being that he knows nothing of what the course requires never mind what I might need to do to change course. And he knows that I was looking at what I would need to do to combine History with Archaeology (although the more I study Scottish History, the more I am put off it... and History as a whole, which is a shame but it happens). Which leaves me thinking about combining with Celtic which I'm not sure about as I'm not a big literature person, and I'm terrified of putting the grade of my degree in any part down to my ability to learn a language... but I'll keep toying with the idea, and probably have a chat or two with people in the department, I'm sure they want me (and if they don't that'd settle it). And having looked at Archaeology's module options, there are enough that I'd be interested in - I need more information on them (there are a few that I'll pick by staff member), which makes me a bit of an anomaly in the Archaeology department as quite a lot of my coursemates have known since half way through first year what options they'd be wanting to do - which obviously might leave them in the predicament of not being able to do what they've set their hearts on depending on which modules are running next year...

...easy peasy!

Complicated!!
Thats sort of how I was last year, and trying to apply for a year abroad whilst changing your degree to a different school isn't reccommended as both of them are like 'well you're not our problem anymore/yet'.

Good idea with regards to Celtic - speak to the lecturers and/or current 3rd and 4th years. Even with Celtic Lit do you still have to learn the language then... presumably Gaelic? Even though it seems scary to be going with a subject you never though you would doesn't mean it'll be bad - if I'd have known my degree was going to end up this way I'd have been very unsure of starting it in the first place!
Yeah I think in 2nd year people go one way or the other, some people are desperate to get into the higher years and do the courses they have their heart set on and others are thinking noooo I have to make decisions about my life soon! As you say though just because your friends think they've got it sorted doesn't mean that they can do all of the options as sometimes they're not available etc.

Have you still got the same DOS as last year then?
I'm on DOS number 3 from where I was this time last year, who is DOS number 5 over all!
oxymoronic
Good idea with regards to Celtic - speak to the lecturers and/or current 3rd and 4th years. Even with Celtic Lit do you still have to learn the language then... presumably Gaelic?

Well it's not compulsory - Scottish Gaelic is fairly off limits by now because it's taught as any foreign language so I would have needed to do it years 1 and 2, before concentrating on literature/culture in honours years. If I did Celtic, I would be doing medieval literature, so whilst (I don't think) they force you to learn a language, it's encouraged (both for the sake of learning and because there is a very limited number of modules that are non-gaelic) to learn either Old Irish or Medieval Welsh (starting from next year anyway), and study literature both in language and in translation. So being medieval languages, it's not as much about spoken proficiency and use of the language, there's stuff that I need to think about - and still more that I need to know.

Have you still got the same DOS as last year then?
I'm on DOS number 3 from where I was this time last year, who is DOS number 5 over all!

How do you get through so many DoS's?

In Archaeology, one member of staff is DoS to all undergraduate students so unless I get rid of Archaeology altogether he's the man. It's insane, I don't know whether he lost a bet and has to be perma-DoS or whether he enjoys it, but it looks like he's terribly confused about having students come to his office when they do...

Quick Reply